HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Uni Freshers!

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquidLuck.

Latest Awards:

I seriously believed this was a joke.. that's so nerdy, omg.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Marketing View Post
    It is still far cheaper than the £45,000-£50,000 that my degree is going to cost though!

I will be going for a British Uni probably, although I haven't ruled out going abroad.
    It's only cheaper if you have parents who can afford to pay for your living costs. You won't be entitled to any grants.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post
    It's only cheaper if you have parents who can afford to pay for your living costs. You won't be entitled to any grants.
    Heh, or have my own bank account...

That post makes no sense, whether you get loans or pay up front, it is STILL cheaper.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I JUST PACKED UP MY TRUCK HEADIN TO CANADA FOR FRESHERS WEEEK!!!!!!!!!
    I'm at a point in my life where I don't care if you like me or you don't. If you like me, cool. If you don't, meh.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Heh, or have my own bank account...

That post makes no sense, whether you get loans or pay up front, it is STILL cheaper.
    It makes perfect sense, you just didn't understand it - there's a huge difference.

What on Earth does having your own bank account have to do with this? You won't be able to take out a student loan because you will be studying abroad, nor will you receive any grants or help with living costs. So how are you going to pay for the fees or buy food, clothes, or pay for accommodation etc etc? You would either have to get a job (and there's almost zero chance of that happening with the Irish economy the way it is), or your parents would have to pay for you.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It makes perfect sense, you just didn't understand it - there's a huge difference.

What on Earth does having your own bank account have to do with this? You won't be able to take out a student loan because you will be studying abroad, nor will you receive any grants or help with living costs. So how are you going to pay for the fees or buy food, clothes, or pay for accommodation etc etc? You would either have to get a job (and there's almost zero chance of that happening with the Irish economy the way it is), or your parents would have to pay for you.
    Was pointing out I don't have to rely on mummy and daddy xox

The fact remains it is cheaper to study in Ireland than it is to in the UK. I don't see how anyone can possibly argue it. (I should point out Uni fees are not my biggest concern, baring in mind I did seriously consider going over to the USA to study.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Was pointing out I don't have to rely on mummy and daddy xox

The fact remains it is cheaper to study in Ireland than it is to in the UK. I don't see how anyone can possibly argue it. (I should point out Uni fees are not my biggest concern, baring in mind I did seriously consider going over to the USA to study.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Actually the US would in general be cheaper than Ireland. Whilst university fees in America are awfully high, the better universities and colleges have large endowments and offer very generous scholarships, a large majority of students do not pay anything like the full-fee and many pay nothing at all. There is NO financial help for British students in Ireland, unless you have at least £30,000 in your bank account then Ireland is certainly not a realistic option for British students even if the fees are technically cheaper.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Actually the US would in general be cheaper than Ireland. Whilst university fees in America are awfully high, the better universities and colleges have large endowments and offer very generous scholarships, a large majority of students do not pay anything like the full-fee and many pay nothing at all. There is NO financial help for British students in Ireland, unless you have at least £30,000 in your bank account then Ireland is certainly not a realistic option for British students even if the fees are technically cheaper.
    Then add on the cost of flights to America, obviously the cost of living, and the $25,000 I would have to pay a year... (according to Harvard).

Not come and tell me the USA would be cheaper o.O

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Then add on the cost of flights to America, obviously the cost of living, and the $25,000 I would have to pay a year... (according to Harvard).

Not come and tell me the USA would be cheaper o.O
    You seem to be missing the point. You said Ireland is a cheaper alternative for British students, and it is if you have the money in your bank account... but most people will not have £30,000 in savings so in practice the UK is still more affordable because you take out a student loan.

I'm not sure why you're now talking about the US... Harvard is a need-blind university, that means they do not know whether you can afford to pay their fees when you apply. If you get in they will then assess your ability to pay (based on household income, family assets etc) - a student from a normal working class British family will certainly pay less than 1/4 of the fees, perhaps nothing at all. I spoke to a girl from Newcastle who got into Yale a few years ago, her scholarship covered all her fees, living expenses and included plane tickets home every year. Personally I dislike the American system because it means only the very well off and the poor can attend their best universities. By the way Harvard and all other 'Ivy League' institutions do not come close to matching Oxbridge for an undergraduate education.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

You seem to be missing the point. You said Ireland is a cheaper alternative for British students, and it is if you have the money in your bank account... but most people will not have £30,000 in savings so in practice the UK is still more affordable because you take out a student loan.

I'm not sure why you're now talking about the US... Harvard is a need-blind university, that means they do not know whether you can afford to pay their fees when you apply. If you get in they will then assess your ability to pay (based on household income, family assets etc) - a student from a normal working class British family will certainly pay less than 1/4 of the fees, perhaps nothing at all. I spoke to a girl from Newcastle who got into Yale a few years ago, her scholarship covered all her fees, living expenses and included plane tickets home every year. Personally I dislike the American system because it means only the very well off and the poor can attend their best universities. By the way Harvard and all other 'Ivy League' institutions do not come close to matching Oxbridge for an undergraduate education.
    But it is cheaper.. even with a loan (and you can still find loans that are fairly reasonable if you study abroad) it would be cheaper. The USA is not "free" for me, as I am not "poor working class", meaning it would definitely be more expensive that the UK and Ireland.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast