Euro 2024 sweepstakes!
Prizes to be won this summer! Click here to take part, and find yourself a team to cheer on!
Show your pride!
Rainbows galore in our forum shop, including snazzy colours for your username and even a rainbow-coloured... football?
Join Habbox!
Be part of the Habbox family - there are so many roles to pick from! Click here to get your application rolling

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Labour push for a 'Death' Tax

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lan-could.html

A proposal to establish a 'death tax' to fund social care for the elderly could affect more than 17 million British families, the Tories claim. It was revealed this week that Labour ministers are considering plans for an inheritance levy on the estates of middle Britain, which would fund a national scheme for free residential care for elderly people. Labour is said to have carried out secret polls to see if voters would stomach a 10 per cent levy on their estates when they die.

It means that the families of middle income earners with estates worth £500,000 could be hit with a £50,000 tax bill when their relatives die, on top of inheritance tax. The Tories claim more than 70 per cent of voters could be affected by the proposals, as this is the percentage of the population who have estates worth at least £23,000, the level at which pensioners have to fund their own care.

If a death tax was set at this level, the Tories claim it would raise £4.5billion for the tax man. Shadow chief secretary to the Treasury, Philip Hammond, told the Daily Telegraph: 'Yje revelation that grieving families could be forced to stump up for a massive £4.5billion a year death tax shows what a terrible solution this is.' During furious exchanges with the Conservatives on Monday Health Secretary Andy Burnham refused to rule out the prospect of a death tax.
    Mr Burnham will meet with charities and local authorities this week to discuss the proposal.

It follows a bitter row between the main political parties over how to fund free social care in England. They all agree that reform is needed as many old people are forced to sell their homes to pay for care. But private cross-party talks aimed at finding a solution to the problem broke down in acrimony last week. It led to the Conservatives issuing a controversial poster claiming that Labour wanted to introduce a £20,000 death tax to pay for free social care.
    A tax on breathing soon i'm sure. What right has the state got to tax people even more, everything in your house you've already been taxed on including the wages you earned to pay for the actual house and its content - and now they want to put a tax people handing down their own property to their own relatives.

We (England) already pay for Scotlands older people to have free elderly care because if we didnt, Scotland wouldn't be able to afford such a healthcare scheme and now not only are we being asked to pay for Scotlands free healthcare, we're being asked to pay for our own. Maybe if the government stopped wasting billions and billions we could actually afford to look after our own people.

Thoughts, right or wrong?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

This is stupid, maby if they stopped wasting money on a pointless war they would be able to afford it! Our government is getting worse by the day.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

So when I die they want me to pay them money? Good luck with that lol

I know it's from your family, but I'd probably do something to make my family not responsible or something. There's got to some sort of work around like that so that your family don't have to pay?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I dunno when the Tories say 70% of voters could be affected Im not sure if they mean 0.7% its all so confusing when they use statistics!

I dunno I don't think I would care too much when I die, my relatives can earn their money not take mine plus I won't have much to give away anyway (not that this would affect me) cus I plan on spending my money no point it saving loads and loads. My parents remind me quite oftne that I have very little to inherit cus they like holidays in the caribbean and to be honest I don't blame them at all. Its not as if they're (Labour) gonna use the money as toilet paper (might do seeing as its for free healthcare for grannys and grandaddies but still).
    Sammeth.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Apalachi View Post
    So when I die they want me to pay them money? Good luck with that lol

I know it's from your family, but I'd probably do something to make my family not responsible or something. There's got to some sort of work around like that so that your family don't have to pay?
    Yeah often people sign the house to their relatives when they are older, so they are still living there but their son or daughter owns it legally. I think Labour changed the law surrounding that a few years ago because so many people were just doing what you and I have mentioned, it was something like within 7 years if you die after signing away the house you still have to pay the inheritance tax.

Slimy gets.

Tokens

I don't agree with inheritance tax, there are ways around it though.
    Last edited by ifuseekamy; 18-02-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Its disgusting, there still claiming tax off you whilst your in your grave.
    Jordan

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Well you can't fight it on "Moral grounds" about taxing someone when their dead because all of the mainstream parties support "Inheritance tax". I do however dislike "Death tax" but I happen to think its a damn sight better than what the Conservatives are proposing which is paying £6,000 into a pot when you retire.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It's stupid that they are asking for more money off us. They need to stop wasteing it, and use it properly. Stop building new swimming baths and what not... legalise cannabis and put some tax on that, they'll earn a bomb.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Hushie

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Ains.T View Post
    It's stupid that they are asking for more money off us. They need to stop wasteing it, and use it properly. Stop building new swimming baths and what not... legalise cannabis and put some tax on that, they'll earn a bomb.
    Errrrrrrrrrrr..... stop building what the population have been begging for for years?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast