HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    hungryfront

Latest Awards:

Default Bus Passes for Under 25s part of Labour's Plan

This has pros and cons. Biggest pros are it cuts down on congestion, pressures bus service providers to create new services which benefit everyone, help young people get better jobs as they can access jobs further away, could cut down on young drivers making roads safer, and it reduces pollution as less young people will be using cars. The "living wage" comes in at 25, so to me it makes sense that people under that age shouldn't have to pay for services that should be public (that's another conversation).

The biggest problem is, you guessed it, money.

Thoughts?
    just here to be political considering there's been a pretty one-sided viewpoint on here for a couple of years x

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Labour just doing what it always does, buying votes with other peoples money.

What could go wrong?

Like ajs406 Liked

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If they want to cut down on congestion and get more people using public transport, bus passes should be available to everyone.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

24% of the population are between 5 and 25, that's an insane number of people to give free unlimited travel to in a country that already flings away over a billion a year on age-related bus passes. The problem with all of these bright "give young'ns everything for free!" plans is the very simple fact that stuff costs money. There would also be the massive cost of increasing the number of buses, drivers, and anti-congestion routes across the UK, then ongoing training and admin and and and and and and, all so that kids can get to their tinder dates easier
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shortages

Latest Awards:

How many young people ride buses nowadays? I mean, in my lifetime I've probably been on a bus to the number of fingers I have on both hands. Whenever I was commuting for work, I've either been driving or on a train (now they are **** expensive - I was paying 4k a year just to get to work to earn the money to pay the fare!)

Also, I don't believe it's so much the younger people that are a danger on the road. Sure, you get the occasional boy racer and such - but oh my bloody God. I have seen so many older folk who don't even look before they pull out, can barely see, have heart attacks behind the wheel etc. etc. (ofc not all old people are prone to heart attacks, and heart attacks are not limited to the elderly), but there are so many older people who I have spoken to who have said 'Oh, I'd have no chance in passing a driving test now!' But that's a whole other debate.

bella ciao

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    How many young people ride buses nowadays? I mean, in my lifetime I've probably been on a bus to the number of fingers I have on both hands. Whenever I was commuting for work, I've either been driving or on a train (now they are **** expensive - I was paying 4k a year just to get to work to earn the money to pay the fare!)

Also, I don't believe it's so much the younger people that are a danger on the road. Sure, you get the occasional boy racer and such - but oh my bloody God. I have seen so many older folk who don't even look before they pull out, can barely see, have heart attacks behind the wheel etc. etc. (ofc not all old people are prone to heart attacks, and heart attacks are not limited to the elderly), but there are so many older people who I have spoken to who have said 'Oh, I'd have no chance in passing a driving test now!' But that's a whole other debate.
    loads of people use the bus tbh. way more than use the train. funny how there's a subsidy on the trains for the largely wealthy commuters into london, but people in old mill towns/north dont get a penny of subsidy on their buses.
    goodbye.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shortages

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by alexxxxx View Post
    loads of people use the bus tbh. way more than use the train. funny how there's a subsidy on the trains for the largely wealthy commuters into london, but people in old mill towns/north dont get a penny of subsidy on their buses.
    I didn't get a subsidy - nor anyone I worked with in a large company. Nor any company I have worked for. I also have not met anyone that gets any form of subsidy for their travel in that matter.

The best you were lucky to get was a loan to pay for a year fare (because let's face it, no ordinary working person is going to spare 4-6k (if not more) from one pay day), and you had to pay every penny of that back from your wages. I got nothing for my monthly tickets.

bella ciao

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I didn't get a subsidy - nor anyone I worked with in a large company. Nor any company I have worked for. I also have not met anyone that gets any form of subsidy for their travel in that matter.

The best you were lucky to get was a loan to pay for a year fare (because let's face it, no ordinary working person is going to spare 4-6k (if not more) from one pay day), and you had to pay every penny of that back from your wages. I got nothing for my monthly tickets.
    the government subsidise the service - your season ticket was subsidised by the government (well its a bit more complicated than that but yeah it most likely was). bus companies have to make a profit whilst rail companies get given cash. i was paying £15/day on train fares at one point to/from work too
    goodbye.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shortages

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by alexxxxx View Post
    the government subsidise the service - your season ticket was subsidised by the government (well its a bit more complicated than that but yeah it most likely was). bus companies have to make a profit whilst rail companies get given cash. i was paying £15/day on train fares at one point to/from work too
    How can they need MORE cash - fares are extortionate and they've already got to be making a profit - their service definitely isn't improving that's for sure!

bella ciao

Tokens

Latest Awards:

How can they need MORE cash - fares are extortionate and they've already got to be making a profit - their service definitely isn't improving that's for sure!
    i know people who work in management for the train companies and tbh running a train service costs a lot more money than you'd think. buying, maintaining the trains and track is pricey af.
    goodbye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast