HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    xxMATTGxx

Latest Awards:

Default iPad '4G' claims face scrutiny from UK regulator

The Advertising Standards Authority has widened its inquiry into the advertising of the Apple iPad.

The BBC understands the regulator is not satisfied that Apple has complied with an agreement to amend claims about the latest iPad's 4G capabilities.

The UK does not yet have widespread 4G coverage, and the iPad will be incompatible with it when it does.

The regulator said it had received dozens of complaints in relation to the issue. Apple has declined to comment.

The regulator had resolved some of the complaints after discussions with Apple about changes to its advertising, but said it is now looking into further concerns raised by consumers.

A letter to one complainant seen by the BBC says that Apple "have advised us that no further reference to the 4G capabilities of the iPad will be made on their UK website".

The letter goes on to say that this will resolve the complaint, and the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) will consequently be closing the file.

The ASA told the BBC that when it approached Apple the company said it had removed references to 4G from the webpage subject to the complaint, and had edited a video that contained references to 4G.
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17899912

----------------

I am not really surprised at this to be honest considering the UK doesn't even have 4G coverage.

Previous Habbox Roles
    Co-Owner of Habbox | General Manager | Assistant General Manager (Staff) | Forum Manager | Super Moderator | Forum Moderator

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

If the problem is that they're angry in Apple advertising the device as 4G ready then that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life.
    I'm not crazy, ask my toaster.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Next they'll be showing people using google maps on the iphone 4s to find businesses when it can only be done in the US... wait they already did that.

Apple has become a hotbed of false advertising recently. Probably because most of their good new features are focussed on the US.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    xxMATTGxx

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by HotelUser View Post
    If the problem is that they're angry in Apple advertising the device as 4G ready then that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life.
    The device wouldn't actually be 4G in the United Kingdom even if we did have 4G networks.

Previous Habbox Roles
    Co-Owner of Habbox | General Manager | Assistant General Manager (Staff) | Forum Manager | Super Moderator | Forum Moderator

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If the problem is that they're angry in Apple advertising the device is 4G ready then that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life.
    The UK have somewhat sane advertising laws, hence they never aired the "I'm a Mac" ads here. Good job they're making them change it, how can something be 4G capable when the spec isn't even finalised in the UK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    e-rebel forum moderator
    :8

Tokens

Latest Awards:

They're not saying 4G ready, they're plastering 4G, LTE and "full speed ahead" all over their website and stating in very teeny places that it only works in the US or canada (note they also say in other places "across the world", two countries on the same continent, hemisphere and general geographic area are hardly "across the world"). Technically they're right, but what they're very clearly implying is not and this advertising clearly is designed with deceit in mind. The advertising is hardly in "good faith" and unlike across the pond we have an advertising standards agency which does its job.
    Last edited by Chippiewill; 01-05-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
    The UK have somewhat sane advertising laws, hence they never aired the "I'm a Mac" ads here. Good job they're making them change it, how can something be 4G capable when the spec isn't even finalised in the UK?
    It is incredibly stupid how in North America corporations advertise 4G when it's not LTE, however even though I hate it I wouldn't ban them from advertising their product in that way. They should be entitled to create stupid ads if they wish, and I suppose there is a conflict of interest here because I'm used to advertisement regulations over here, and you're used to advertisement regulations over there

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I wouldn't ban them from advertising their product in that way.
    Let's also allow them to advertise their products as curing cancer, because who cares as long as the consumer doesn't know any better.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It is incredibly stupid how in North America corporations advertise 4G when it's not LTE, however even though I hate it I wouldn't ban them from advertising their product in that way. They should be entitled to create stupid ads if they wish, and I suppose there is a conflict of interest here because I'm used to advertisement regulations over here, and you're used to advertisement regulations over there
    If Apple sold the iPad as 4G capable now, that's exactly what the consumers would expect to be able to use, but as it happens a) no networks have rolled any any kind of 4G technology yet and b) the 4G technology they roll out later this year or early next may not even be compatible with the hardware the iPad uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    e-rebel forum moderator
    :8

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
    If Apple sold the iPad as 4G capable now, that's exactly what the consumers would expect to be able to use, but as it happens a) no networks have rolled any any kind of 4G technology yet and b) the 4G technology they roll out later this year or early next may not even be compatible with the hardware the iPad uses.
    I would validate their advertising campaign on two key points:

1. They're clearly marketing based on the 4G definition as defined within the United States and Canada, so they're not just making up baseless claims about their product.

2. Just because a service doesn't exist in an area doesn't mean you should be banned from marketing it in that area (usually). LTE devices were marketed to me where I am in Canada before we had the infrastructure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast