PDA

View Full Version : Rugby World Cup 2015

Phil
12-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone!!

The Rugby World Cup is kicking off Friday coming with England v Figi! This is the first World Cup since I've really been into Rugby and I am SOOO EXCITED!! Here are the pools:

http://i.imgur.com/8Jk0v9c.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/aBLzZtX.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/5JhP0Qy.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/S2dqPAf.png

How do you think your team will do in the pool stage?
How do you think your team will do in the tournament?
Who do you think will qualify for the next round?
Who do you think will win the World Cup?

j0rd
12-09-2015, 11:32 AM
surprised it took so long for this thread to be made
i'm v excite

didn't have much faith in wales but with halfpennys injury now, i'll be very surprised if we make it out the group stage

Phil
12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Yeah Wales probably have the toughest group imo. I didn't realise halfpenny was injured D=

j0rd
12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
lost him and rhys webb in our last friendly before the tournament which is just typical really

Phil
12-09-2015, 12:39 PM
lost him and rhys webb in our last friendly before the tournament which is just typical really

Ugh no way!! What a pity :/ How long are they both expected to be out for?

j0rd
12-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Ugh no way!! What a pity :/ How long are they both expected to be out for?

halfpenny 6 months and webb several months
luckily we have decent kicking cover in biggar and preistland, but still a huge loss regardless

Phil
12-09-2015, 12:55 PM
halfpenny 6 months and webb several months
luckily we have decent kicking cover in biggar and preistland, but still a huge loss regardless

As much as I see Wales as a threat (even though we might not have come across them) it's a real shame! :(

j0rd
12-09-2015, 01:34 PM
I feel as much as you hope opposition players get injured and that it does spoil it

World Cup is about seeing the best teams and best players in one place, and for me, not seeing players like halfpenny, parisse etc is a huge loss for everybody!

Jake
14-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Im not a massive rugby fan but some is being held where i live. We got offered tickets through work but it just doesn't interest me that much :(

Martin
14-09-2015, 10:41 PM
When are Wales playing? I'm moving to Cardiff on Wednesday, it's going to be mental during freshers if the Rugby is on too!!! :O

Alysha
14-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Isn't Liam Williams injured too? RIP

Cardiff will be mental on game days tbh, you might get killed Martin ;)

j0rd
14-09-2015, 11:47 PM
When are Wales playing? I'm moving to Cardiff on Wednesday, it's going to be mental during freshers if the Rugby is on too!!! :O

first welsh game is on sunday martin, it's in the millenium as well so cardiff will be bouncing

Isn't Liam Williams injured too? RIP

Cardiff will be mental on game days tbh, you might get killed Martin ;)

nah liam williams is fit and should be starting against Uruguay

Martin
15-09-2015, 12:03 AM
first welsh game is on sunday martin, it's in the millenium as well so cardiff will be bouncing

nah liam williams is fit and should be starting against Uruguay

Oh gosh, Sunday is the first night of Freshers Fortnight too so I'll be out!!! Last time I passed through Cardiff when the Rugby was on it was mental and I ended up fearing for my life and getting a taxi to my hotel!! :'(

I was packing my shirts earlier and put my Ireland one in and my mum said I'll probably end up getting beaten up if I wear that?! Like WTF

I guess it shall be a good atmousphere though! :D

Phil
15-09-2015, 02:46 AM
Oh gosh, Sunday is the first night of Freshers Fortnight too so I'll be out!!! Last time I passed through Cardiff when the Rugby was on it was mental and I ended up fearing for my life and getting a taxi to my hotel!! :'(

I was packing my shirts earlier and put my Ireland one in and my mum said I'll probably end up getting beaten up if I wear that?! Like WTF

I guess it shall be a good atmousphere though! :D

Sunday night is gonna be some mental night in Cardiff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatehash
15-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Ugh I'm so jealous of you guys being a part of the world cup. Make sure you make the most of it!
It is a wonderful event!
We hosted the last one and it was fantastic, unfortunately I wasn't 18 yet but it was still a great time.
Make sure if you can't go to games go to the Fan Zones, they are the best.
I went to a few of the games and they were fantastic even if your team isn't playing it can be fun to adopt a new country for the day.
Being an Irish supporter for the Australia v Ireland game last world cup is probably the best sporting event I have ever been a part of maybe only surpassed by being at the cricket world cup semi final this year.

Even if Rugby isn't something you follow regularly the spectacle of the world cup is something great to get involved in.
Make the most of it being in your county!!

Also I'm reasonably confident with our squad going into the world cup this year, we have amazing depth currently. Obviously there is the factor that we have never won a World Cup outside New Zealand but I feel we have a strong chance this year but obviously it always depends on the day.
There is a very strong likelihood that we will play France in the Quarters at Cardiff which is how it was in 2007 when we had our shock loss!
Brings back awful memories!

Phil
18-09-2015, 03:01 PM
World Cup kicks off tonight with England v Figi! Is everyone excited?!?!

j0rd
18-09-2015, 03:26 PM
v excited, few of the Fijian players have been training in our gym for a few weeks

come on fiji

Phil
18-09-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm actually buzzing! Someone I KINDA know but dislike just got on the Ireland squad just before the World Cup so the support is crazy in my town

j0rd
18-09-2015, 06:08 PM
the opening ceremony has just started if anyone is interested

Phil
18-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Watching it now, Harry needs to shave!

Monotonous
18-09-2015, 10:02 PM
England had a poor game but at least they got the bonus point. Lets hope they can build from this game. What did you guys think of Nandolo xD What a beast, can't wait to see what he can produce in the RWC hopefully he can replicate his super rugby from. Fiji look pretty decent too bad their fitness drops in the 20 mins, I think they can make Pool A super interesting.

Looking forward to New Zealand vs Argentina on Sunday :D

Phil
18-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Mike Brown had some game!! Really deserved the try's and the Man of the Match!

j0rd
18-09-2015, 11:23 PM
can't wait to play England next week after that performance

Phil
18-09-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm buzzing for the Ireland game tomorrow!

ihatehash
19-09-2015, 10:20 AM
I think this world cup is going to be very controversial. The TMO has almost too much power.
A ruling on field should never be reversed. Yes, the Fiji try was dropped however the ref made the mistake in awarding it and not checking it. It only got checked when it was shown on the big screen and the crowd boo'd. The tv producers and the crowd should not affect how the ref runs the game.

England very very lucky to get bonus point. Going to have to tighten up if they want results against wales/aus because that was a very average performance.

Martin
19-09-2015, 10:55 AM
I actually watched an entire rugby game for the first time ever last night with my flatmates and actually quite enjoyed it!! :O

Thought the opening ceremony was awesome! :D and it's great walking past Cardiff castle and seeing a huge rugby ball penetrating through the wall :P

My only problem is I'm likely to get killed whilst supporting England whilst living in Wales! :P Everyone was booing England last night and cheering on Fiji :'(

Phil
19-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Omg absolutely BUZZING for the Ireland game, such goosebumps as the Millenium Stadium is filled with Ireland's Call

COYBIG!!

Martin I am incredibly jealous of you being in Cardiff right now :P

Zak
19-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Poor start from England

Kardan
19-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Can you believe it? Wow. Wow. Wow.

Monotonous
19-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Can you believe it? Wow. Wow. Wow.

No I can't |-) Props to Japan gotta love them showed so much heart :) Gonna be one of the highlights of the RWC

Phil
19-09-2015, 05:50 PM
That was absolutely unbelievable! Odds for them to win the match was 70/1 :P Really deserved the win. Hopefully Italy do something similar to France!

ihatehash
19-09-2015, 08:23 PM
HOW THE **** DID JAPAN BEAT SOUTH AFRICA. I AM STUNNED.
THIS WORLD CUP IS MENTAL.

help me.
that pool is going to be very interesting now as I would have said it would be easily won by south africa. close ish between samoa and scotland and then usa and japan at the bottom. BUT NOW WHO KNOWS!!!!!

Yupt
19-09-2015, 08:26 PM
only signing in for this thread lolol. hello.

I think Wales are still a team to watch to be honest, Biggar is a tremendous kicker and actually had a higher success rate than halfpenny last year, he just doesn't have the same epic range as halfpenny. Liam Williams is also a better attacking threat with ball in hand and knows his way to the try line, that will be massively important in trying to get the points against England and Australia.

What a game that was for Japan! Surprised if that won't be the biggest shock of the tournament, they actually looked damn good too, it wasn't a poor performance by the boks at all. Georgia also looked very good in beating Tonga. Shaping up to be a great tournament!

ihatehash
20-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Ok so that game was closer than I would have liked but it is important for us to be tested early.
So many chances ruined by the backs overplaying the ball. We have a great forward pack, if the play is not there don't force it. Take the contact.
I think Argentina could be a serious threat this world cup to go deep. I could see them beating anyone they face at the quarters. Ireland or France.

j0rd
21-09-2015, 09:56 AM
not sure if Rugby World Cup or TMO World Cup

wales with more injuries this is dreadful

Phil
21-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Ok so that game was closer than I would have liked but it is important for us to be tested early.
So many chances ruined by the backs overplaying the ball. We have a great forward pack, if the play is not there don't force it. Take the contact.
I think Argentina could be a serious threat this world cup to go deep. I could see them beating anyone they face at the quarters. Ireland or France.

I'd prefer to get Argentina rather than NZ, hopefully France get them :P

not sure if Rugby World Cup or TMO World Cup

wales with more injuries this is dreadful

Ikr can't believe it! Anyone out long term?

ihatehash
22-09-2015, 10:20 AM
I'd prefer to get Argentina rather than NZ, hopefully France get them :P

Ikr can't believe it! Anyone out long term?

I agree TMO calls have been pretty annoying but outside of that the opening weekend was fantastic.
I am super jealous of anyone in the UK atm!

Phil
22-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I agree TMO calls have been pretty annoying but outside of that the opening weekend was fantastic.
I am super jealous of anyone in the UK atm!

Think they are just being over cautious which isn't a bad thing

You and me both!

j0rd
22-09-2015, 12:02 PM
TMO completely killing the smoothness of a games as well as potentially causing injuries

btw figi team were bowling in my city yesterday, but I'm away [emoji24]

Phil
23-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Pity Japan didn't continue their success in the Scotland game today.

j0rd
23-09-2015, 05:53 PM
our TV cut out when Japan were looking strong, and when it come back on scotland had somehow put 30 points on them

Australia are looking decent too which isn't great for us or england!

j0rd
26-09-2015, 12:23 PM
http://youtu.be/wq4ExTFzSu4

who's excited

Phil
27-09-2015, 12:04 AM
I was excited and that was amazing!

j0rd
27-09-2015, 01:03 AM
that was brilliant
so drunk who wants to order me dominos?

deathbot20.v2
27-09-2015, 11:04 AM
New Zealand will win I bet ya umm my non existent soul

Alysha
27-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I was so on edge at the end of the Wales game. Peed my pants a little bit. Exciting stuff

ihatehash
30-09-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm conflicted on who to root for in Aus v Eng. On one hand England are probably NZ's biggest opponent to winning the cup and it would be nice to see them out early, on the other I hate the Wallabies and it would be a shame for the host nation to be out this early.

j0rd
30-09-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm conflicted on who to root for in Aus v Eng. On one hand England are probably NZ's biggest opponent to winning the cup and it would be nice to see them out early, on the other I hate the Wallabies and it would be a shame for the host nation to be out this early.

interesting to see you still see england as your biggest opposition, especially with their bang average performances so far

Phil
30-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Statistically NZ should be worried about France which whom they should should meet in the quarter finals.

