PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a printer at University?

Tom
17-01-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure whether or not it's worth the purchase. It's about 5p per A4, Black & White page to use campus printers so I'm just not sure if it's more cost effective for me to use printers.

In honesty, I don't use them at all currently. But I'm finding it might be easier for me to print out lecture slides, etc. to notate on as opposed to writing pointless things that are already on the slides down in a notebook?

What do you do? Do you own a printer, do you use ones on campus (if so, how much does it cost?), or do you just not print off at all?

Martin
17-01-2016, 03:28 PM
I've taken my printer with me to Uni and have used it loads since I've been there! I find it much easier to be able to print off lecture slides/seminar tasks etc in the evening whilst studying/preparing for the next day and it means I don't have to worry about going to collect it from one of the uni buildings!

My printer is also one of those all in one photocopier/scanner/printer things so it's been really handy for scanning resources into my laptop too!

In terms of printing out lecture slides, some of my lectures have 60-80 slides and it becomes really expensive to print them all off even with 9 slides per page! So I only print important lectures off really. I also have a tablet now so tend to just make notes on that!

Red
17-01-2016, 03:36 PM
At uni I had a printer but I only used it the odd time if I didn't have time/didn't want to go to the library but mostly used the uni library to print as you got a good deal.

Kyle
17-01-2016, 03:41 PM
wish i had a printer it costs me a lot of money to print readings cos i can't read them from a screen. Definitely worth printing off lectures and annotating them though, people who take full lecture notes of stuff already written down bug me a lot.

Tom
17-01-2016, 03:49 PM
I've taken my printer with me to Uni and have used it loads since I've been there! I find it much easier to be able to print off lecture slides/seminar tasks etc in the evening whilst studying/preparing for the next day and it means I don't have to worry about going to collect it from one of the uni buildings!

My printer is also one of those all in one photocopier/scanner/printer things so it's been really handy for scanning resources into my laptop too!

In terms of printing out lecture slides, some of my lectures have 60-80 slides and it becomes really expensive to print them all off even with 9 slides per page! So I only print important lectures off really. I also have a tablet now so tend to just make notes on that!

Good idea with the tablet - which tablet do you use? I'd maybe try and find one which I can handwrite on and then save the lecture slides again with my notes on? Saves paper. Not sure if this is what you do, or just type them up as they go along?

At uni I had a printer but I only used it the odd time if I didn't have time/didn't want to go to the library but mostly used the uni library to print as you got a good deal.

So you never really printed off lectures and things? Did you just take notes in a notebook?

wish i had a printer it costs me a lot of money to print readings cos i can't read them from a screen. Definitely worth printing off lectures and annotating them though, people who take full lecture notes of stuff already written down bug me a lot.

Get one then! Sorry, I'm one of those people who annoy you ;) (when I actually take notes - because half the time I feel as though it's pointless; another reason I'm considering just getting a printer).

Martin
17-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Good idea with the tablet - which tablet do you use? I'd maybe try and find one which I can handwrite on and then save the lecture slides again with my notes on? Saves paper. Not sure if this is what you do, or just type them up as they go along?

So you never really printed off lectures and things? Did you just take notes in a notebook?

Get one then! Sorry, I'm one of those people who annoy you ;) (when I actually take notes - because half the time I feel as though it's pointless; another reason I'm considering just getting a printer).

I have a windows tablet. The built in web browser also has a feature that lets you annotate and write on web pages and save them which has also been really handy! When I'm taking notes on slides though I tend to just write my notes at the bottom of the slides where it allows you to type!

When I first started Uni I thought it would be a fantastic idea to just basically copy the information on the slides down into my notebook, but then I realised I was wasting my time really!

I would say the most useful thing about my printer though is the scanner function because I've been able to (probably illegally) scan in some pages out of books etc that I've needed to reference in essays meaning I could take the books back and just use the pages when I needed to! :)

-:Undertaker:-
17-01-2016, 05:25 PM
i used university printers. printers are hassle as with any technology its bound to go wrong

Tom
17-01-2016, 08:55 PM
I have a windows tablet. The built in web browser also has a feature that lets you annotate and write on web pages and save them which has also been really handy! When I'm taking notes on slides though I tend to just write my notes at the bottom of the slides where it allows you to type!

When I first started Uni I thought it would be a fantastic idea to just basically copy the information on the slides down into my notebook, but then I realised I was wasting my time really!

I would say the most useful thing about my printer though is the scanner function because I've been able to (probably illegally) scan in some pages out of books etc that I've needed to reference in essays meaning I could take the books back and just use the pages when I needed to! :)

The surface? Ah, I didn't know it had that feature - nice! Good idea with the scanning of pages thing too, tbh

i used university printers. printers are hassle as with any technology its bound to go wrong

What's gonna go wrong?! The only thing is, I don't think it's actually that cheap and I'd end up spending more printing via campus printers then I will with a personal printer?

Red
17-01-2016, 09:33 PM

No I printed of slides beforehand and took notes on them in class. I also had 100s of pages to print off and read for lectures but I did all that at the library

Alkaz
17-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Depends what you study. I bought a £120 A3 printer whilst at university and I ended up saving loads of money. As I was studying architecture I would have to print out my work on at least A3 and in colour, at the time I didn't have a printer so at uni this was costing me 70p a sheet. I also had to print out lecture notes and other stuff like that at 10p a sheet for an A4. Some weeks I would be spending between £15-25 on printing so it was well worth the investment for myself personally. Now I'm not at home I still have the printer, inks are dirt cheap and I can still use it when ever I need it, so for me it was win/win as I saved money and I still have the physical printer.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!