HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Default Confused right now. Drama or Media Studies?

Well, back in February I had to take three options for year 10, like you should know. And the three options I took were BTEC Media, Food Technology and Drama. Well, I've been an anorexia sufferer for well over a year now, but a few months ago I was cut from going to school as I'm too ill. Hopefully I'm allowed to go back to school after this summer, because I'd really like to get back into the swing of things the same time as everyone else. Anyway, the problem is - I'm regretting choosing Drama. My mom spoke to the school and they know all about my illness, and said to ring up the week before school starts to let them know what my decision on my options will be. I've been thinking to changing the Drama to Media Studies. I know, I'll be doing two lots of Media, but I'm really looking forward to taking that subject. Well, I'm just so confused, I don't know whether to drop Drama or not. I didn't know anyone was taking it, but I've found out several friends of mine are, and it's making me even more confused. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Also, those of you that have taken either Drama, Food Technology and Media - fancy letting me know what they're like as GCSE subjects? I love you for reading that, haha.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Samantha.

Latest Awards:

I did Drama and Short Course Food Tech.
    Drama is easy but it gets boring in year 11 well it might be different at your school but at mine we did all the practical work in year 10 then the written work in year 11 and exam prep. Looking at past exam papers are boring but in the exam, I was allowed to take notes in and depending on your exam board you should be able to aswell which helps you alot. It's a good subject Media sounds good, I didn't do it as GCSE but i'm doing it at A Level. If I was you, i'd do double Media

Food Tech is alot of coursework and do not get behind on it because thats what I did and I fount it so stressful having to catch up! You cook a fait abit as part of your coursework, so if you like doing coursework and cooking then your okay!
    Last edited by Samantha.; 12-08-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Nickiest.

Latest Awards:

I was actually going to take Drama but decided against it because all of the people in that class were from the opposite side of the year to me. I decided I'd take another subject & do Drama classes after school (which never actually happend).
    From what I heard though It was really enjoyable and I regret not taking it.

I also took Food Tech. It is ALOT of coursework, I'd only recommend it if you know you can keep up. The coursework isn't alot of fun but I loved all the pratical lessons.

I also took Media I absolutely loved it and I'm carrying it on in College in September this year. There is quite a bit of work involved but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you should do Drama as it's a bit more variety and it will give you more options in the long run. You might find taking two lots of media can get a bit much.
    Last edited by Nicola; 12-08-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

To be honest media studies is a terrible subject (WJEC)

I'd go with drama, I took both when I was In year 10, I went for all the easy subjects

I ended up getting an A for drama and a C for media studies because I couldn't be bothered
    doing all the coursework

Tokens

Latest Awards:

not surprised ur anorexic when u see the see the state of ur avatar lol, get a big lass in there.

and yeah, i'd say drama.

Tokens

Quote Originally Posted by x.SamLouise View Post
    I did Drama and Short Course Food Tech.
    Drama is easy but it gets boring in year 11 well it might be different at your school but at mine we did all the practical work in year 10 then the written work in year 11 and exam prep. Looking at past exam papers are boring but in the exam, I was allowed to take notes in and depending on your exam board you should be able to aswell which helps you alot. It's a good subject Media sounds good, I didn't do it as GCSE but i'm doing it at A Level. If I was you, i'd do double Media

Food Tech is alot of coursework and do not get behind on it because thats what I did and I fount it so stressful having to catch up! You cook a fait abit as part of your coursework, so if you like doing coursework and cooking then your okay!
    For Drama, what kind of exam was it that you had? Practical or theory? The thing is, I'd be happy taking Drama, I love acting - it's just that anorexia has completely knocked my confidence and socializing skills, so it's going to make it incredibly hard - I think. I don't know though, I'm still so confused haha. Damn, I hate to hear that Food Tech has alot of coursework. Thanks for letting me know though, I think it's good preperation. What kind of practical lessons did you have? Like, could you choose what to make? etc.
    +rep, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNic. View Post
    I was actually going to take Drama but decided against it because all of the people in that class were from the opposite side of the year to me. I decided I'd take another subject & do Drama classes after school (which never actually happend).
    From what I heard though It was really enjoyable and I regret not taking it.

I also took Food Tech. It is ALOT of coursework, I'd only recommend it if you know you can keep up. The coursework isn't alot of fun but I loved all the pratical lessons.

I also took Media I absolutely loved it and I'm carrying it on in College in September this year. There is quite a bit of work involved but if you enjoy it then it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you should do Drama as it's a bit more variety and it will give you more options in the long run. You might find taking two lots of media can get a bit much.
    I've heard Drama's a really good subject to take, too. But like I said above, I'm just worried due to my confidence levels right now. I've heard Media's really good, too. I'm looking forward to taking it as a subject. But, I guess, if it does contain a fair amount of coursework, then maybe double media would be alot to handle - especially if Food Tech has alot of coursework, too. I don't know though, I mean, all subjects will have coursework, so it's probably a lose lose situation?
    +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    To be honest media studies is a terrible subject (WJEC)

I'd go with drama, I took both when I was In year 10, I went for all the easy subjects

I ended up getting an A for drama and a C for media studies because I couldn't be bothered
    doing all the coursework
    I've heard Media's really good, so idk. I'm looking forward to taking it as a subject, to see what it's like, aswell. I've never had it before. I'm just really worried about my confidence levels for Drama, right now. Especially if it involves quite a bit of solo practical work. Does it?
    +rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod View Post
    not surprised ur anorexic when u see the see the state of ur avatar lol, get a big lass in there.

and yeah, i'd say drama.
    lol, it's Taylor Momsen. And idk, it's so confusing.
    thanks though, +rep

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If your not confident with acting stupid infront of others then I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm taking Drama for A level aswel, but I guess I didn't like Media studies because of all the coursework and the 3 1/2 hour exam. It's an easy A* if your willing to put the work in

Tokens

Latest Awards:

i got a G in drama its crap we had loaaads of coursework n teacher sed i cudnt be in play at end of year for gcse grade which is stupid

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I didn't take Media Studies in GCSE only in A-Level, but I did take Multimedia which is a lot of Media Studies and I loved it, loved it at A-Level as well, I did take drama though during years 7-8 and hated it.

I would say that if you really enjoyed Drama you should keep it, but if you're more interested in Media and would feel more fulfilled and happy doing it, I would suggest doing choosing that. I know Drama is a bit like Psychology in the aspect that if you're interested in it, you'll enjoy it and not be bored to death by it, but it you don't it's just a waste of time and energy.
    Last edited by RandomManJay; 12-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Tokens

Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    If your not confident with acting stupid infront of others then I wouldn't really recommend it.

I'm taking Drama for A level aswel, but I guess I didn't like Media studies because of all the coursework and the 3 1/2 hour exam. It's an easy A* if your willing to put the work in
    exactly. i don't think i'd be confident enough, not while i'm in the state i'm in. and i will be for a while to come i'm guessing, it's most definately not a quick-fix illness. i'm sure i'll have this for a few years to come, so i don't think it's the best subject to take whilst i'm like this. although, alot of friends are taking drama, so it's making me more confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieeran View Post
    i got a G in drama its crap we had loaaads of coursework n teacher sed i cudnt be in play at end of year for gcse grade which is stupid
    i didn't know it was even possible to get a G, lol. and it doesn't sound like you enjoyed it at all. i don't know though, i've heard so many good things about it. but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sarcastix. View Post
    I didn't take Media Studies in GCSE only in A-Level, but I did take Multimedia which is a lot of Media Studies and I loved it, loved it at A-Level as well, I did take drama though during years 7-8 and hated it.

I would say that if you really enjoyed Drama you should keep it, but if you're more interested in Media and would feel more fulfilled and happy doing it, I would suggest doing choosing that. I know Drama is a bit like Psychology in the aspect that if you're interested in it, you'll enjoy it and not be bored to death by it, but it you don't it's just a waste of time and energy.
    oh, multimedia sounds good, too. pretty similar i'm guessing. i've heard media's quite easy from my sister's friend, who used to go to the school i go to now, so that's good. and she really enjoyed it, too, and took media as an A-level subject. i'm really looking forward to taking it as a BTEC, and i just think maybe i should take it as another option, too. while i have the illness i have, i simply don't think drama is the right subject to be taking for me.

although, just so you guys know, my mom did ask if i'd be able to do the theory work in drama instead of the practical while i have my illness, but i don't think it'd be the best way to go about the whole subject for a GCSE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast