PDA

View Full Version : Should Top Gears' Jeremy Clarkson be saved or sacked?

-:Undertaker:-
12-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Should Top Gears' Jeremy Clarkson by saved or sacked?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02025/Jeremy-Clarkson_2025322a.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson as of now has been suspended from the BBC for a as of yet unexplained incident which is rumoured to be a bust up between him and backstage staff. However, the highly successful presenter of the popular show Top Gear is no stranger to controversy and has been warned by the BBC previously for calling the former British Prime Minister a "One-eyed Scottish idiot" as well as making stereotypical jokes about Mexicans. Supporters of Clarkson will say that this is simply comedy and banter, whilst detractors such as those in the executive of the BBC will claim these remarks have been offensive and that Clarkson simply pushes the line too far each time bringing the organisation unwanted attention.

But regardless of the present incident, do you think Clarkson has been pushing his luck or is that what makes him and his show Top Gear so successful in that it does seek to make fun of people, groups and not take itself too seriously? Or do you think his remarks have been offensive in the past and that it is time for the BBC to take action against Clarkson despite his popularity with the public?

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum and within the coming weeks we'll hopefully have some new awards and prizes to be won in this forum and beyond. Focus on putting a good argument forward, try to be controversial and you'll be rewarded!

The debate is open to you.

ToxicMint
12-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Sack him he is a waste of space

GommeInc
12-03-2015, 08:58 AM
It really depends on what happened. If he actually attacked someone then he should probably be sacked. If it was a verbal argument then probably not.

It seems weird to speculate since the full details are yet to come out.

lRhyss
12-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Didn't he punch someone? Or was that a rumour?

I don't agree with what he did if he punched someone, but without Clarkson, Top Gear ratings will plummet massively, and I'd imagine a Facebook group would be set up telling people to boycott the BBC (lmfao)

j0rd
12-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Think it's a bit too early to choose at the moment. We probably don't even know a pinch of what actually happened so I do feel it's impossible to say yes or no at the moment!

scottish
12-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Here's some comments I agree with from the petition

I pay my TV license to ensure that irreverent people can express themselves. If you become boarding and politically correct, you may disappear BBC.

A minority of over sensitive people should not ruin one of Britons favourite shows.

I'm signing because the far bigger evil is censorship via political correctness which the BBC have been indulging in for far too long

Because its the only thing left that justifies the license fee.

This is just left wing BBC censoring the only right wing comedy left.

I'm signing because Clarkson is a superb presenter and Top Gear is without doubt one the BBC's better programmes. The viewing figures support this.

Jeremy Clarkson represents the view of the majority of the licence paying public. We are sick of paying our license fee to be spoon fed your political correct left wing crap. Let people speak their mind and exercise their right to offend. At the end of the day, if you are offended by something on TV/radio, turn it off?

I really wish Hammond and May would come out and say something like if Clarkson got dropped, they would leave as well so BBC would be panicking. Don't think top gear would be the same without any of the 3 but more so Clarkson.

Chippiewill
12-03-2015, 02:02 PM
This is a work dispute, its none of our business really. If he actually punched someone (Without good reason) then I expect he should be sacked, or at the very least severely punished.

Matthew
12-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Well purely from a selfish point of view I hope he stays, I love the show and think he is a brilliant presenter. The top gear episode with the reliant robin a few years ago especially comes to mind as one of my favourite ever tv moments, the episode was superb.

From the BBC's point of view if he really did punch someone over a cheese platter as is being reported then he should go, really. But then I've heard it'll cost the BBC millions as top gear is shown all over the world, and suspending Clarkson and so dropping the last few episodes of Top Gear for this season is affecting countries world wide who signed contracts etc to show them.

Lets be honest here, if Clarkson leaves the BBC then you can bet anything that other tv corporations will offer him stupid money to go to them. I think I read that Sky said they wouldn't be interested but how can they not be? Top Gear is one of Britain's most watched, most loved shows.

Chippiewill
12-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Top Gear is one of Britain's most watched, most loved shows.
It's actually one of the most watched TV shows.. in the world.

Matthew
12-03-2015, 07:09 PM
It's actually one of the most watched TV shows.. in the world.

yeah I wasn't sure if it was worldwide or not!

FlyingJesus
12-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Hope he gets kept on because otherwise it'll just give him opportunities elsewhere to pretend he's a spokesperson for free speech instead of just an idiot. Can't stand the guy but it's easy enough to not watch a crap car show, would much prefer to have him there doing very little than create another celeb "politician" as happened with Russell Brand

Gibs960
12-03-2015, 08:34 PM
I think that a lot of the stuff he has been warned for in the past has been pathetic stuff that the majority of people weren't offended by, I don't know what's gone on but from that small video on Lad Bible of James May, there was alcohol involved, which is never a good sign.

Should they sack him? Only if they want to lose millions of viewers, and therefore pounds.

Bobozia
25-03-2015, 11:28 AM
There is no denying that most viewers of the BBC want him to return to Top Gear. We pay our TV license and so should be allowed to watch the programmes we like, as presented by the people we want. Otherwise, people should not have to pay the TV license. BRING JEZZA BACK!

Zak
25-03-2015, 06:54 PM
I love Jeremy Clarkson but physically assaulting someone crosses the line. If I went and punched my boss I would get sacked and now we know so has he. It's a shame but obviously he didn't think about the consequences of his actions.

FlyingJesus
25-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Shouldn't have even been up for discussion once it was established that the attack had definitely taken place - he should be doing jail time not garnering support from petrolheads

scottish
25-03-2015, 07:11 PM
If the other person isn't pressing charges then I doubt there'll be even the slightest chance of him doing jail time.

The producer didn't report the incident to either BBC or Police afaik.

xxMATTGxx
25-03-2015, 07:21 PM
We will probably never really know but I would still love to have the full information on what actually happened that evening. I guess there wasn't much else the BBC could do but punching someone is a big no no. I wish he wasn't fired because I love the show and the 3 presenters but what can you do!

Although, Top Gear will not be the same without him and as James May says, the three of them are a package.

scottish
25-03-2015, 07:26 PM
We will probably never really know but I would still love to have the full information on what actually happened that evening. I guess there wasn't much else the BBC could do but punching someone is a big no no. I wish he wasn't fired because I love the show and the 3 presenters but what can you do!

Although, Top Gear will not be the same without him and as James May says, the three of them are a package.

we pay for that investigation give us the info!!

but yeah I doubt we'll ever see it, or know why it was made out to be such a massive incident over something that's minor and limited to 2 people.

Empired
25-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I don't want him to stay after what he's done. Allowing him to stay would only reinforce the idea he had in his tiny little brain that he was untouchable and could do what he likes. I'm sure this has been quite a shock for him, can't imagine he ever thought there'd ever even be the question of him having to leave the BBC.
If I went into work tomorrow and punched one of my coworkers I'd be expecting to be sacked immediately and a fine would probably end up on my shoulders as well. Don't see why it should be any different for a BBC presenter.

Top Gear would not be the same without him but him leaving is the only choice IMO. Just wish he hadn't been such an idiot.

Chippiewill
25-03-2015, 09:34 PM
There is no denying that most viewers of the BBC want him to return to Top Gear. We pay our TV license and so should be allowed to watch the programmes we like, as presented by the people we want. Otherwise, people should not have to pay the TV license. BRING JEZZA BACK!

Here's the thing:

a) The BBC is not designed to just produce whatever people want, or what gets a lot of viewers (Although that certainly is a consideration). Its kinda the point of being publicly funded.
b) We live in a representative democracy, we don't decide everything by what the majority want. Why? Because the majority is ******ed 99% of the time and tend to make rash decisions like allowing people to keep their jobs after physically assaulting a subordinate unprovoked.
c) Clarkson physically assaulted someone, I'm frankly surprised there wasn't a criminal investigation.

- - - Updated - - -

we pay for that investigation give us the info!!
Whilst I too would like to know all the details, I suspect it would just make the producer even more of a target.

xxMATTGxx
25-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Here's the thing:

a) The BBC is not designed to just produce whatever people want, or what gets a lot of viewers (Although that certainly is a consideration). Its kinda the point of being publicly funded.
b) We live in a representative democracy, we don't decide everything by what the majority want. Why? Because the majority is ******ed 99% of the time and tend to make rash decisions like allowing people to keep their jobs after physically assaulting a subordinate unprovoked.
c) Clarkson physically assaulted someone, I'm frankly surprised there wasn't a criminal investigation.

- - - Updated - - -

Whilst I too would like to know all the details, I suspect it would just make the producer even more of a target.

It does seem the Police are looking into it as they have asked to see the report the BBC have made.

North Yorkshire police have asked to see the BBC's internal report, saying it will be "assessed appropriately and action will be taken... where necessary".

Chippiewill
25-03-2015, 09:39 PM
It does seem the Police are looking into it as they have asked to see the report the BBC have made.

Good to hear they're at least investigating it. I doubt much will come of it though.

scottish
25-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Good to hear they're at least investigating it. I doubt much will come of it though.

They wouldn't do anything without the producer pressing charges anyway would they?

Like if I punch you, it's not an issue regarding police until you press charges for assault.

xxMATTGxx
25-03-2015, 09:42 PM
They wouldn't do anything without the producer pressing charges anyway would they?

Like if I punch you, it's not an issue regarding police until you press charges for assault.

That's what I would have thought anyway.

Chippiewill
25-03-2015, 10:05 PM

Yup, and between Oisin not caring enough to report the incident himself and Clarkson having legitimately apologised in person I don't see it happening.

The only concern is that a court could take the opinion that Oisin wouldn't press charges out of fear of being further targeted by the general public.

Bobozia
25-03-2015, 10:20 PM

b) We live in a system where 'first past the post' is the dominating theory right now. Thusforth, the majority do decide. And even so, since when has it been a necessity to run TV channels on a political basis?
c) There more than likely will be one. Read up on the news.

Chippiewill
25-03-2015, 10:33 PM
b) We live in a system where 'first past the post' is the dominating theory right now. Thusforth, the majority do decide. And even so, since when has it been a necessity to run TV channels on a political basis?

You're thinking of a direct democracy. In our current system we elect people to vote for us.

FlyingJesus
25-03-2015, 10:59 PM
BORIS JOHNSON FOR TOP GEAR (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11490746/Boris-Johnson-suggests-himself-to-replace-Jeremy-Clarkson-on-Top-Gear.html) if only, but nah the whole show will most likely move to Netflix instead and the BBC will replace it with reruns of Parkinson or something

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02310/arnieschwazenegger_2310325b.jpg

26-03-2015, 03:04 AM

BBC is run on a political basis anyway, its been long established that it has a left wing slant.

The sooner it is privatised the better. A publically funded broadcaster in 2015 is absurd when you compare it to other now-privatised industries.

Bobozia
26-03-2015, 09:18 AM
BBC is run on a political basis anyway, its been long established that it has a left wing slant.

The sooner it is privatised the better. A publicly funded broadcaster in 2015 is absurd when you compare it to other now-privatised industries.

I am not saying it isn't run on a political basis, I was replying to the earlier comment which suggested the way the programmes are decided should not be based on majority ruling; even though they are a TV channel which aims to get as many viewing as possible. Thus forth making it a redundant point.

Secondly, I completely agree that it should be privatised, however, this is not a debate on the privatisation of state industries.

- - - Updated - - -

You're thinking of a direct democracy. In our current system we elect people to vote for us.

I am referring to how we choose our MPs, which is done on a first past the post system. As we were using the political analogy, if an MP is a TV programme, who ever gets the most votes gets in, as such, if a programme gets the most 'votes' then it should be aired. The BBC are a TV channel, and TV channels should be trying to continually IMPROVE viewing figures - not scrapping the worlds most popular factual television programme. I can only assume the BBC feel they dont want all those viewers, not the £50 million that Top Gear earn them each year through BBC Worldwide.

Chippiewill
26-03-2015, 04:20 PM
It's also been long established that it has a right wing slant.

GommeInc
26-03-2015, 06:02 PM

The police can get involved even if you don't press charges. If they know a crime was committed they can get involved, especially if it is true that the presenter had to go to hospital - it's a battery (or ABH/GBH, depending on the severity). The way to think about it is this:

Victims cannot dictate when a law has or has not been broken if they do or do not press charges.

The media coverage and the BBC report makes it kind of clear a crime may have been committed, so it's worth investigating.

To be honest he had it coming assaulting someone. It's inexcusable and deserved.

scottish
26-03-2015, 06:10 PM
The police can get involved even if you don't press charges. If they know a crime was committed they can get involved, especially if it is true that the presenter had to go to hospital - it's a battery (or ABH/GBH, depending on the severity). The way to think about it is this:

Victims cannot dictate when a law has or has not been broken if they do or do not press charges.

The media coverage and the BBC report makes it kind of clear a crime may have been committed, so it's worth investigating.

To be honest he had it coming assaulting someone. It's inexcusable and deserved.

Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the American way, but if the police knows it happened it's still down to the victim to state that they wish to press charges against them?

Like in so many domestic abuse situations the woman will not press charges against the man and the police can't do anything, similarly in non domestic abuse situations even if they have CCTV etc it's still down to the victim to state they wish to press charges for the police to be able to hold them or investigate it as a crime.

Like usually if they go to the police, they'd be asked if they wanted to press charges against the attacker do they not?

Obviously this is isolated to the assault charge (as you can't say you don't want to press charges against someone who's reckless driving, drunk driving, etc :P)

That's the way I've always thought it was.

GommeInc
26-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the American way, but if the police knows it happened it's still down to the victim to state that they wish to press charges against them?

Like in so many domestic abuse situations the woman will not press charges against the man and the police can't do anything, similarly in non domestic abuse situations even if they have CCTV etc it's still down to the victim to state they wish to press charges for the police to be able to hold them or investigate it as a crime.

Like usually if they go to the police, they'd be asked if they wanted to press charges against the attacker do they not?

Obviously this is isolated to the assault charge (as you can't say you don't want to press charges against someone who's reckless driving, drunk driving, etc :P)

That's the way I've always thought it was.
If they witness the crime or they have evidence a crime has been committed they usually act. Your example is pretty good that women who are abused by their partners do not press charges and police do not act. If a police officer is told of abuse but the main victim says it is not true (or refuses to press charges) they do not have any real evidence to go by. Domestic abuse cases tend to go on behind closed doors so it is the word of a "rumour" measured up against the denial of a victim. If an officer witnesses domestic abuse they can act - it's how child abuse cases go about although in recent years there has been a lot of denial by all forms of authorities (child/social services and the police). It's a broken area.

As this happened in public and there has been an investigation, they have two sources of evidence. If anything, the producer has made himself exempt from gaining compensation as compensation cases require the claimant to make a claim, while in criminal cases the CPS and the police can make a case with or without your consent.

scottish
26-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I doubt the producer wanted to gain compensation or even cared in the slightest (if he did he would have reported the incident, instead of it being Jeremy reporting the incident).

Also the incident was in a hotel wasn't it? not in public. The only reason it went public was due to the BBC releasing the information to the public, for something that should have strictly been an internal investigation and had no reason to notify the public (until they cancelled the live shows obviously)

But fair enough, seems a bit silly if the person doesn't want to take action then that should be the final decision, not for others to make on their behalf (probably a bad example but say two brothers were fighting in an alley, would both be charged for assault if a police officer randomly strolled in and seen it?)

27-03-2015, 12:10 AM
It's also been long established that it has a right wing slant.

If you are Leon Trotsky then maybe...

scottish
27-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Oisin Tymon, the Top Gear producer punched by Jeremy Clarkson during a row over food, has told police he does not want to press charges.

Mr Tymon had to drive himself to hospital when he was left with swelling and a split lip after the Top Gear presenter launched an "unprovoked" attack on him at a hotel in North Yorkshire on 4 March.

Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels, issued a statement in which he said: "Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesn't want to press charges.

Reality
27-03-2015, 08:43 PM
To be honest, I can envisage Clarkson and the others will all go to another channel or they will ask Clarkson back in the next 6 - 7 months.

GommeInc
30-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I doubt the producer wanted to gain compensation or even cared in the slightest (if he did he would have reported the incident, instead of it being Jeremy reporting the incident).

Also the incident was in a hotel wasn't it? not in public. The only reason it went public was due to the BBC releasing the information to the public, for something that should have strictly been an internal investigation and had no reason to notify the public (until they cancelled the live shows obviously)

But fair enough, seems a bit silly if the person doesn't want to take action then that should be the final decision, not for others to make on their behalf (probably a bad example but say two brothers were fighting in an alley, would both be charged for assault if a police officer randomly strolled in and seen it?)
Depends how serious it was really. From what has been said since it seems the police are not that interested and Clarkson is showing some amount of remorse so they might just let it go.

The police would probably break up the fight, give a few verbal warnings and if they kept going for each other they would probably considering arresting one or both of them. It all depends on how severe it is. I think I remember reading he had to go to hospital as he was pretty beaten up but not so much that it makes Clarkson a risk to society, so you could look at it that way. He was remorseful, didn't cause that much pain and to his advantage reported the incident to his bosses and being sacked is punishment enough.

The police tend to focus on really serious crimes like rape, domestic abuse, torture and child abuse (I say it separately to domestic abuse as it has different meanings). If you say it was fine or have survivors/victims remorse, it's no excuse for what that person did to you.

scottish
30-03-2015, 06:00 PM
From everything I've read, he punched him once which burst his lip (hence him going to hospital).

There wasn't some massive fight with 30 punches going back and forward or anything.

GommeInc
01-04-2015, 06:21 PM
From everything I've read, he punched him once which burst his lip (hence him going to hospital).

There wasn't some massive fight with 30 punches going back and forward or anything.
Yeah just read up on it (was away in Belgium boozing). Definitely not worth police time. If it was serious damage then it would be likely, but this wasn't worthy of it.

.:Admiral:.
03-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Well if I'm completely honest I think the BBC took the right action, it's the same if I punched one of my colleagues - I would be sacked. I don't understand why people were trying to defend that foul mouthed man!

04-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Apparently the contracts of May and Hammond have ran out now?

Tbh Clarkson should have been sacked for a punch up, but we all know the Beeb was dying to get rid of him for ages.

xxMATTGxx
04-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Tbh Clarkson should have been sacked for a punch up, but we all know the Beeb was dying to get rid of him for ages.

They were all running out at the same time near enough. And it was only more recently where they removed all of the presenters from the banner at the top of the: http://www.topgear.com/uk/ and replaced it with just The Stig.

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/15/14/1427992952-topgear.jpg

Chippiewill
05-04-2015, 01:09 AM
but we all know the Beeb was dying to get rid of him for ages.
They'd been using a lot of tough rhetoric like 'final warning', but that was just to get the tabloids to shut up about unsubstantiated claims of using the word ****** in a take that Clarkson had intentionally pulled due to that ambiguity - in reality they had no intention of getting rid of someone who was a substantial part of the 300m viewership that Top Gear provided.

GommeInc
05-04-2015, 05:49 PM

I wouldn't say that exactly. The BBC made a lot of threats towards Clarkson but they were empty. Many of his warnings were based on internal investigations which quite often came back as "within guidelines". Other issues which were off camera such as the N word were private and not seen by the general public - but angry individuals with very little to do with their time decided to react. It's similar to when Jonathan Ross was kicked out for what happened to Andrew Sachs. Barely anyone actually heard it happen live, but people felt the need to complain when clips came out.

06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't say that exactly. The BBC made a lot of threats towards Clarkson but they were empty. Many of his warnings were based on internal investigations which quite often came back as "within guidelines". Other issues which were off camera such as the N word were private and not seen by the general public - but angry individuals with very little to do with their time decided to react. It's similar to when Jonathan Ross was kicked out for what happened to Andrew Sachs. Barely anyone actually heard it happen live, but people felt the need to complain when clips came out.

Oh sure they kept him there for the money but I think given attitudes at the BBC they'd have loved to have sacked him in the past.

Grig
07-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Oh sure they kept him there for the money but I think given attitudes at the BBC they'd have loved to have sacked him in the past.

Well what do you expect, when they let them continue the Live shows without the BBC brand but still reap in the cash. Two faced, sold-out *******s is what I say. You can't expect to make a statement with that action, then say...well actually.

This whole thing was ridiculous, an exec linked his case to Saville's, are you joking me. Also, you can search for Hollywood celebrities who've been involved in fights with numerous members of their crew yet it never comes out to the mainstream media.

One thing is for sure, Top Gear is dead, he and his producer made the format and sold it to the Beeb a few years ago. He is the genius behind the whole re-vamp. Look at the Aussie, Russian etc. versions of Top Gear, they flopped. The format doesn't make the show solely, the whole thing, particularly the presenters do. That's a fact. Another fact- last time Jeremy left, the ratings went down the barrel. Google it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!