PDA

View Full Version : revision tips needed

Akeel
04-03-2017, 01:26 PM
so my exams start mid may may which means i have approx 2 months and a half remaining and i need some study tips.
i'm predicted an A currently for every subject (minus maths which i'm terrible in)

i like to read every topic from a textbook and make notes per page however because i have 22 exams i feel like i need some tips to help pass my exams. i need to work quicker and more efficiently to ensure i get the grades i need to secure my place in college. i've been made various offers but will need to attain certain grades as the offers r conditional. so any quick revision tips? xx

Sho
04-03-2017, 01:31 PM
oh wow that's a lot of exams. the best way I felt worked for me for my exams this year was creating flash cards for each subject. I also re-read my notes lots of times until it all eventually sunk in. I can't really think of any quick methods though sorry ;(

despect
04-03-2017, 01:36 PM
I usually get rid of any distractions before I start so I can really focus. I find that getting others to test you is good or read over your notes :)

Akeel
04-03-2017, 01:39 PM
i do have revision cards but havent tried using them yet it just seems like such a time consuming process whereas with notes i can cover every area in a topic in a matter of mins.

Sho
04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
yeah i suppose they could be time consuming when you have so many exams to study for :( i only had the one so it wasn't too bad to use them

despect
04-03-2017, 01:45 PM
I think revision notes are easier to go through because you pick up more on the important things and its much easier to read through.

Akeel
04-03-2017, 02:03 PM
yh ur right i think i'll stick to revision notes

despect
04-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Great :) best of luck with your revision x

Absently
04-03-2017, 03:11 PM
I've found recently that writing out mind maps works really well! Helps me to remember dates and names. After that then I do possible exam topics and write out in bullet points the different points I would make

Akeel
04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Thanks so much, I'll be sure to try mind maps. I feel like I can retain tons more info if I make notes on every topic individually though, mindmaps are more for brainstormign smaller things perhaps keywords? Thanks anyway tho. xx

despect
04-03-2017, 03:46 PM
I've found recently that writing out mind maps works really well! Helps me to remember dates and names. After that then I do possible exam topics and write out in bullet points the different points I would make

So many suggested that to me when I was in school and I tried it once but it didn't seem to work very well with me, I forget half of what I've written down especially if it's bullet points. If it's a lot of info I can retain it quite well because I remember the bigger points rather than bullet points. I don't know if that even makes sense..

Absently
04-03-2017, 03:57 PM
So many suggested that to me when I was in school and I tried it once but it didn't seem to work very well with me, I forget half of what I've written down especially if it's bullet points. If it's a lot of info I can retain it quite well because I remember the bigger points rather than bullet points. I don't know if that even makes sense..
different things work for different people, it's just about finding that. for example, flash cards do not work at all for me

despect
04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
different things work for different people, it's just about finding that. for example, flash cards do not work at all for me

Yeah flash cards dont work for me either!

Akeel

yeah I agree. I feel for me notes are more appropriate.

Sho
writing things down is the best way for me. people look at me weird in lectures because i copy everything on the presentations down in my notepad but i do it because it sticks that way and i'll remember it. sometimes i'll have to write it more than once for me to remember it fully, but it's the best method for me. (also i like writing so i don't mind it. i know it can be tedious for most x)

Absently
04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
writing things down is the best way for me. people look at me weird in lectures because i copy everything on the presentations down in my notepad but i do it because it sticks that way and i'll remember it. sometimes i'll have to write it more than once for me to remember it fully, but it's the best method for me. (also i like writing so i don't mind it. i know it can be tedious for most x)
i copy and paste all the presentation notes and my own personal notes into one documentation, print them all off, read everything, highlight, make more notes, read studies and make mind maps, then just keep studying them and learning it off by heart, then exam qs! i know some people who can just read the notes and that's enough for them, not for me tho!

Sho
04-03-2017, 04:06 PM
i copy and paste all the presentation notes and my own personal notes into one documentation, print them all off, read everything, highlight, make more notes, read studies and make mind maps, then just keep studying them and learning it off by heart, then exam qs! i know some people who can just read the notes and that's enough for them, not for me tho!

reading isn't enough for me either, it's like i'd be reading but nothing would stick and i won't remember. i've actually never tried making mind maps though! maybe i'll try that next time
also your way of copying and pasting seems much more efficient than my way lmao

Akeel
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
reading isn't enough for me either, it's like i'd be reading but nothing would stick and i won't remember. i've actually never tried making mind maps though! maybe i'll try that next time
also your way of copying and pasting seems much more efficient than my way lmao

i totally agree, i do like reading but if i want to remember something i'd need to do it repeatedly. other than that i write, then read over it a few times and i'll know it.

MKR&*42
04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Flashcards will only work if you incorporate spaced repetition (Anki is a good programme for this), otherwise they're largely useless. If you're going to use them, add colour and especially images to help you recall the facts better - visual imagery works very well.

Look into the Memory Palace memorising technique and try to apply it where possible.

When reading from notes - read, look away and try to RECALL as much as you can. Then go back and repeat. Do this in many different environments to give you the best opportunity of memorising things properly.

Do it in short bursts - look up the Pomodoro technique as it's especially good for this.

If you highlight things... don't do it often, like once a paragraph. It's better to write notes at the side of the page concerned with the word you want to highlight.

Gl.

Akeel
04-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Flashcards will only work if you incorporate spaced repetition (Anki is a good programme for this), otherwise they're largely useless. If you're going to use them, add colour and especially images to help you recall the facts better - visual imagery works very well.

Look into the Memory Palace memorising technique and try to apply it where possible.

When reading from notes - read, look away and try to RECALL as much as you can. Then go back and repeat. Do this in many different environments to give you the best opportunity of memorising things properly.

Do it in short bursts - look up the Pomodoro technique as it's especially good for this.

If you highlight things... don't do it often, like once a paragraph. It's better to write notes at the side of the page concerned with the word you want to highlight.

Gl.

i highlight every keyword like for every sentence that i do notes on and yeah lol it does look confusing
i wouldnt wanna repeat though i feel like i can learn things the first time then its just reading really

King-Tom
05-03-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm really trying to revise for my exams but nothing i do i can sustain, i usually have light music in the background

Expling
05-03-2017, 07:24 PM
I get really bored whenever I just do handwritten stuff so recently I've been making word documents for each topic, printing them off and then revising from them (reading /condensing the notes even more)
this way they're tidy in my folders and can be easily edited!!

love to have music in the background too and i really like doing it on the computer because i can sort of do other things too (glance over at habbo/message people etc)

good luck with your exams guys!!

Sho
05-03-2017, 08:45 PM
i like to have music in the background too tommy. people always question it saying it distracts them but the silence kills me lol

despect
05-03-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm really trying to revise for my exams but nothing i do i can sustain, i usually have light music in the background

How are you revising at the moment?

King-Tom
05-03-2017, 09:42 PM
How are you revising at the moment?

sitting at my desk with sheets lol

Sho
05-03-2017, 09:44 PM
have you tried things suggested in this thread like mind maps, highlighting, etc?

despect
05-03-2017, 09:45 PM
sitting at my desk with sheets lol

Thats just going to make you feel really overwhelmed. Have you tried listening to music whilst revising? I know some people say it works, for me personally it doesn't.

King-Tom
05-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Thats just going to make you feel really overwhelmed. Have you tried listening to music whilst revising? I know some people say it works, for me personally it doesn't.

i have light music but i always get distracted and end up turning it up lol

despect
05-03-2017, 09:51 PM
i have light music but i always get distracted and end up turning it up lol

Yeah, see thats exactly what happens with me!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!