HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    KyoraStryker

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by peteyt View Post
    Thats the problem though - sometimes I may hear a track and like it its like a few months old or something and someone goes thats old now.

Everyone has a different idea of what is old.
    That's because anyone who thinks that lives for today's hottest music. When something new comes out, everything else is "old."

I'm almost certain the thread was created to discuss oldies.

BIG thank you to the graphics department for making this banner. I LOVE IT!

"If Herbal Essences shampoo has all these exotic effects on women, is their hair really the first place they put it?"
    Last +rep: Shar,
    Next posting goal: | 100 | 250 | 500 | 1,000 | 1,500 | 2,500 | 5,000 | 10,000 |

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by KyoraStryker View Post
    That's because anyone who thinks that lives for today's hottest music. When something new comes out, everything else is "old."

I'm almost certain the thread was created to discuss oldies.
    I'm all into new music - and think that radio shows dedicated to new stuff are pretty neat but to say a song is crap because its simply old is stupid.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I'm all into new music - and think that radio shows dedicated to new stuff are pretty neat but to say a song is crap because its simply old is stupid.
    I'm pretty sure you're not into ALL new music

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by samsaBEAR View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're not into ALL new music
    Ha as in im into new music - i like shows dedicated to it - of course I won't like all new music like I don't like all old music.

My point is music should be liked on sound and not age.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

i don't listen to anything pre 1985.
    bores me rigid.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by bethie View Post
    bores me rigid.
    More like pre 2006 is boring. I doubt I have anything on my iPod made before then

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

define new music - cos i hate most rap stuff but i like new stuff coming out from other generes.
    Rap isn't new lol

to say a song is crap because its simply old is stupid.
    True, but no-one's said that. Plenty of us don't enjoy "old music" but that's because it doesn't sound good to us, not simply because it's old. I listen to a fair bit of 70s soul music yet can't stand stuff like Led Zep, The Who, Rolling Stones and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by bethie View Post
    bores me rigid.
    Bon Jovi debut album 1984, I win gotta be 20 man
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Good reply - it just annoys me when people say i like new music not old music - define new music - cos i hate most rap stuff but i like new stuff coming out from other generes.

People should love the sound regardless of the age.
    again, context. you're looking for a solid division on a timeline to make the distinction between new and old but it doesn't work that way. i see where you're coming from but it isnt like we can draw a line and say "okay anything before 1998 is old and anything after is new" because there's so many factors as to how you look at music in the context of time. and sometimes it doesnt have a distinction at all. if you were to ask me if "viva la vida" by coldplay was new or old, id probably say neither.

as for the "people should love sound regardless of age" idea; i agree in principle but it doesnt work that way in practice. although the sound is technically the same through time, how we hear it changes. for example, anyone who says they listen to any sort of guitar-based music from the past 25 years without question listens to at least several bands who were directly or indirectly influenced by the velvet underground. theyre certainly one of - if not the most - influential bands of all time. they virtually single-handedly kicked started the punk movement, which in turn has been incredibly influential in it of itself. i even wrote a 10-page research paper last year about how the album "the velvet underground & nico" is more important and influential than any album the beatles ever put out. now many of the people who listen to music heavily influenced by the velvet underground have never even heard of the velvet underground. moreover, if they were to listen to VU most of them wouldn't like it, even though without VU a lot of the bands they listen to wouldnt even exist. its because even though the velvet underground was groundbreaking in 1967, now they just seem like a building block for other artists to expand on their sound. listening to them now, they're not that outstanding because their sound has been so integrated into modern music that we cant hear what made them so relevant in 1967. unless you're aware of the history of music in the 60's and the context of the time, the velvet underground would probably just sound like boring primitive rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by samsaBEAR View Post
    Oh Sam I love it when you occasionally post, I always have so much fun reading your posts haha
    i miss you too.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by RedStratocas View Post
    i hate to be the doucher to argue but i honestly don't think she's pushed any boundaries at all. image is always progressing through time, really her appearances and performances seem like just a logical extension of what has already been in the spectrum of pop, if that makes sense. i guess i cant really think of another artist that dresses like her per se, but i dont see her image as completely far-fetched from where it was before, and given the fact that every new female pop artist attempts to make themselves a groundbreaking if not concept-driven image, i dont really see what separates her from any other female pop star.

when i think of musicians who have been able to infiltrate and push the boundaries of pop, i think of people like kate bush or david bowie.

so you're telling me these kind of appearances aren't far fetched, and just a 'logical extension' of whats been done before?
    musically however, i agree, nothing brand new. but on that i think her new album will surprise a lot of people.

image wise, let me take rihanna for example, another female pop singer who has been around for a few years more than gaga. this is her circa 2006:

then she kind of disappeared from 2007-09, in which time gaga emerged, and now these are some pictures of her after her first album since gaga came out

shes stepped up her image since the time gaga came out. completely changed everything, more elaborate image and performance, which is why i firmly believe that lady gaga is raising the bar for female pop singers today to be more expressive and creative with their performances and outfits, whereas before it would be the norm to just step out in a t shirt and jeans or some boring dress. what im trying to say is that yes now they are all trying to be groundbreaking 'concept driven' artists. but why? because of her. you may disagree but i think were in a new era of pop star now. not saying it was solely down to her but she definitely has had a major part in it. and it annoys me when people say that shes nothing new and not original etc, but any four piece band with dudes with guitars that bring nothing new at all to music but have a good album are fine. its just this common misconception that pop is low brow and everything has to be new and exciting. ftr, i think lady gaga is new and exciting anyway. hence the impact shes made.

and of course you would say people like david bowie and kate bush would be influential and ground breaking in pop music, but thats because theres been decades for people to break through in the industry that have been influenced by those artists. the people that grow up listening to lady gaga etc now are going to be the ones that are the musicians in the next 10 20 years, and then the pop stars of today will join the ranks of those legendary kind of artists... pretty sure it must have been the same in the "old days" as well. what im trying to say is that modern day singers will one day become OLD MUSIC, like youre talking about here.

[/essay]
    Last edited by Judas; 13-10-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    you can be my daddy

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I don't mind old music, as long as it isn't really old school e.g. pre-1980. Anything before that - bores me!
    Jordan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast