PDA

View Full Version : Motivation to keep applying for jobs

nat965
28-07-2017, 06:50 AM
My dad recently lost his job, and has been applying for job after job after job, even in different fields to get more experience.
I know it's a numbers game and he's probably being filtered out due to a variety of factors, but damn, how do you keep applying in such a sad circumstance?

The 499 rejections to 1 phone call ratio has kind of gotten to him, a little bit.

Neversoft
28-07-2017, 11:14 AM
It took me two months to secure a job earlier in the year, and I was applying every day. In the end, I got an offer and two interviews within the same week. Then when I ended up hating my new job, I came home really fed up one day, and had a quick look at one of the job websites. I applied for the first job I thought sounded okay, and a few days later I was offered that job. There really is no consistency when it comes to job hunting. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it takes time. I never thought it would take me two months — my life was bleak at the time and I was living out of a rucksack, sleeping on a couch at a relatives house, so my motivation was that a job would give me back my independence. I'd be able to get a new apartment, and get back all my belongings from storage, and start living my own life again, and thankfully that's what happened.

Charlie
28-07-2017, 01:58 PM
If I'm looking for a new job then it's usually for a reason. Currently, it's cause I'm tired of working in a supermarket and that's pushing me to try and find something new and better to do. It's not easy, so far I haven't had much luck but I'm going to keep at it but it pays off eventually.

-:Undertaker:-
06-09-2017, 11:52 PM
It seems to come when you least expect it

i got my little job when i least expected it. i'm currently applying now (as of yday) so i've not got it in my head that i'll get X Y or Z by a certain time cos otherwise as you say it's demotivating. already had a recruitment company ask me to come to a assessment day though so that's perked me up a bit. my new CV must be doing something right :P

TinyFroggy
05-10-2018, 11:06 PM
I agree with undertaker. Everything will sort out by itself eventually. You just need to keep supporting your father and make sure his spirit never got washed away.

Neversoft
05-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Everything will sort out by itself eventually.

On the contrary, I think this is a very unrealistic perspective. Motivation takes effort. Rarely does anything 'sort itself out.'

TinyFroggy
06-10-2018, 12:36 AM
By sort itself out, is effort + time. Not just standing and waiting. Keep on trying! <3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!