PDA

View Full Version : have you ever done a presentation?

Sho
01-03-2017, 05:03 PM
like with a powerpoint in front of a class?
i've never done it before but i have one tomorrow that has to last 10-15 mins. i'm not shy so not worried about public speaking etc more worried that i'll go blank and forget what i planned to say lmao

have you ever had to do one? did you like/hate it?
got any tips?

despect
01-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Ugh I've done a few but as you can probably tell I hate them when I was at school I was always such a nervous person and I hated talking so I just stayed quiet. I managed to get the presentations done though but with a lot of struggle :(

Brad
01-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Oh god. For me, when I was in uni, we had lots of presentations. Only one I remember was my psychology class in which we took a characteristic of a person's identity (ADHD, Split personality, depress, etc.) And we had to present it to the class. I remember standing in front of 70 some odd people with another person trying to explain ours (which I totally forget now) and being so freaked out because we were not ready. Lol,

As uni went on, I realized that it's always best to have more than you need because you tend to speak faster Infront of people than when you're going through your notes by yourself.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sho
01-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Oh god. For me, when I was in uni, we had lots of presentations. Only one I remember was my psychology class in which we took a characteristic of a person's identity (ADHD, Split personality, depress, etc.) And we had to present it to the class. I remember standing in front of 70 some odd people with another person trying to explain ours (which I totally forget now) and being so freaked out because we were not ready. Lol,

As uni went on, I realized that it's always best to have more than you need because you tend to speak faster Infront of people than when you're going through your notes by yourself.

mine is also for psychology! we have a module called readings in psychology and we were all given an article to read and we have to share what our article was about to the class in the form of a presentation.

i timed myself and my presentation is 11 mins when i read it out with my notes and when i practice without my notes it goes longer to like 13-14 mins since i go blank and panic and add extra information in hahaha. but yes i am also worried that i'll panic when i do it tomorrow and speed through it so it ends up being like 5 minutes and i fail :P

Absently
01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
yeah I've done one in college and three in uni, my third one was yesterday. I didn't mind it in college as I was really good friends with everyone in my class so it was a breeze. I get really nervous about public speaking and even if I've learned it all off by heart I won't remember anything :( the one I did before last I was so nervous and ended up with a really bad pain in my chest, probably an anxiety attack! the one I did yesterday was alright because we were allowed to sit down whilst we did it :)

Brad
01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
mine is also for psychology! we have a module called readings in psychology and we were all given an article to read and we have to share what our article was about to the class in the form of a presentation.

i timed myself and my presentation is 11 mins when i read it out with my notes and when i practice without my notes it goes longer to like 13-14 mins since i go blank and panic and add extra information in hahaha. but yes i am also worried that i'll panic when i do it tomorrow and speed through it so it ends up being like 5 minutes and i fail :P
Lol, I feel like psychology is always the case for presentation. You'll do fine though.
What was your article about?

Sho
01-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Lol, I feel like psychology is always the case for presentation. You'll do fine though.
What was your article about?

it discusses a study that tested the hypothesis that moving schools frequently will have a negative effect on a child's math skills.
here's a link in case you're bored lmao https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4682346/

Brad
01-03-2017, 05:25 PM
it discusses a study that tested the hypothesis that moving schools frequently will have a negative effect on a child's math skills.
here's a link in case you're bored lmao https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4682346/
Haha! Perfect, I'll take a look at it, and maybe make a discussion on it... Though you may have a lot to say about it, this is the sort of stuff I like to read.

Sho
01-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Haha! Perfect, I'll take a look at it, and maybe make a discussion on it... Though you may have a lot to say about it, this is the sort of stuff I like to read.

it was kind of interesting to read i think! i had trouble making sense of some of it, though, and i translated it to welsh using google translate, but the translation was so crap it made it worse lmfao. i've had to just leave them out of my presentation in the hope that nobody will ask about it

Cerys
01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Yaa I've had to do quite a few in uni both in groups and on my own, absolutely hate them I shake nonstop when I do them haha in a group one I did last year my tutor commented on me shaking was quite awkward

Landon
01-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Presented multiple, multiple times in school. Don't worry about it. It's good stress - you'll come out fine in the end!

scottish
01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I find if you know/enjoy what you're talking about they're piss easy as you can go off on tangents and it works better than reading something off a screen if you have no interest.

