PDA

View Full Version : mock exams

Elegance
18-10-2016, 06:07 PM
do you study for mock exams? how much preparation do you do?
do you perform well in them?
are you careless towards them?
how do your mock results affect your attitude towards studying, do they make you want to work harder or just prevent you from wanting to do work?
just some q's!

for those of you who aren't in education/don't have to do mock exams, what did you do in the past?

i just got my mock results back today from my first set of the year and i'm v pleased with the result!
although it did get me thinking about how mocks change my attitude to studying considering last year i revised ridiculously hard for my first set of mock exams (i got ACD) and felt completely unmotivated and didn't want to work at all afterwards, i even gave up on french at that point because i got a D after writing at least one essay per night and i ended up not studying for french at all from october to january until i got a tutor which really helped with my motivation and confidence. however this year i've finished my mocks (i got AAA, would've been A*A*A but my teachers won't give A*'s in mocks, even though i got full marks in one subject) and i feel really motivated to study and maintain those grades. i think the higher i achieve in my mocks, the harder i work because it makes me believe it's actually possible for me to get good grades, if i get bad grades i usually just give up, although that's a horrible attitude towards work ethics. in regards to preparation, last year i don't think i bothered other than for french, this year i was well prepared for everything except french lol. if i do prepare, i only prepare/write notes for things that will actually be useful within the exam so i can reuse my resources cus i make them all myself.

despite everything, i still feel like mocks are incredibly unrealistic and i don't see them as a good indicator as to how much progress an individual has made, like even though i got good grades i wouldn't believe i'm a straight A student or even worthy of such grades lol. i just prefer to get good grades because i know that's what motivates me rather than getting bad grades bcus i'll give up!!!

wbu x

Joe
18-10-2016, 06:13 PM
when i did mock exams in a levels and gcses i was ridiculously blasé about it and i proved that with my god awful results in them - i just didn't see the point in them personally but now i realise how important they are to judge about your own progress etc

and YAAAAAS you were bloody panicking so much about your french and to come out with such an amazing grade, and also the other ones you're incredible!!! just remember to recreate your success when it really matters, and that's if you don't get unconditional offers (which are quite probable now)

whoeful
22-10-2016, 01:43 AM
i do 'Mock Week' 5 times in a school year which is just 2/3 mocks a day for a week and we have just done it this week. Usually we do more mocks than 9 but its only october so we did 3 math mocks, 3 science, 2 english and an RE mock but i skived thursdayso I missed RE. Mocks are terrible for me I dont do well in exams and they make me ill, ive had a tension head ache since wednesday.
At the start of mock week i actually do try really hard, but after 5/6 mocks ill start leaving out questions, one word answers, and ill sleep through the rest of my mocks, the invigilators woke me up this week was pure fumin

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!