PDA

View Full Version : Travelling alone

-:Undertaker:-
24-11-2017, 05:02 AM
anyone ever travelled/gone on holiday alone???

i'm really considering it like normally i get someone to go with but like cheap weekends away this january are sooo cheap and if i can't get anyone i could easy go see Amsterdam, Vienna etc on my own really cheap.

don't think i would enjoy as much like but still.. has anyone done and whats it like?

Neversoft
24-11-2017, 07:16 AM
I've been thinking about doing this next year. I really want to go to South Korea, but none of my friends are really into it. I guess it all depends what you really want out of the holiday. If you're going to experience the culture, and have a very clear idea of where you want to visit and what you want to do, then it's probably good to have that freedom of being alone. But on the other hand, when you're with friends, you have not only your individual enjoyment, but a shared enjoyment; a sort of camaraderie and a mutual experience that you will probably bond over and remember fondly for many years. When you're alone, that's kind of lost. In questions like this, I always remember a quote from Into the Wild — "Happiness is only real when shared." I think it's entirely possible to be content and happy alone (perhaps not indefinitely), but to be genuinely happy, you need that kind of common adventure, and that shared rapport. Imagine climbing a mountain alone, it will be a triumph when you reach the summit, but if you do it with a friend, then that's a tremendous bond and an achievement that is so intimate and irreplaceable to the group. I think holidays are as much about having a good time with people you love, as they are about changing your surroundings, and trying something new. I think a lot of people that do go on holiday alone, still end up hanging around with people at their destination. I think to spend an entire holiday alone, and to experience everything in solitude, would feel a little empty, unless it's some sort of existential voyage you've gone on to discover yourself, in which case you probably need that alone time.

GoldenMerc
24-11-2017, 05:00 PM
been doing it for years, once you come out of your comfort zone and do it, it's just so much easier than waiting for x y z to get money, or time off work, you can just go alone and meet a tonne of new people

HotelUser
25-11-2017, 03:18 AM
The first time, for me anyway, was rather stressful because you have nobody else to depend on other than yourself. If you oversleep your flight it's your fault. If you get lost you're in it by yourself. But after you do it a few times it becomes easy, even routine. Personally I think travelling alone and even living thousands of miles away from my family and friends has made me more responsible, more independent. It's hard sometimes but it's been quite rewarding for those reasons.

28-11-2017, 03:19 AM
See this is the thing, and drinking/night out is a big thing for me with friends because we always have a laugh. I love seeing all the sights etc, but it is nice to say to someone "remember when we did..." so hmm. I've been looking at flights in January and February because they usually go cheap then and so far thinking maybe Australia for a week and can stay with family over there.... on the other hand I have just seen a return flight to Bombay in India for £360 and that's just amazing. I might see if I can get someone to go!!!

TinyFroggy
14-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Never did. Would most probably hate it. I can't even 'not travelling' alone. XD

lawrawrrr
14-10-2018, 08:52 PM
This thread is so old but still relevant... I've been thinking about it but it just like worries me more about what people say or think?? It kind of feels like "sad" to go away by yourself :(

Also expensive!!!

But I would love to see Rome and it would be nice to at your own pace...

Zak
15-10-2018, 12:51 PM
I have to travel to London quite a bit but not abroad. I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

15-10-2018, 07:42 PM
This thread is so old but still relevant... I've been thinking about it but it just like worries me more about what people say or think?? It kind of feels like "sad" to go away by yourself :(

Also expensive!!!

But I would love to see Rome and it would be nice to at your own pace...

Don't see why not at all, surely it's more sad being totally dependent on your gf/bf like so many are.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!