As long as France don't beat us next weekend and we don't have to play NZ that's me happy!!

ihatehash
03-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Statistically NZ should be worried about France which whom they should should meet in the quarter finals.

As long as France don't beat us next weekend and we don't have to play NZ that's me happy!!

Please don't mention Quater Final/Cardiff/France/Wayne Barnes.
I still haven't recovered.

Wow so England is out! Wales and Aus progress from Pool A.
Pool B is very interesting with Japan beating Samoa. Real chance of japan going through!
Pool C is pretty straight forward, a few shaky All Black performances.
Pool D also quite straight forward. Both france/ireland will have challenges in their QF's with argentina/nz

After that performance do we start calling Australia the favourites? That was a dominant game. NZ have not been super impressive thus far.
It's heating up!

j0rd
03-10-2015, 11:13 PM
NZ haven't really had a challenge, them and Aus will be strong favourites

England ahahahah

Zak
05-10-2015, 01:36 PM
bye bye Stuart Lancaster

j0rd
05-10-2015, 02:27 PM
he's not gone yet has he?
should definitely be given until the end of the tournament, then start looking at their options

Zak
05-10-2015, 03:09 PM
he's not gone yet has he?
should definitely be given until the end of the tournament, then start looking at their options

Yeah he hasn't gone yet.

End of the tournament.. I agree! One game left for him :L lol

Phil
05-10-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't think they should get rid of Lancanstar. It was clear they weren't going to win this one anyway, a lot of the team are a bit inexperienced, maybe next time!!

Monotonous
05-10-2015, 08:54 PM
I don't think they should get rid of Lancanstar. It was clear they weren't going to win this one anyway, a lot of the team are a bit inexperienced, maybe next time!!

But he prides himself on discipline ... what is England good at? Giving away silly penalties. He gets rid of Tuilagi and Hartley who are both vital to a successful RWC side, one that can compete with the likes of NZ and AUS ;L Also fails to pick on form players like Cipriani who can give the spark to the boring rugby. What is the point in playing Sam Burgess at 12 when he is clearly a much better flanker and Barritt has been awful this RWC yet he insists on playing him, this wouldnt have been a problem if he just picked Tuilagi.

I say Lancaster out :@

ihatehash
07-10-2015, 08:35 AM
It's too easy to blame the coach imo. I think England needs to look at their preparation for the world cup. When you only play European teams who have a distinctive style in the lead up how do you expect your younger players, whom there are a lot of in England (a good thing in my opinion) to learn how to combat the fast, powerful nature of the southern hemisphere teams.

Phil
09-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Watched the NZ v Tonga game this evening and I thought the ref was pure garbage!!! Of course the result was inevitable but I think NZ are lucky to have won by the amount that they did.

Zak
09-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Watched the NZ v Tonga game this evening and I thought the ref was pure garbage!!! Of course the result was inevitable but I think NZ are lucky to have won by the amount that they did.

Tonga certainly deserved a penalty try in the first half.

j0rd
09-10-2015, 10:14 PM
he really was, should have given the penalty try as soon as kieran read got a yellow
the quality of reffing as been so bad this tournament

Monotonous
09-10-2015, 10:28 PM
It's too easy to blame the coach imo. I think England needs to look at their preparation for the world cup. When you only play European teams who have a distinctive style in the lead up how do you expect your younger players, whom there are a lot of in England (a good thing in my opinion) to learn how to combat the fast, powerful nature of the southern hemisphere teams.

Honestly I don't think it that was the case. Some of the younger players showed pure class and Nothern hemisphere rugby is very similar to international level, I personally think it was due to the whole coaching staff not just Lancaster but also Farrell.

