PDA

View Full Version : Should the internet be censored/regulated?

Landon
22-03-2017, 09:03 PM
http://kidshealth.org/EN/images/headers/K-terrorism-enHD-AR1.gif

With the rise of terror, we know that many terrorists become radicalized through the internet according to many investigations as a result of recent attacks. Terrorists can easily access sites that encourage them or give them instructions on what to do to join the Islamic State, and what they will do afterwards to cause terror. If sites like these weren't around, we may not have that issue.

The glorious internet allows us to post freely of what we want on certain topics such as this one where others can see them. All of us here certainly enjoy that right and connection.

Here's the point. Are we willing to give up our rights to governments to control what is posted on the internet? Or are we resistant to the government and allow more terrorists to become radicalized through its usage?

scottish
22-03-2017, 09:07 PM
You can't.

/thread

Landon
22-03-2017, 09:08 PM
You can't.

/thread

But why is this?

scottish
22-03-2017, 09:23 PM
How would you plan on censoring/regulating it?

The internet isn't some black box that the USA owns and everything passes through this so that they can moderate it.

Go research the dark web as a starting point.

despect
22-03-2017, 09:29 PM
I don't think it could actually ever happen, like Scott said you can't moderate EVERYTHING posted. I think in regards to your comment about terrorism there's a lot less on the internet because they have actually dealt with a lot of them and even if they moderated one image or site they'll be loads more to moderate. It doesn't seem like it is very realistic to moderate everything.

Landon
22-03-2017, 10:11 PM
How would you plan on censoring/regulating it?

The internet isn't some black box that the USA owns and everything passes through this so that they can moderate it.

Go research the dark web as a starting point.

I am not for censorship and I do know quite well how the dark web operates. Just trying to invoke discussion.

North Korea censors their content. They regulate this via the use of laws and other threatening propaganda. We actually do have a bit of internet regulation going on. For instance, you cannot harass or cyberbully, etc. These are all regulated via laws. I think that if the idea of censoring came about, they could go tougher on laws and regulations, providing a larger budget to the teams that comb through data looking for red flags.

Empired
22-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Of course you can harass and cyberbully. It happens to countless people up and down the country all day every day. You are not supposed to, but it's something that's almost impossible to regulate unless it's super obvious and there's plenty of evidence.

Brad
22-03-2017, 10:20 PM
There can be stuff set in place that internet providers can put onto their user's internet. It's not entirely foolproof, but I know in China they have things set in place where you cannot go to certain websites, etc. I guess it all starts at the root of everything: the internet providers

Landon
22-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Of course you can harass and cyberbully. It happens to countless people up and down the country all day every day. You are not supposed to, but it's something that's almost impossible to regulate unless it's super obvious and there's plenty of evidence.

It can be quite easy to regulate if people would report things like this. Local police station. Places near me are quite good about dealing with these issues or so I have heard.

zammy149
23-03-2017, 05:56 AM
but thats impossible the internet is freedom.

peteyt
23-03-2017, 05:06 PM
There can be stuff set in place that internet providers can put onto their user's internet. It's not entirely foolproof, but I know in China they have things set in place where you cannot go to certain websites, etc. I guess it all starts at the root of everything: the internet providers
The big problem with doing what China does is it can actually force people to find ways around and force them underground

Landon
23-03-2017, 05:08 PM
The big problem with doing what China does is it can actually force people to find ways around and force them underground

Kind of like TOR and the dark net, you are saying? People still sell drugs and (very rarely) order hitmen through the dark net. There's ways around the government's moderation. ;)

peteyt
23-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Kind of like TOR and the dark net, you are saying? People still sell drugs and (very rarely) order hitmen through the dark net. There's ways around the government's moderation. ;)
Yeah exactly. Threre will be 100s of silk road like sites we will never here of. The government obviously should try and tackle criminal activity online but i dont think the government and organisations are really that up to date with the internet.

Landon
23-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Yeah exactly. Threre will be 100s of silk road like sites we will never here of. The government obviously should try and tackle criminal activity online but i dont think the government and organisations are really that up to date with the internet.

It seems like the raid the official silk road once a year and it always comes back haha. People will always find ways to evade.

Brad
23-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Oh it definitely does, which is why the IP hider is so common because really the thing that internet providers do is they cap and restrict with using IP address based in China, so when you're hiding IPs, it's easier to go under radar.

hungryfront
23-03-2017, 08:36 PM
I don't think it's possible to regulate what's already here as such, however a law could be passed about all new websites must be passed through the government, any edits must be, etc. Whether we should do that or not is an entirely different question - Trump would probably agree with invading others' privacy, but accuses Obama of wiring his phone with no proof and gets annoyed his privacy is invaded.

Landon
23-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Trump would probably agree with invading others' privacy, but accuses Obama of wiring his phone with no proof and gets annoyed his privacy is invaded.

You don't understand the difference between data collection and literally accessing that data.

peteyt
24-03-2017, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's possible to regulate what's already here as such, however a law could be passed about all new websites must be passed through the government, any edits must be, etc. Whether we should do that or not is an entirely different question - Trump would probably agree with invading others' privacy, but accuses Obama of wiring his phone with no proof and gets annoyed his privacy is invaded.
Would never happen as it would clash with freedom of speech e.g. they could easily simply deny a website that critisised the government

hungryfront
24-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Would never happen as it would clash with freedom of speech e.g. they could easily simply deny a website that critisised the government
Exactly - it could happen but shouldn't.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Landon
24-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Agreed but at least in the US we do have limitations to freedom of speech. For instance you cannot threaten to kill the president. You're going to be thrown in prison or interrogated (if you're not a politician). ;)

peteyt
24-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Agreed but at least in the US we do have limitations to freedom of speech. For instance you cannot threaten to kill the president. You're going to be thrown in prison or interrogated (if you're not a politician). ;)

That's the same in most places e.g. the uk

Landon
24-03-2017, 07:08 PM
That's the same in most places e.g. the uk

I had figured. Didn't want to make assumptions though!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!