PDA

View Full Version : volunteer work

Gina
04-10-2016, 10:41 PM
do you volunteer anywhere or have u before?
if so how long for
what did u do
did u enjoy it !

why did you do it also was it compulsory or did u do it by choice?
would u say its helped u at all

Cerys
04-10-2016, 10:57 PM
i volunteered at leeds fest for 6 days and it was the worst experience of my life x x

though I think it has helped a lot cos since I added it to my CV i've had a lot more responses (idk if that's just a coincidence). i don't know if i'd volunteer for anything again cos I quite like getting money haha, i mean if it was doing something i absolutely loved like working in a dog shelter then i'd definitely do it but if it was shop work etc i'd be a bit hesitant and probably say no

Catchy
04-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I volunteered for a year prior to uni on a maternity ward, sort of compulsory to get on my midwifery degree to have some sort of care experience. I did really enjoy it, was limited with what I could do and didn't do much but it gave me an understanding of what I was actually getting myself into. It definitely helped me as got me onto my course and I'm now qualified. I'd definitely recommend it as always looks amazing on cvs! Also volunteered overseas a few years ago with children which was an amazing experience. I'm looking to go to Africa in the next few years to practice over there for a few months as healthcare is completely different over there so will be eye opening to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elegance
04-10-2016, 11:26 PM
yes i volunteer for habbox dot com

seriously no i volunteered on a farm in the summer but i did like 1 day and gave up lol x
i've volunteered for things with college/school but that's not the same rly

thatc00lgirl
05-10-2016, 06:22 AM
I volunteered for SPCA & Animals Lovers League which are both shelters for dogs and cats and it was not a job, it was kind
of what i wanted to do more for the animals, to give them the love they didn't have. I do volunteering here and there for
local elderly homes & orphanages too, to visit them, talk to them, and just you know chill with them. Still doing it now on the
weekends because i am working during the week days, and it kind of reminded me how lucky i am to have a family, a home and
surrounded by people who has helped me grow in these *almost* 19 years of my life (:

And ofc, i've volunteering now at habbox AHA

Empired
05-10-2016, 06:33 AM
I'm a girl guide unit helper and have been a young leader for the last four years as well. It's a lot of fun and I love my unit in particular - don't think I'd be interested in joining another unit particularly as I stay for the people rather than the fact it's guiding! Looks wonderful on my cv as well

thatc00lgirl
05-10-2016, 06:41 AM
I'm a girl guide unit helper and have been a young leader for the last four years as well. It's a lot of fun and I love my unit in particular - don't think I'd be interested in joining another unit particularly as I stay for the people rather than the fact it's guiding! Looks wonderful on my cv as well

Do you guys have international girl guides meetings?
Its been quite a while seen i've seen one here in Singapore where the units from all around the world came together and
mixed around and celebrated? Empired;

Empired
05-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Do you guys have international girl guides meetings?
Its been quite a while seen i've seen one here in Singapore where the units from all around the world came together and
mixed around and celebrated? Empired;
We do have one in one of the world meeting centres in London but I've never been and neither has anyone from my unit. We pretty much keep ourselves to ourselves.

Absently
05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I've volunteered for a few things. I volunteered in a children's group for disadvantaged children twice a week for my college course. I've also volunteered for horror house, which was heaps of fun!!! I have also volunteered in a charity shop where I worked alongside the homeless shelter which was quite nice :)

thatc00lgirl
05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
We do have one in one of the world meeting centres in London but I've never been and neither has anyone from my unit. We pretty much keep ourselves to ourselves.

Ah mine was held at our Kallang Wave Stadium here in Singapore, it was pretty nice seeing all the units come together!
It was interesting to see like all the different uniform styles in real life aha.
Awe you guys should go and mix around!
I wanted to join Girl Guides but my secondary school last time didn't have any, so i pretty much stopped at the Brownie level
after i graduated from Primary School.

Ps. I still enjoy Girl Guides cookies, esp the chocolate mint ones xD

- - - Updated - - -

I've volunteered for a few things. I volunteered in a children's group for disadvantaged children twice a week for my college course. I've also volunteered for horror house, which was heaps of fun!!! I have also volunteered in a charity shop where I worked alongside the homeless shelter which was quite nice :)

What was your role?
I was a zombie for this charity haunted house xD

Absently
05-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Ah mine was held at our Kallang Wave Stadium here in Singapore, it was pretty nice seeing all the units come together!
It was interesting to see like all the different uniform styles in real life aha.
Awe you guys should go and mix around!
I wanted to join Girl Guides but my secondary school last time didn't have any, so i pretty much stopped at the Brownie level
after i graduated from Primary School.

Ps. I still enjoy Girl Guides cookies, esp the chocolate mint ones xD

- - - Updated - - -

What was your role?
I was a zombie for this charity haunted house xD

I played a few different roles! I was like a scary person with a guillotone for a few nights and I did this thing where you push your hand in through the wall haha

thatc00lgirl
05-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Absently; That is scary haha, oh for one of the scary zones, i was this nurse who made people put their hands into an
unknown mixture in a black box and pull out whatever to get a prize. Someone got a fake rat, screamed, threw the rat + slime
in my face and ran away xD A scary person with a guillotone sounds like what McKamey Manor in the US would have xD

Red
05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I am a brownie leader and do various youth things at church. Been on two oversees trips to Uganda.

Expling
05-10-2016, 06:27 PM
I volunteered in a charity shop when I turned 14 but due to my age there were loads of restrictions so didn't last very long (they gave me the boring jobs :(). I might look into going back to one now to get a bit of retail experience for when I apply for future jobs but everything is extremely hectic atm with sixth form and stuff :(

Janet Snakehole
05-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Used to volunteer at a local LGBT group, working with young people :)

dbgtz
06-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Volunteered for an after school club once a week for a few months, but I think that's about as far as my volunteering record goes :P For me it was a voluntary but highly advised thing to do, and I'm glad I did as it seems to have got attention and will probably help a lot in future. Not sure if it's helped me develop any kind of skills honestly though, but maybe it has and I just don't realise it. Ultimately not sure if I will consider going back to it or not (will start in October/November time if I do) or just find something else.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!