PDA

View Full Version : Class Participation

Phil
06-03-2015, 06:13 PM
In my course like all of my modules are mainly marked by what we do in class. We were in Culinary Studies yesterday and the lecturer said the some of us are failing because even though we are attending all the classes we aren't actively participating.

Personally I am quite good at participating at least enough to know she's not talking about me lol. I know a few people are shy, nervous etc. and that will effect how well they participate which sucks for them.

Do you participate well?

welshcake
06-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I get nervous to participate but when I am actually say, speaking in class or something, I really get into it and then I'm happy enough to speak throughout the rest of the lecture.

Alysha
06-03-2015, 06:16 PM
It honestly depends on the subject, most theory based things don't entice me to participate. Seminars and discussion based things freak me out, whereas in a production module, I don't have to speak, my work is based on what I do, and I just work better in that sort of environment

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Depends on the class. I remember one class I never spoke a word. Every time I tried someone would laugh at me. wasn't really a supportive class. then another class where I was the loudest. I do try to participate but usually get drowned out by louder personalities.

Matt
07-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm generally too nervous to participate in front of groups of people. I hate it so much. As I've just started classes this week I know a large part of my marks for tutorials are given for participation. I think it sucks ;l I also get jealous of the people in my classes who are really confident and always seem to say really good things in discussions.

Richie
07-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Usually I get paired with people I actually speak to so it's never really awkward conversations but yeah sometimes it can be tough to participate in a group.

Kyle
07-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Always make an effort to make some kind of contribution in seminars and make sure to read around the subject/s so I'm able to offer a different standpoint to everybody else. I especially like to play devils advocate in discussions to get people to think a bit more which seems to go down well. I once had a module where nobody would respond to the lecturer and she ended up having to explain everything in detail which was annoying so that's where my need to participate and get others to participate to feel I was getting something out of it spawned I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kardan
07-03-2015, 12:00 PM
At school I did, at university, not so much.

Gibs960
07-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I prolly participate too much, I get complained at for talking too much even if it's on topic :S

Martin
07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
It's funny because all through school (and college the first time around when I was young and stupid) I was the shy, nervous one that would know most of the answers but would always be too afraid to speak out or have the confidence to contribute actively to discussions etc.

Now that I'm doing my access course.... because I get on with absolutely everybody on the course and because I think I've done a lot of 'growing up' and confidence boosting over the past few years- I'm probably one of the loudest people on the course haha! It feels so amazing to be able to take part in the discussions and debates etc and be able to confidently shout out answers etc! I'm loving it in Psychology especially as it feels so good to be able to prove I know what I'm talking about!

but yeah participation isn't really an issue for me any more and I feel so much better for it! :P

Showder
07-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm one of the loudest in class and I'm kind of glad to say that I also am pretty witty during class discussions. But I've been trying to tone it down for the past term, mainly because I've been irritated by many things in school and etc.

UnrealGoffEmo
07-03-2015, 09:08 PM
In my course like all of my modules are mainly marked by what we do in class. We were in Culinary Studies yesterday and the lecturer said the some of us are failing because even though we are attending all the classes we aren't actively participating.

Personally I am quite good at participating at least enough to know she's not talking about me lol. I know a few people are shy, nervous etc. and that will effect how well they participate which sucks for them.

Do you participate well?

Depends on the subject and who is in the group and who you are lumbere/paired with. If it is ppl who are prepared to work/gleam ideas I am fine with it, but not if they just don't try as inevitably it happens that the mix is chosen from the best and worst performing students

-:Undertaker:-
07-03-2015, 11:55 PM
I always participated but less so nowadays cos I cba.

Did it in school because I wanted to, did it in university because I felt sorry for the lecturer not getting any responses so I purposely said controversial things to provoke a response either from fellow students in the class or the lecturer himself *usually the lecturer lmao*

Bloop
08-03-2015, 02:12 AM
only when the teacher isnt boring af and thr is alr one going on, then i would join in

Prosiary
08-03-2015, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm one of the loudest in class and I'm kind of glad to say that I also am pretty witty during class discussions. But I've been trying to tone it down for the past term, mainly because I've been irritated by many things in school and etc.

I'm one of the loudest but hate participating, my course (Cookery) has made me like participating with others a bit, well you have to tbh. Whenever I see new people/have to participate with new people/lower levels I get really anxious :/

Kimmy
08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I get too nervous with participation. Anxiety makes it hard to speak up, and more or less all of the time, I'm stuck in the background with all of the answers but no courage to say them.

If I feel confident I can really get into subjects/practical work. Like with music, it's easier to lose yourself. Somehow, it was always harder with academics.

AgnesIO
08-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Yes, I do. Why bother turning up to sit there like a lemon?

thms
08-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I was too shy in school to participate in class discussions

Absently
09-03-2015, 01:41 AM
I never really did in school because I was so shy and it always used to get sent home in my report cards :( in college I quite enjoyed participating because I was at ease with the people surrounding me. In my seminars at uni, I honestly don't feel comfortable. My class consists of a lot of older people (40s+) who are ridiculously rude to myself and the younger people in my class and give off a vibe that they think they are far better than us, they are the ones constantly barging in and not giving anybody a chance really and even if I did get a shot at it, I feel Id be sneered at by them

Funny considering they're supposedly the mature students

Lindsey
09-03-2015, 02:23 AM
In my courses I'm not required to participate, however, in Highschool I always struggled to participate.

Matt
10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Yes, I do. Why bother turning up to sit there like a lemon?

because some people learn better by listening to other people. I quite enjoy listening to the points made by others and I do learn from it. In saying that, I do participate when I have to it's just I'd just prefer to listen to the points other people make.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!