PDA

View Full Version : The should the next doctor who lead be female debate (and forced equality in media)

peteyt
06-02-2017, 10:23 AM
For those who haven't heard, Peter Capaldi has announced this years series (series 10 - starting in about April I think) will be his last. Sadly it makes sense, as the next series will be a new showrunner so he will probably want to start afresh. This has caused debates on who could replace him and also debates on if the show is ready for a female incarnation. What do people think about this? Should the doctor stay male?

I think the doctor should stay male and the reason for this debate is the fact that it seems people who believe this are automatically deemed sexist. There's nothing sexist about wanting a male character to remain male. The doctor has always been male. I think it may have been different if we'd got a female regeneration early on, but to have basically a full regeneration cycle as a male, well surely probability would have stated if we where to have a female we already should have had one.

I think this isn't just a problem for doctor who though - I mean look at the 3rd Ghostbuster film. Admittingly I have not seen the reboot, but I know it seemed to flop. I think the problem is rather than trying to create new exciting original content, certain feminists and SJWs are trying to change already established characters.

What I also find interesting is the fact that these same people would probably kick off if we did the same thing. For example I never watched it but heard there's a remake of Xena: Princess Warrior. I don't see anyone complaining about how her character has always been a female and I bet if they decided to turn him male, these people would be outraged and call it sexist, so why can they do the same?

It seems that there's a lot of forced equality in media today. I have no problem with equality, but it should never be forced. For example taking doctor who, it's new spin off class felt very list ticking, like they were trying to include characters from every background. It shouldn't be like that. I only hope show's like doctor who don't bend to peer pressure. If the BBC do decide to have a female doctor, as much as I would prefer they didn't, I only hope they choose someone because they fit the part rather than a list ticking agenda.

-:Undertaker:-
06-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Doctor Who is a man so no.

hungryfront
06-02-2017, 09:31 PM
The world seems to have this idea that a lead character can never be a straight white male and targets anybody who has that. Yes, it's out of proportion and I totally think minorities should be marching for it, however people who do things shouldn't be targeted. There shouldn't be a 0% chance of a straight white male getting a role, it should be equal.

Yes, this was aimed at everything BuzzFeed says, trying to shoot men down.

-:Undertaker:-
06-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Truth is we have straight white males as lead roles because the main audiences are straight white males (or females) and that's what they want to see. And what the audience wants the audience ought to get. Straight guys don't want to see a gay spiderman kiss his boyfriend, its off putting to them. Straight white women on the other hand don't want to see an overweight Chinese lesbian in a lead role because they want to see someone they find attractive/drawn to. And frankly, as a gay guy myself I don't want to see PC garbage either.

If minorities want to get in on film etc then why don't they go and write their own scripts, produce them and see how they fare in the cinema or on television. Answer: they'll flop or at the very best be minor motion pictures like so many LGBTXYZ films/shows.

Loser liberal-left wing SJWs are trying to hijack well known brands to force their agenda. And look what we get, Ghostbusters RIP.

Chris
07-02-2017, 09:28 AM
I don't care either way really. I think it would be a bit strange at first, but maybe refreshing!

FlyingJesus
07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
The biggest problem with switching to a female lead is that showrunners then tend to make the entire thing ABOUT them being female, rather than being a character. I personally don't care either way because I think Dr Who is a terrible show, but if they do change to a lady Doc I can see it being a series of "look what I can do huahhhhhh gurl powa" like with the abomination that was the new Ghostbusters, and especially with a show like Dr Who where the character changes bodies it should be about the character and not the body it's in

hungryfront
07-02-2017, 10:28 PM
People like people that are similar to themselves. White men want to see white men. White women want to see white women. Take a look at your real life friendship group - mine are mostly white. It's not intentional, it's subconscious.

Anyway, it's all about the target audience.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

peteyt
08-02-2017, 05:12 PM
The biggest problem with switching to a female lead is that showrunners then tend to make the entire thing ABOUT them being female, rather than being a character. I personally don't care either way because I think Dr Who is a terrible show, but if they do change to a lady Doc I can see it being a series of "look what I can do huahhhhhh gurl powa" like with the abomination that was the new Ghostbusters, and especially with a show like Dr Who where the character changes bodies it should be about the character and not the body it's in
Yeah I can see this happening. The problem is that you can't just have a character who has been male for 50 years suddenly change to a female without any mention in the same way that someone wouldn't just change sex in the real worlr without saying anything. We should also remember the doctor has a wife, granddaughter etc. all things that would effect a sudden sex change.

The problem however is how they would address this. If the show turns it into a running gag like they did with the red nose day spoof from many years ago then the show will just become a joke.

I can also see complaints from the female if they make her too strong that she's just there for eye candy yet if they add weakness they will see it as men saying women are weak.

Like others have mentioned the best way is to leave the character male. There's nothing wrong with the show having strong females working alongside the doctor. Hell for a show that femenists often claim is sexist it's surprising how often the lead female gets more airtime and generally saves the doctor and the day.

If that's not enough for femenists then make your own show instead of hijacking something else

iBlueBox
12-02-2017, 12:16 PM
The next Doctor will be a male, 100% guarantee. I don't care about race or skin colour. But I can guarantee it'll be a young handsome male.

The show at the moment is in a status of falling viewership and terrible writing arguably. With them changing show runner, and doctor it gives them a 100% chance to get the viewing figures back up.

They'll probably go young and male as they know that works.

I'ld hate the Doctor becoming a female character, I mean it may work, but its too much of a risk. Its like making James Bond female.

Empired
14-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Doctor Who isn't real?? Why are we ok with a weirdo hopping round in a POLICE BOX that can take him through space and time but the moment a second X chromosome is mentioned everyone freaks out? Surely what with the Doctor being a fictional character he can be whatever the writers imagine him to be.

And no, I don't think it would be a good idea for the next Doctor to be female for the reasons iBlueBox mentioned above^.

peteyt
16-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Doctor Who isn't real?? Why are we ok with a weirdo hopping round in a POLICE BOX that can take him through space and time but the moment a second X chromosome is mentioned everyone freaks out? Surely what with the Doctor being a fictional character he can be whatever the writers imagine him to be.

And no, I don't think it would be a good idea for the next Doctor to be female for the reasons iBlueBox mentioned above^.

I think that's the point though. You have feminists demanding a female doctor for a fictional show. Surely these people should be looking at real issues rather than attacking a show that isn't harming anyone.

FlyingJesus
16-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Tilda Swinton supposedly the favourite to take over the role, I love her so hope she doesn't do it because Dr Who sucks

peteyt
16-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Tilda Swinton supposedly the favourite to take over the role, I love her so hope she doesn't do it because Dr Who sucks

Depends who you ask. Many will say it's an iconic show. I've not seen any of her stuff but I'd rather have someone like her, a more mature female than someone too young. Apparently she's very busy, hollywood and all that, so probably won't have the time anyways

Empired
16-02-2017, 06:39 PM
I think that's the point though. You have feminists demanding a female doctor for a fictional show. Surely these people should be looking at real issues rather than attacking a show that isn't harming anyone.
Yes but on the other hand, my point is also: You have crazy fanboys demanding a male doctor for a fictional show. Surely these people should be looking at real issues rather than defending a show that isn't harming anyone.

I'm saying by your logic surely it shouldn't matter either way. If people shouldn't care that he's male, surely they also shouldn't care if the doctor is female?

olliepotterton
16-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Doctor Who has never been female (which is a given), and should never be. The character regenerates, but as a female? That would be bizzare.

peteyt
17-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Yes but on the other hand, my point is also: You have crazy fanboys demanding a male doctor for a fictional show. Surely these people should be looking at real issues rather than defending a show that isn't harming anyone.

I'm saying by your logic surely it shouldn't matter either way. If people shouldn't care that he's male, surely they also shouldn't care if the doctor is female?
Depends how many want it. If the majority of fans don't want a female doctor surely they should voice their opinions. I know some fans will want it but I have a feeling some of the loudest femenists aren't even fans and just trying to change things so they are in their image.

I just think people are trying to force diversity too much in media and doctor who is just one of many examples. There was a petition for frozen 2 for Elsa to have a girlfriend. I'm not saying diversity is bad but when it's forced and put in due to pressure it doesn't work.

Gandalf87
20-02-2017, 09:20 AM
For those who haven't heard, Peter Capaldi has announced this years series (series 10 - starting in about April I think) will be his last. Sadly it makes sense, as the next series will be a new showrunner so he will probably want to start afresh. This has caused debates on who could replace him and also debates on if the show is ready for a female incarnation. What do people think about this? Should the doctor stay male?

I think the doctor should stay male and the reason for this debate is the fact that it seems people who believe this are automatically deemed sexist. There's nothing sexist about wanting a male character to remain male. The doctor has always been male. I think it may have been different if we'd got a female regeneration early on, but to have basically a full regeneration cycle as a male, well surely probability would have stated if we where to have a female we already should have had one.

I think this isn't just a problem for doctor who though - I mean look at the 3rd Ghostbuster film. Admittingly I have not seen the reboot, but I know it seemed to flop. I think the problem is rather than trying to create new exciting original content, certain feminists and SJWs are trying to change already established characters.

What I also find interesting is the fact that these same people would probably kick off if we did the same thing. For example I never watched it but heard there's a remake of Xena: Princess Warrior. I don't see anyone complaining about how her character has always been a female and I bet if they decided to turn him male, these people would be outraged and call it sexist, so why can they do the same?

It seems that there's a lot of forced equality in media today. I have no problem with equality, but it should never be forced. For example taking doctor who, it's new spin off class felt very list ticking, like they were trying to include characters from every background. It shouldn't be like that. I only hope show's like doctor who don't bend to peer pressure. If the BBC do decide to have a female doctor, as much as I would prefer they didn't, I only hope they choose someone because they fit the part rather than a list ticking agenda.

Agreed.
This sexist thing seems o be going way out of hand I guess. I'm okay with everything but if the original character was a guy, please let it be so. You can make a Batwoman but please don't try and experiment with some of the key traits, Dr. Who's gender in this case. I guess if they are intending a spin-off or an alternate universe kinda thing, then I guess it's okay, but I personally don't like things experimented only to please right activists. You can have all the rights you want, but please, don't doubt the genuine intentions of people who vote for a male Dr. Who. Everyone isn't a sexist.

despect
22-02-2017, 05:40 PM
I can see where people are coming from but I think it might be interesting to see the new doctor being female (if they had the right person playing the doctor).

DaimC
10-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Short answer.. No

Chloe7355
14-03-2017, 05:45 PM
As long as they can act well...who cares really?

despect
14-03-2017, 07:35 PM
As long as they can act well...who cares really?

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

LUCPIX
31-03-2017, 04:34 PM
The entire media is plural and carries lots of different intentions with itself so, also, there's lots of kinds of Women's representation; Currently, most of them prejudices 90% and helps 10%

The emerging representation of women and minorities in a movie, soap operas, series, etc is what I usually call "exotified representation" and it's negative and various aspects. Is it nice LGBT/Black/Women teens/children seeing that there's LGBT/Black/Women protagonists? Yes, really is. But it ain't enough to put these characters in order to fill quotas and we always need to analyse how these characters are being put on the movie/series. What we see, most of the times, are empty, stereotyped characters with no complex personality whose main function is only to fill those quotes of minorities and behaving in an unnatural and not-inspiring way; LGBT doing only LGBT stuff, giving the LGBT kiss on the last scenes of the movie (and the movie's direction turning it into a greatest spectacle, not helping the homophobic ones to face is as normal) women doing forced "empowering" attitudes... but it's far from true - Everybody, after all, are HUMANS, with our personal abilities, different interests different dreams, anyway, the same complexity of a common cis white hetero man!!! How can we say that that exotified representation won't happen on Dr Who?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!