PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

Danny
14-04-2015, 07:50 PM
I don't actually know where this should be so I will put it here for now.

I have read quite often about a female hunter who takes the utmost joy in killing her prey. She has pictures of her smiling with her kill which ranges from Squirrel to giraffes.

She has been getting an awful lot of death threats and death wishes. My question to you is, is this an acceptable sport? She has also killed animals that are close to extinction and I think that is very sad that beautiful animals are being killed for sport. What are your views?

Thread moved from 'Discuss Anything' by Ripieno (Forum Moderator) as it's more suited in this section.

Aiden
14-04-2015, 07:51 PM
No it's not something I feel should happen but sadly there a lot of sadder things happening around the world. At least they get to die fast unlike tortured animals.

Evanora
14-04-2015, 07:52 PM
oh well its not like lions hippos giraffes contribute anything to society so good riddance!

Kardan
14-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Obviously hunting endangered animals is not right, I think that goes without saying. I think it gets a lot more tricky though when we're talking about fox hunting etc. Personally I don't like it, but I'm not sure if I could form an argument against it other than 'I don't like it'.

FlyingJesus
14-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Not something I'd do myself as it just doesn't interest me in any way and I'm not really a fan of guns, but as long as what she (or any other hunter) is doing is legal then I have no problem with it. Animals kill animals, it's not always nice but it happens, and there are far worse things going on in the world that I'd rather focus on

Aiden
14-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Most other animals don't kill for fun though?

-:Undertaker:-
14-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Hunting animals is a basic expectation of a human being unless you are from an urban background in which case you'll likely be against it: instead you will get your meat all washed in the supermarket with none of that icky blood with the animals having lived all their lives in small cages and never been outside (oh yes aren't you so compassionate). Those in rural areas on the other hand, who actually have skills other than being offended by everything they see on the internet, use the skins of animals as well as the meat. Hunting is also to control the population of animals such as foxes which are a pest and a menace to farmers in the countryside as well as in African nations where local populations of 'endangered' animals can get out of control which then brings them to clash with humans. In addition, controlling the populations of animals such as Deer is very humane as if the populations aren't controlled then there obviously isn't a food supply to sustain a growing population and you end up with some of the poor animals starving to death which isn't a nice way to go.

I have never hunted although I would be up for it to give it a try. I have always found the idea of catching hare and fish out in the woods and skinning it and cooking it around a camp fire really charming and romantic and hopefully I will do something like that one day.

sexpot
14-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Most other animals don't kill for fun though?

It's not necessarily done for fun, some people do it to put food on the table.

I hunt so obviously I'm not going to disagree with it. That being said hunting endangered animals shouldn't happen.

Aiden
14-04-2015, 08:42 PM
It's not necessarily done for fun, some people do it to put food on the table.

I hunt so obviously I'm not going to disagree with it. That being said hunting endangered animals shouldn't happen.

If you have no other method of survival then sure, hunt away, but if you live in a close radius of a store then mhmm there's no need.

FlyingJesus
14-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Most animals don't play football or wear suits either

sexpot
14-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Hunting animals is a basic expectation of a human being unless you are from an urban background in which case you'll likely be against it: instead you will get your meat all washed in the supermarket with none of that icky blood with the animals having lived all their lives in small cages and never been outside (oh yes aren't you so compassionate). Those in rural areas on the other hand, who actually have skills other than being offended by everything they see on the internet, use the skins of animals as well as the meat. Hunting is also to control the population of animals such as foxes which are a pest and a menace to farmers in the countryside as well as in African nations where local populations of 'endangered' animals can get out of control which then brings them to clash with humans. In addition, controlling the populations of animals such as Deer is very humane as if the populations aren't controlled then there obviously isn't a food supply to sustain a growing population and you end up with some of the poor animals starving to death which isn't a nice way to go.

I have never hunted although I would be up for it to give it a try. I have always found the idea of catching hare and fish out in the woods and skinning it and cooking it around a camp fire really charming and romantic and hopefully I will do something like that one day.

This. Meat from the grocery store just doesn't taste right to me because of all the chemicals and **** it gets washed with before it gets there.

If you have no other method of survival then sure, hunt away, but if you live in a close radius of a store then mhmm there's no need.

I live near a grocery store and I still get my meat from the woods because it just tastes better

Aiden
14-04-2015, 08:45 PM
You see no difference between David Beckham and a murder? ;)

FlyingJesus
14-04-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't see killing a non-human as murder. If you do, good luck taking a single step or breathing because there is living stuff everywhere and our big ol' selves crush and kill each time we leave the house

Lewis
14-04-2015, 08:59 PM
I find it absolutely wrong, animals should only be killed for food or protection if you are in danger. Not for entertainment.

-:Undertaker:-
14-04-2015, 09:04 PM
I find it absolutely wrong, animals should only be killed for food or protection if you are in danger. Not for entertainment.

Why is it morally wrong to actually enjoy a job, whether it is gathering food or essentially carrying out pest control both of which hunting are?

Lewis
14-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Why is it morally wrong to actually enjoy a job, whether it is gathering food or essentially carrying out pest control both of which hunting are?

If you enjoy hunting, sure why not, but as long as you aren't hunting / killing for that reason alone and that there is a good reason behind it. Food, danger, protection, fear, whatever.

I simply find taking an animal's life wrong unless there's reasons other than entertainment alone.

lemons
14-04-2015, 09:57 PM
yes we need to control the foxes they are so annoying and rip all the rubbish bags open in the night then you wake up in the morning and see an empty heinz beans can rolling in the wind

obviously endangered species should be protected

Kimmy
17-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Depends the animal. Big no, no to hunting endangered ones.

No to hunting giraffes too because I like giraffes.

Empired
17-04-2015, 02:56 PM
I would never be up for it but I'm not against others doing it. I also think animals should be killed humanely whether you're out hunting or whether they've been bred for the purpose of being eaten. So for me, those crazy fox chases with bloodhounds and upper class white men on horseback is totally out of the question.

As with (I think?) everyone else in this thread, if an animal is endangered it should not be hunted. Full stop.

I can understand Emily's argument that food from supermarkets tastes of chemicals as we buy from a local butcher and I just don't get the same satisfaction from supermarket meat as from the butcher. I wouldn't say it tastes chemically but there's just something..? I just can't put my finger on what exactly.

Aiden
17-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Didn't she kill the giraffe because it's old or something? :/

GommeInc
26-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Not overly bothered, but I think going all the way to Africa just to kill a giraffe or a rare elephant seems a bit pushing it. If she was shot dead for shooting that giraffe (if it's the woman I am thinking of) then equally I wouldn't care. Both are pointless animals that don't really contribute to the food chain.

MotorStefan95
28-04-2015, 01:29 PM
I really do not agree with hunting animals near extinction. With all the conservation projects going on to save animals from extinction, then you have someone hunting them for sport. I think they are the ones needing to be hunted instead.

I don't really agree with hunting and killing animals, but then again I couldn't live without meat in my diet so I'm stuck on this one.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!