HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    Define "harm"? Define "attempt"? How do you explain accidents or those with mental abnormality?
    Well I think if you throw acid on someones face, the chances are that is attempting to ham or end another persons life.

harm/härm/
    Verb: Physically injure: "the villains didn't harm him".
    Noun: Physical injury, esp. that which is deliberately inflicted.
    t·tempt/əˈtem(p)t/
    Noun: An act of trying to achieve something, typically one that is unsuccessful or not certain to succeed: "an attempt to halt the bombings".
    Verb: Make an effort to achieve or complete (something, typically a difficult task or action): "she attempted a comeback in 1989".
    I didn't think I would need to define those for you, Matt! Would have thought it was quite clear.

The idea behind prison is to punish, and obviously to punish by locking someone away you are 'taking away their previous quality of life'. Do you think it is unfair to lock people up, and therefore removing some of their quality of life?

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

I'm a big death penalty believer here for people who commit homicides, genocides and terrible crimes against humanity. But I don't think this is fair at all here. I think he should be required to give just about all of his savings to her and then serve some time in jail.
    I'm not crazy, ask my toaster.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by HotelUser View Post
    I'm a big death penalty believer here for people who commit homicides, genocides and terrible crimes against humanity. But I don't think this is fair at all here. I think he should be required to give just about all of his savings to her and then serve some time in jail.
    Oh I am not sure on this punishment, but I think that would be a good idea. 'You attempted to harm/end another persons life. EVerything you own is now theirs, now **** off in jail'

Would like to see people commit the crimes again.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Marketing View Post
    Well I think if you throw acid on someones face, the chances are that is attempting to ham or end another persons life.

I didn't think I would need to define those for you, Matt! Would have thought it was quite clear.

The idea behind prison is to punish, and obviously to punish by locking someone away you are 'taking away their previous quality of life'. Do you think it is unfair to lock people up, and therefore removing some of their quality of life?
    That's where we differ then, because I think the idea behind prison is to teach them to not do it again. People don't learn their lesson through punishment. If you've had a deprived, disrupted childhood where you weren't taught the basics of civilisation then it's pretty obvious then they're going to turn out rough in the end. Indeed, a study called the "44 Theives Study" found that the 44 Theives missed the Critical Period in which they could attach to a primary caregiver, whereas the control group (normal members of society) had well-formed relationships with their primary caregiver during the first few years of their life.

You can't assume that they CHOOSE to break the law, and therefore you can't rub salt into the wound by punishing them for it. That is why it's all so ambiguous, and that is why you can't define the words "harm" and "attempt".

Tokens

Latest Awards:

That's where we differ then, because I think the idea behind prison is to teach them to not do it again. People don't learn their lesson through punishment. If you've had a deprived, disrupted childhood where you weren't taught the basics of civilisation then it's pretty obvious then they're going to turn out rough in the end. Indeed, a study called the "44 Theives Study" found that the 44 Theives missed the Critical Period in which they could attach to a primary caregiver, whereas the control group (normal members of society) had well-formed relationships with their primary caregiver during the first few years of their life.

You can't assume that they CHOOSE to break the law, and therefore you can't rub salt into the wound by punishing them for it. That is why it's all so ambiguous, and that is why you can't define the words "harm" and "attempt".
    But prison is punishment?

For example, if I was ever given a detention at school (albeit I only had one by myself) I knew not to do it again.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

But prison is punishment?

For example, if I was ever given a detention at school (albeit I only had one by myself) I knew not to do it again.
    Of course prison is a punishment, but I also think the primary reason for it is to teach the people not to do it again; and therefore you can't accuse law-breakers of doing things off their own back.

I never had a detention wooo.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Of course prison is a punishment, but I also think the primary reason for it is to teach the people not to do it again; and therefore you can't accuse law-breakers of doing things off their own back.

I never had a detention wooo.
    NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF XXXXXXXX :L

I think punishment CAN work, I don't think prisons are used how they should be (in this country) though.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I don't really care. If they wanna go ahead and blind him with acid then WOOOOOO. If someone chopped your fingers off and you had the chance of chopping theirs off would you do it? HELL ******* YES

mmm i like ham

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen! View Post
    I don't really care. If they wanna go ahead and blind him with acid then WOOOOOO. If someone chopped your fingers off and you had the chance of chopping theirs off would you do it? HELL ******* YES

mmm i like ham
    Yes but I'd rather have my sight than to not have a few fingers!
    I'm not crazy, ask my toaster.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Those of sound mind are responsible for their actions and if you do not accept this principle then you do not accept the rule of law as the main three political parties no longer do, instead, they believe in the sociological approach that people commit crime based on race, background and wealth - something that needs to be rejected because it is simply not true.

Now as for this case i'm no supporter of barbaric punishment which you could class as torture, however when you look at what this man would have got in the United Kingdom - I personally find a suspended sentence and a tag more sickening than the judgement Iran have come to concerning a case such as this. A long spell in a harsh prison would have been more suitable because Iran, unlike the UK, has some concept of what punishment is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast