PDA

View Full Version : Detentions - what u think?

UnrealGoffEmo
03-03-2015, 02:58 PM
If I am in the wrong I'll accept a "detto" but not if am not right, like 98% of the class cause you to land a "Class Detto", - that is unfair one suffering for all and all for one I think!

I'll make a fuss and may appear clever about it un-itentionaly when moaning about it or same if it's a miniscunal matter that I am in bother for - as without being funny etc I'm an hard worker in general!/and try ma best and don't really get on the wrong side of the Teach's! Who else agrees that "Dettos" can be too soft or too harsh - given the above scenarios!?! :D

Prosiary
03-03-2015, 03:08 PM
If you're being naughty/disruptive in class you deserve a punishment as it distracts others.

Alysha
03-03-2015, 03:09 PM
I just got on with it, I never really had personal detentions, just class ones. If you didn't make a fuss, you were allowed to leave early.
No point in causing riots.
Teachers teach; class detention, although most of the time, it's just laziness on the teacher's part, also act as a deterrent for the future. No one wants to be the kid that causes the class detention, because everyone then hates that person. It's all a lesson :D

MKR&*42
03-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Class detentions are stupid, don't punish everyone for the actions of a few individual morons.

The only detentions I had were class ones, they were just eugh it's stupid dragging us all there cause some kid can't behave.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Class detentions are stupid, don't punish everyone for the actions of a few individual morons.

The only detentions I had were class ones, they were just eugh it's stupid dragging us all there cause some kid can't behave.

Exactly my point in my opening post m8.

I prob do 2 or 3 things a year or 3 or 4 I shouldn't and we still get "Class Dettos" ... and yeah u accept when your wrong but what about being a bit fair and drawing the line and not punishing everyone or if the 1 kid alone is a culprit - give him/her an option to redeem themselves and then lay down "the heavy law"!

No point taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut as always been my outlook /theory!!

Prosiary
03-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Class detentions are stupid, but if you've got a detention by your self for being disruptive/obnoxious/naughty or what ever you have done, well that's deserved as you can disrupt the class from learning, which obviously the teacher wont laugh. I don't agree with class detention UNLESS every one in the room deserves one, which then the class deserves one.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Class detentions are stupid, but if you've got a detention by your self for being disruptive/obnoxious/naughty or what ever you have done, well that's deserved as you can disrupt the class from learning, which obviously the teacher wont laugh. I don't agree with class detention UNLESS every one in the room deserves one, which then the class deserves one.

Agreed in full m8 yeah

Thoug not as am a "Teach Pet" I like to try and be good but occasionaly muck things up as we all do = taking the sad detto, but if it's petty well ....

David
03-03-2015, 03:33 PM
class detentions happened twice to me, and i walked out anyway while everyone sat there obediently. what was the teacher gonna do to stop me?
and when i skipped personal detentions, all they did was schedule another. which i skipped. they gave up eventually after my parents backed me. :P

detentions aren't the best form of punishment. same with written exercises. not gonna stop anyone being disruptive again.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
class detentions happened twice to me, and i walked out anyway while everyone sat there obediently. what was the teacher gonna do to stop me?
and when i skipped personal detentions, all they did was schedule another. which i skipped. they gave up eventually after my parents backed me. :P

detentions aren't the best form of punishment. same with written exercises. not gonna stop anyone being disruptive again.

Good idea David mate - bet they soon got the idea!

I like your style - wish I'd got such guts!

AgnesIO
03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Class detentions can act as an excellent form of deterrent, as rather than just the teacher trying to get a few kids to shut up, the rest of the class will want them to too.

Generally, punishments in British schools are far too soft. The education system would be improved greatly if discipline was existent.

- - - Updated - - -

If I am in the wrong I'll accept a "detto" but not if am not right, like 98% of the class cause you to land a "Class Detto", - that is unfair one suffering for all and all for one I think!

I'll make a fuss and may appear clever about it un-itentionaly when moaning about it or same if it's a miniscunal matter that I am in bother for - as without being funny etc I'm an hard worker in general!/and try ma best and don't really get on the wrong side of the Teach's! Who else agrees that "Dettos" can be too soft or too harsh - given the above scenarios!?! :D

I highly doubt that.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Class detentions can act as an excellent form of deterrent, as rather than just the teacher trying to get a few kids to shut up, the rest of the class will want them to too.

Dunno if I can agree here mate - why should one suffer coz of the rest!!?

Or worse - if a group of 2/3 don't own up - why should the rest suffer too!!?

AgnesIO
03-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Dunno if I can agree here mate - why should one suffer coz of the rest!!?

Or worse - if a group of 2/3 don't own up - why should the rest suffer too!!?

I'm not your mate.

Also, because (a) if the teacher can't prove who it is, a class detention will often bring out the culprit, and (b) it is pretty rare - from my experience, at least - for a class detention to be given without a significant majority in the class being ********s.

-:Undertaker:-
03-03-2015, 08:08 PM
If I could go back now and was given a class dentention, I would walk out.

Usually I found class dententions used to make me and others more sympathetic to the person who was the problem and turn against the teacher.

Empired
03-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Life isn't fair so school won't be fair. I've done one class detention and think it's a good form of punishment. I remember just how furious everyone was with the two people acting up when we got held back 10 minutes but, hey, it never happened again so it clearly worked. It's not fair but school never promised to be fair.

Never had a personal detention but anyone who calls detentions "dettos" deserves to be kept back an hour after school ;l ;l I'm kidding but you just gotta get on with them. Sometimes they're unjustified but just take them. Work life is going to be unfair in the future and you just have to accept it or quit. Better get the practice in now.

Sian
05-03-2015, 06:44 AM
I think you need to behave and concentrate on you English lessons. Not got a clue what you're trying to say...

UnrealGoffEmo
07-03-2015, 09:12 PM
If I could go back now and was given a class dentention, I would walk out.

Usually I found class dententions used to make me and others more sympathetic to the person who was the problem and turn against the teacher.

Wow ... bet you was a "card" at school. Bet you had no troubles being coy etc Lol

Explorator
07-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Never had detentions for bad behaviour before. I only ever had one for not doing homework or something like that.

I don't think they really change anything tbh.

AgnesIO
07-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Wow ... bet you was a "card" at school. Bet you had no troubles being coy etc Lol

What on earth is a 'card'?

UnrealGoffEmo
07-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Never had detentions for bad behaviour before. I only ever had one for not doing homework or something like that.

This is what grnds with me too - if you are good in general etc - why give them I think ... but the trouble-causers gain rewards of a good nature (not dettos) ... That is well sick!!

Bloop
08-03-2015, 02:32 AM
detentions are boring and lame as hell i would rather community work and they call the detentin room timeout room in my school i cnt even

AgnesIO
08-03-2015, 12:30 PM
detentions are boring and lame as hell i would rather community work and they call the detentin room timeout room in my school i cnt even

I agree. Don't stick a kid in detention doing nothing, make them do some work - makes it worthwhile for everyone...

UnrealGoffEmo
08-03-2015, 06:33 PM

True me too. All these fancy terms - like a "timeout room" is daft I think!

Kardan
10-03-2015, 10:03 PM

Class detentions can work wonders. Some kids don't mind being told to shut up by the teacher, but when their own friends start telling them it's a different story. Although I only do class detentions if the class as a whole is being disruptive. If it's 2 or 3, it's far easier to keep them back by themselves.

-:Undertaker:-
11-03-2015, 02:00 AM

What on earth is a 'card'?

Seconded.

I was a good kid at school, but the times when teachers (usually senior management as all my class teachers were generally amazing and fair) used to try and get me and others into trouble for little things when the bad kids just got let off all the time pissed me right off and I would argue against it and was successful most of the time. Apply the rules fairly and get a grip on the little horrors who are the problem.

I was quiet in my first years at secondary school but I would still speak up if I was in the right. Always have.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!