PDA

View Full Version : Sharing fuel cost

nat965
16-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Is it rude to ask for fuel money / to share the cost of fuel if you're giving someone a lift, in general?

FlyingJesus
16-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Depends how far you're going, if it's just like down the road to the pub then nah just get a pint (of coke obv, tut tut) off them but if you're going a long way then def ask for fuel money, be rude of them not to offer really

Chris
16-05-2017, 07:57 PM
I dunno, if its a long journey its kind of rude for the person getting the lift not to offer...so no I dont think its rude to ask.

Absently
16-05-2017, 09:05 PM
yeh as mentioned above, if it's a long journey and you both are wanting to go somewhere together then it would be rude not to divide the cost of fuel between you both.

i was in a situation last year where i would drive to uni and on the way i would pick up my friend and her housemate (friend at the time) would join us. it was out of my way to goto their house but i didnt mind because my friend would drive half of the time too so it meant we were just using 1 parking space. our other friend (the non driver) would always hop into the car without asking which annoyed me a bit (he would bring his gf too some times). my car is tiny and crap and with the added weight of someone in the back seat i can feel it!! i also need to work to keep my car to pay for my tax and insurance!! and when someone gets a lift 5 days a week without contributing it quite annoyed me in the end. my friend and i then decided amongst ourselves we would all put in a fiver a week for the petrol costs to make it fair on us all, which he agreed to but wouldnt pay up!!

perhaps that is petty im not too sure!

Charlie
17-05-2017, 02:12 PM
If it's a long journey than yeah, cause you're gonna use more fuel but if it's a short journey then I wouldn't worry about it, as FlyingJesus said if it's to a pub or restaurant then you could just say pay for my drink or something along those lines.

nat965
17-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Unless it was completely out of my way and a long distance, I would be be happy to do it for nothing. But I would also want the person to offer...even though I wouldn't accept it.
It's just nice to be offered.

Firehorse
22-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Been doing 1000+kms per journey between cities for the last several months, if they don't chip in for fuel then they don't get a lift. I'd say anything over 25 miles worth they should start chipping in, unless it's like a daily lift then they should be chipping in once a week or something to cover the costs even if it's only 2 or 3 miles.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!