Phil
10-10-2015, 09:31 AM
he really was, should have given the penalty try as soon as kieran read got a yellow
the quality of reffing as been so bad this tournament

I agree, the consistency between the refs has been dreadful

Phil
11-10-2015, 03:37 PM
I am so nervous but so excited for this match...

j0rd
11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
atmosphere in cardiff for this looks insane!!!

Phil
11-10-2015, 06:07 PM
atmosphere in cardiff for this looks insane!!!

I have so many friends there.. I hate the all!!

ANYWAY! Good performance from Ireland, a few slippy plays but we got there in the second half but at what cost??? We are potentially down four great players. O'Connell, Sexton, Mahoney off injured but don't know how long for but O'Connell wasn't looking good at all! Also O'Brien is probably gonna get cited for his punch :@

Here are the fixtures for the QF!!

South Africa v. Wales
New Zealand v. France
Australia v. Scotland
Ireland v. Argentina

j0rd
11-10-2015, 06:18 PM
know what its been like for us now!!
even had liam williams ruled out for the remainder this morning

look wait before the QFs now :(

ihatehash
12-10-2015, 09:57 AM
South Africa v. Wales
New Zealand v. France
Australia v. Scotland
Ireland v. Argentina

Aaahhhahhhahahah I cannot handle a QF in Cardiff against France again!! It's too much! France is the one side that can play terrible throughout the tournament but then turn it on when they face the All Blacks. The only team that can do that IMO. So I am very nervous!

Australia should go through easy.
South Africa are the obvious favs for their match but I could see Wales causing an upset.

Ireland v Argentina is the most exciting match for me. Both squads are at the top of their game, I could see this going either way.

Phil
12-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Aaahhhahhhahahah I cannot handle a QF in Cardiff against France again!! It's too much! France is the one side that can play terrible throughout the tournament but then turn it on when they face the All Blacks. The only team that can do that IMO. So I am very nervous!

Australia should go through easy.
South Africa are the obvious favs for their match but I could see Wales causing an upset.

Ireland v Argentina is the most exciting match for me. Both squads are at the top of their game, I could see this going either way.

I can see it being quite an exciting Quarter Finals but yeah, easy enough game for Australia.

Zak
13-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Japan for team of the tournament ?

ihatehash
14-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Japan for team of the tournament ?
Maybe best story? most improved? most entertaining?
Certainly not Team of the Tournament, you need to make QF's for that. Would probably give it to Australia if I were to award it now.

Zak
14-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Australia have been the best team so far

ihatehash
18-10-2015, 03:53 AM
HAHAHAHHAHHA yessssss!!! 62-13 Brilliant!!!!
Shame Wales couldn't get up over South Africa but makes for an exciting semi!

j0rd
18-10-2015, 10:31 AM
what a game the all blacks one was, surely now they've found their feet they'll go all the way.
not got much to say about the welsh game myself, just that we threw it away with awful discipline

Phil
18-10-2015, 08:31 PM
WHAT A SAD DAY :'( Good weekend of Rugby but devastated with the results.

Wales played well but discipline in defense seriously let them down. Was talking with Yupt; the whole match and was genuinely sickened to see Wales lose the match because if the discipline was there I think they would have had an excellent chance.

New Zealand were epic against France, that's all there is about it! France have a past of beating New Zealand when it matters most but I think NZ clearly showed they weren't in any way threatened by France, they didn't let them play at all.

Was in the local Rugby Club for the Ireland match today. Tadgh Furlong is from my town and sent us a video message which would have been fun if I didn't dislike him but yolo. It was so much fun and it was devastating to see them lose after an incredible comeback. I hate to blame things that were unavoidable but I think we really missed O' Connell and Sexton purely because there was nobody leading that team out there today. Madigan didn't have a good game at all. Pity about the ref's call not go give Herrera a second yellow or a red was disappointing too, was clearly too afraid to give it. In saying all that, Argentina DID put up an incredible performance from the very start. IT WAS ALL VERY SAD OKAY.

Scotland played so well against Australia and it would have been amazing for them to go through, it's a pity that they fell in the last minute. I don't think any of us saw Scotland doing the best for the Northern Hemisphere over the weekend :P

OKAY RANT OVER!

j0rd
18-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Don't think Scotland were the best of the northern hemisphere teams over the weekend.. think they played a bang average aus team who are severely battle scarred from the English and Welsh games

said it'll be a nz aus final for months, but I think Argentina have enough to get past aus. That'll be an insane final!

Phil
18-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Don't think Scotland were the best of the northern hemisphere teams over the weekend.. think they played a bang average aus team who are severely battle scarred from the English and Welsh games

said it'll be a nz aus final for months, but I think Argentina have enough to get past aus. That'll be an insane final!

I don't mean they were the best of the teams but more so the closest to getting through of the northern hemisphere teams

Yupt
22-10-2015, 04:12 PM
It's such a shame to see no northern hemisphere teams in the semi final, as even though there's still a clear gulf between the quality in northern/southern hemisphere rugby, the semi finalists do not reflect the progress that teams like Wales and Ireland have come. I would say England but tbh they still play bloody boring English style rugby, just with a lot of funding and depth.

Zak
26-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Argentina played well but Australia have just been on another level in this world cup (bar their Scotland performance)

ihatehash
29-10-2015, 04:54 AM
AAHH I have too many nerves for this final!!!!!!
I WOULD RATHER HAVE LOST TO SOUTH AFRICA IN THE SEMI THAN LOSE TO AUS THIS WEEKEND!
wahh I'm going to be a mess at about 6am this sunday!
Got a party saturday night will go through the night then going to the cinema where they will be showing the game.
This is going to be a crazy weekend!!! Hopefully I will be doing tequila shots and dancing about 7am on sunday!!!!!!

j0rd
29-10-2015, 05:36 PM
haha enjoy fella, bet twickenham will be bouncing too
i'll probably head up to the fanzone in cardiff to watch it

j0rd
31-10-2015, 06:35 PM
brilliant match, really do think this is the best team we've ever seen

ihatehash
31-10-2015, 07:33 PM
WOW AMAZING GAME! I have lost my voice, it was great but everyone feeling the effects of an early morning. I need sleep!!!!

Monotonous
01-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Great game, too bad I was supporting the Aussies :P Anyone hear about Sonny Bill giving his medal away? ;o

Kasabian
02-11-2015, 02:58 AM
Great game, too bad I was supporting the Aussies :P Anyone hear about Sonny Bill giving his medal away? ;o

Aye saw the video. Couldn't believe the steward full on rugby tackling the lad though, excessive force for a kid.

ihatehash
03-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Another world cup over and a fantastic world cup at that.

Great to see the tier 2 nations begin to close the gap. However I was slightly disappointed with pool A not being as close as one would have expected.
Another disappointment was the fact that the six nations performed so poorly. England never turned up. France were lucky to scrape through probably the easiest pool to inevitably get thrashed in the QF. Italy was terrible considering they have had strong regular competition for the last 15 years. Ireland and Wales performed okay considering the amount of injuries but Ireland had no answer in their QF. Scotland were also poor, argue as much as you like about them being robbed. They had no place in the semi and them being completely useless in the South Africa game ruined what would have been a great story.

The emergence of teams like Georgia and Japan was fantastic and will be interesting to see if like Argentina a regular comp in Super Rugby will help Japan.
In my bias opinion the All Blacks won due to their ability to consistently alter their play when something doesn't go right. If you look at the All Blacks QF/SF and final each game they had a different playing style. South Africa being the biggest trouble to the All Blacks not because of how they played but All Blacks overplaying keeping them in the game

Once again I am bias and if we had lost I would be a lot more negative towards this tournament.
I am interested to hear other thoughts now It is over

-:Undertaker:-
04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Don't watch rugby but have been following it mildly a Twickenham, nice to see all the Anglosphere countries together.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!