PDA

View Full Version : Any ways to get over travel sickness?

Kimmy
20-03-2015, 08:17 PM
I get it realllyyy badly when I go in cars or buses and the only thing that really helps are tablets. I find it sort of pointless to take tablets when I'm only travelling for 15 mins max.

Anybody got any good remedies?

scottish
20-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Yes, don't travel then one can not become travel sick.

welshcake
20-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm so bad at travelling. I get really sick
I have over the counter tablets to help me but they don't help that much

buttons
20-03-2015, 08:33 PM
i used to get travel sickness and someone recommended to sit on a newspaper, i have no idea why, if it was a placebo or what?
i kinda just grew out of it :S but i would take a bottle of water with me at all times.
you can get travel bands too can't you?

Sian
20-03-2015, 08:38 PM
If you're in a car keep the window up, fresh air and keeping cool really do help. I get really badly travel sick though, I have to take tablets, make sure I keep hydrated and eat a balanced meal before travelling, if you feel stuffed you'll throw it all up.

Kellie
20-03-2015, 08:40 PM
I used to only get travel sickness when I was in a car for over an hour or something. If I took a tablet to prevent it I would only puke it back up again. How I got over my travel sickness was travelling lmao. I guess where my family traveled to London a lot to see my family and other places I just grew out of it

Phil
20-03-2015, 09:49 PM
You have the bands right? My gf has them and they do wonders. I'm not sure where you can get them from but i'm sure someone on here knows but I can ask her for you?

Bloop
21-03-2015, 12:47 AM
focus on one specific thing and try not to look out of the window

Kimmy
21-03-2015, 01:18 PM
If you're in a car keep the window up, fresh air and keeping cool really do help. I get really badly travel sick though, I have to take tablets, make sure I keep hydrated and eat a balanced meal before travelling, if you feel stuffed you'll throw it all up.

I always put the window up because the fresh air helps so much, it's just a pain when it's raining/is cold because it bothers everyone else in the car.

Samantha
22-03-2015, 12:22 PM
If you can't keep the windows down, buy one of those cheap hand fans that take batteries and use it if you start feeling sick.

I take the tablets, but I have sort of started to grow out of it, I just think about other things and not focus on that I usually feel sick in a car. Sitting on newspapers and magazines I believe elevate you to see out the windows that little bit more so you are not looking down. When I feel sick or start to, I generally have mints in the car to help me or I go to sleep if it is long distance.

I have never had the bands, but I have seen them in pound shops before if you would rather trial them.

-:Undertaker:-
22-03-2015, 07:33 PM
I *think* I got travel sick during scout camps but I was more sheltered then..... isn't travel sickness down to not wanting to go somewhere idk?

Sian
22-03-2015, 08:08 PM
I *think* I got travel sick during scout camps but I was more sheltered then..... isn't travel sickness down to not wanting to go somewhere idk?

no dan, it's not :P it just means your stomach is more sensitive to movement, might also be due to being in enclosed places for such a long time.

Kyle
22-03-2015, 11:58 PM
I tend to just go to sleep if I find myself feeling ill when travelling.

Mikey
23-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Heard the bands are really good. I don't get travel sick but I used the tablets when I was hungover and feeling really sick coming home from Oban to Glasgow for a uni trip and they worked wonders haha!

lemons
23-03-2015, 12:05 AM
i get travel sickness all the time on buses so i avoid them and get the train even if it costs way more

Absently
23-03-2015, 12:31 AM
I only ever get travel sickness if I read or I'm on my phone it's so bloody annoying especially when I'm bored :( I normally just drink lots of water and I feel better

Red
23-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Don't look at your phone/read. Always makes me instantly car sick! And maybe try those travel sickness bands.

Matt
23-03-2015, 02:22 AM
Yeah never try and read anything or go on your phone, that makes me feel so bad.

Whenever I fly I take travel sick pills before the flight and I get drowsy ones so I can just sleep. I sometimes still feel sick after taking them but I think that's just to do with flying in general (As it's happened my my family members and they don't normally get travel sick). I feel better knowing i've taken something though. I've never actually been sick but yeah if over the counter pills don't work for you, I have no idea!

Empired
23-03-2015, 11:01 AM
The bands actually work better than pills but you have to get them in exactly the right place or they won't work. There are instructions that come with them on where to put them on your wrist, but it's normally the width of the three middle fingers on your hand from the top crease on your wrist.

Take cool water if you can and keep hydrated all the time, but drinking too much water will just make you even more sick. Don't take anything to read or focus on too closely as I don't get travel sick but reading for too long in a car can make me feel really ill. Sam suggested taking a fan if opening the windows isn't an option which is a really good idea. And try making sure to look out of the front window as much as you can rather than the side windows; I have friends who swear this works miracles for them and I assume it's something to do with how scenery doesn't look like it's moving as much if you're looking out the front.

Confuzzling
29-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I usually have travel bands, they work amazingly well

Metric1
29-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I hate flying but when I do fly I usually get drunk and pass out on the plane, or I take an Xanax to put me to sleep. I find sleeping is the best way to combat travel sickness

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!