HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AS-Level Help!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by kk. View Post
    im taking business and economics but that doesnt end in "studies". Yes Business studies at GCSE is a peice of piss but i only know of generasl studies being "black listed" by universities (IE, ignored).
    Referring to your knowledge of "many top universities", you should probably also like to know that many subjects are considered 'undesirable' (like Media Studies, Film Studies, Theatre Studies, etc.) unless they have a direct relevance to the course. Taking traditional academic subjects (for many people) would be far more useful (because the skills required are more difficult).
    SUrprisingly, it goes from one of teh easiest at gcse to one of the hardest at a level for which i can assure you off. Core 1 and 2 and decision amths are far easier for me than business and economics, especially th ebusiness side.
    That tells you that you are stronger at Maths, and weaker at a written subject like Business Studies. Some of the most challenging subjects at A-level are Maths (and Further Maths), the Sciences, and English Literature. I do not deny that Business and Economics have their strengths (in fact they do), but in general they are not as difficult as some more core subjects.
    Next year i plan to study further maths in AS as well as my 3 A2 courses. Mainly due to it looking good on your UCAS application should you go to university. It can also show your willingness if you take a fifth AS to study harder (not only that, it gives you a greater chance of admittance to uni because many top universities want a B at AS in a fourth subject)
    Again, your lack of knowledge of these "top universities" is amusing. All 5 of my offers have specified three grades only, with 4 of these offers being from some of the best universities in the country. I'm studying 4 subjects at A2, but you do not need any more than three A-levels. I would encourage as many AS courses as manageable in first year, but for A2 it's pretty futile as the universities don't have much of an indication as to what you might get in your new AS subject and wouldn't be particularly relevant anyway. Your second year should be spent focusing on the 3 or 4 A-levels you have taken, in my humble opinion. Why? Because it is these that determine whether you will get your university place.
    Last edited by Barmi; 06-05-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Barmi View Post
    Referring to your knowledge of "many top universities", you should probably also like to know that many subjects are considered 'undesirable' (like Media Studies, Film Studies, Theatre Studies, etc.) unless they have a direct relevance to the course. Taking traditional academic subjects (for many people) would be far more useful (because the skills required are more difficult).

That tells you that you are stronger at Maths, and weaker at a written subject like Business Studies. Some of the most challenging subjects at A-level are Maths (and Further Maths), the Sciences, and English Literature. I do not deny that Business and Economics have their strengths (in fact they do), but in general they are not as difficult as some more core subjects.

Again, your lack of knowledge of these "top universities" is amusing. All 5 of my offers have specified three grades only, with 4 of these offers being from some of the best universities in the country. I'm studying 4 subjects at A2, but you do not need any more than three A-levels. I would encourage as many AS courses as manageable in first year, but for A2 it's pretty futile as the universities don't have much of an indication as to what you might get in your new AS subject and wouldn't be particularly relevant anyway. Your second year should be spent focusing on the 3 or 4 A-levels you have taken, in my humble opinion. Why? Because it is these that determine whether you will get your university place.
    Depending on what your taking, im guessing your in a more academic route so id say a science or math course? These probably do not need an AS at B or higher. The course taht i want to study at warwick requires AAB and a B in an AS (and requires Maths). The universities may not know what you will get in this 5th AS but it still shows commitment and they can go use your AS grades as to the rough grade you may get.

All those are 'undesireable' but as i said, the subject that im doing is called businesss and economics, meaning together. No studies in their at all. Thed course requires a lot of knowledge and is a surprisingly big step up from GCSE. You need to remember a lot of things for it which can relate to a lot of things, which in subjects such as maths, its simply find the right answer. I am good at maths but i am equally talented in business and economics so i dont think you can really compare the two

anyway, i agree with you on the accounting front (take further maths or a science because it can keep your options open)

Tokens

Back to Barmis point about Math...

For just AS-Level Maths you need a grade B at higher tier GCSE Maths and you pivk one of these options....

AS-Level Math with Decision
    AS-Level Math with Mechanics
    AS-Level Math with Statistics

Basically it is AS-Level Core Maths with one sub-level

for Further Math you need a grade A at higher tier GCSE Maths...

Tokens

Latest Awards:

normally mechanics and stats are coupled with C3 and C4. You can take stats in further maths so your course is a bit stupid. I wouldnt go for decision, its absolutely the most ridiculous thing i have done this year and requires no/little thinking (youll find it annoying if you are good at maths)

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Back to Barmis point about Math...

For just AS-Level Maths you need a grade B at higher tier GCSE Maths and you pivk one of these options....

AS-Level Math with Decision
    AS-Level Math with Mechanics
    AS-Level Math with Statistics

Basically it is AS-Level Core Maths with one sub-level

for Further Math you need a grade A at higher tier GCSE Maths...
    i got a* in gcse maths and found core 1 really easy because its basically just elaborating on higher topics at gcse + diffrentiation and turning points of curves.

With my college for AS Maths you'll do C1, C2 + D1
    for A2 Maths you'll do C3, C4 + S1 OR M1

and, as i'm doing further maths AS next year (wish i'd taken full a2 in it now) i'm doing accounts/physics/maths A2, + further maths AS, and dropping economics AS.

for further maths AS you'll do FP1, FP2 and D2 or S2 or M2
    and for A2 is FP3 FP4 and D2 or S2 or M2 - i think

if your wanting finance route, i'd recommend
    accounts, maths - you can do a hell of alot of things with it, further maths, and economics...

in all honesty - you won't need business studies to do a degree in finance, as Barmi says

in the top universities it's not about how many ucas points you can get, its the case of getting 3 A's in 3 academic subjects
    Oxbridge, usually allow '1' softer option as an A2 but demand '2' harder options such as sciences or maths or history.

and yes, business studies is seen as a softer subject to be honest. it depends what you want to do at the end of the day in the future, on whether you want to go onto university or into an apprenticeship

all a levels are a big step up from gcse, with some bigger than others - you can't get away without doing any revision at a level.
    Last edited by Soka; 06-05-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
    Muhammad Ali

Tokens

Cheers Soka

I want to do something with Business & Finance and thats why am taking Accounting,Maths,Business and Economics but like you guys have said you don't really need a business studies LOL, i might drop it!

Amit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12