Landon
01-03-2017, 06:06 PM
I find if you know/enjoy what you're talking about they're piss easy as you can go off on tangents and it works better than reading something off a screen if you have no interest.

Agreed, always know what you're talking about.
I had a big outline prepared on what I wanted to discuss in a few presentations, but I normally just go off script and add whatever I see fit.

Sho
01-03-2017, 06:37 PM
i'm doing the same when i practice. i wrote down exactly what i wanted to say and i just seem to go off script and do my own thing. but as long as i'm making sense i'm not too worried about that lmao. i think presentations sound better when it doesn't sound like you're reading from a script

Landon
01-03-2017, 06:46 PM
i'm doing the same when i practice. i wrote down exactly what i wanted to say and i just seem to go off script and do my own thing. but as long as i'm making sense i'm not too worried about that lmao. i think presentations sound better when it doesn't sound like you're reading from a script

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is go from the heart. At least here, all of my teachers hate when it's read from a script or recited haha.

Brad
01-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Also if you know people who have had that in their life, being able to connect to them on a personal level.

Chris
01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
I've done them many times. I don't particularly like doing them but they've got to be done. I'll possibly be doing one next week at my uni for students looking to do a placement.

Sho
02-03-2017, 11:37 AM
did my presentation this morning and it was fine!! kinda nervous at first but then like 2-3 slides in it was fine

buttons
02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
yep did them often, did get a wee bit better at them
i just practised speaking them out loud to myself lol of course i missed some things out but was able to get through it
one of my presentations was worth 5% of my final grade for one module :( i got a B though so it's ok

dbgtz
02-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Ignoring school, I've done like 1 in college and 2 in uni (soon to be 3 when I present my dissertation). The one in college and the latter one were easy as it was a subject I had read up on a lot and knew lots about. I never bother to learn a script as I find it pointless knowing that I won't stick to it and I will be ask questions at the end which one adhere to the script. As a result, I just learn the subject in as great a depth as I can and using some tool (usually PowerPoint) simply as a guide to what I'm going to talk about.
That's not to say I don't practice what I talk about, but it's something I think in my head which will naturally evolve rather than writing something on paper and hoping I remember it.

I didn't like the 2nd one at all since I didn't really bother doing much research into the topic and, being my only group presentation, found the people I worked with hard to really "connect" with in any sense.

Absently
02-03-2017, 03:18 PM
I find aswell when you're with people it's hard to just speak about what you want as you need to know when you have to come in so I like to follow their script to know.

Mikey
02-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Yeah I had to do tons of uni, you were encouraged to put your own spin on it so I did a task in lots of mine and gave people sweets and cakes as bribes so they wrote nice feedback about me.

It worked though, lectures would speak to me afterwards and say they liked it haha. :)

Sho
02-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Yeah I had to do tons of uni, you were encouraged to put your own spin on it so I did a task in lots of mine and gave people sweets and cakes as bribes so they wrote nice feedback about me.

It worked though; lectures would speak to me afterwards and say they liked it haha. :)

lmao! i think it would have been suspicious if i randomly started handing out cakes for no reason during a presentation that was worth 100% in the module. fun idea though!!

nat965
04-03-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't do uni or anything, but we used to do them in school as assignments, no longer than 10mins.

despect
07-03-2017, 04:35 PM
I only did a few in school but really short ones. I hated them because I was always chosen to do mine last so you sit there watching everyone elses and you keep thinking how much better everyone elses was than mine :(

King-Tom
07-03-2017, 09:50 PM
I actually had my English speaking and listening assessment not long ago, this was in front of around 20 or so people.. we had the choice of what to do it on so i ended up doing a presentation on SAM Broadcaster because it's something i know a lot about and the exam people like key terms and i just seen this as the best route.
I ended up getting a distinction which is the best i could have got ! :)

Sho
07-03-2017, 09:56 PM
i don't find out what i got until the 22nd i think she said

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!