HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    ThomasLaws

Latest Awards:

Default Should students grade teachers?

Here's another debate if the first one wasn't your cup of tea.

Should students be allowed to grade teachers?

It seems like a dream come true for many students to write anonymous grades about their teachers for them to see. However, would it really result in a change? How could employers ensure the results are listened to?

When I first thought about this debate I figured it would be a great service for the education system. However, I'm starting to believe a system like this may become ineffective quickly and even if it does stick around may even offend teachers. These teachers are most likely passionate about their subject and attended university in that subject (Not all teachers are passionate about their subject unfortunately) Plus teachers are already observed and test scores already reflect on their academic impact. So how helpful would a students opinion be? Would an age range on the grading be needed due to immature students?

So what do you think? Would a student to teacher grading system work?

Feel free to fight against my opinion, I love a good ol' debate.
    Just a kid drowning in A levels.

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

Grade no but feedback yes!!! In any job I believe you should get feedback from the people you work most closely with. In schools and colleges thats the kids!

Those feedback sheets (the serious ones anyway) could be incorporated into annual appraisals where the teacher sets goals based on that feedback and their performance is measured against that. That's how it's (supposed to) work where I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Neptupid Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Not a fan of the idea myself, it would basically encourage teachers to be lenient and "cool" rather than good at their jobs. Let's be honest, most kids are idiots and think the idea of ruining someone's life just for being a person of authority is a real hoot

I believe there are rating systems (albeit unofficial) for university professors but obviously by that stage people tend to be a bit more understanding about how the world works... a bit

Oh RIP didn't see that this was a copy thread
    Last edited by FlyingJesus; 07-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +
    Like Neptupid Liked

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Yeah feedback is good and like Laura said it would be good for annual appraisals. We do a similar thing where I work, in a totally different sector and it works wonderfully.

I think that the idea of 'grading' teachers would be a novelty to start off with a few taking it seriously but I imagine the majority wouldn't. Students would use any minor indiscretion against the teachers, which could end up having a profound impact on their career all because of that time in year 7 when they shouted at you. They're there to do their job and in most instances wouldn't be there if they were incapable of doing their job.

I could see it causing all manner of issues, imagine a grade C teacher trying to teach grade A students

Like Neptupid Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    cammiee.

I think giving feedback is good, and let's the teachers know what they need to improve on. As mentioned, I don't think grading is the best because this won't help teachers in any way, apart from disvalue them and make them feel like they're not doing a good enough job.
    Like Neptupid Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Despect

Latest Awards:

Like others have said feedback is good and I think from my experience quite a few teachers would benefit a lot from it!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jarkie

Latest Awards:

In concept it sounds great, in reality not so great.

Knowing students, should the professor give them a mark they do not wish they will get revenge and mark them down. I see this all the time when I have to review lecture feedback. Keeping it simple by allowing students to feedback on the teachings is the best way to help develop the learning requirements of said course.

-:Undertaker:- is online now Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Absolutely not. The classroom is not a democracy nor should it be.

The very fact CHILDREN are being asked to 'grade' their teacher goes to show how far respect for authority in schools has collapsed. The class results in examinations and marking in books will do the grading needed to assess teachers, not a popularity contest.

Tokens
    Habbo
    KrushGear

Latest Awards:

I don't think students will be able to give objective grades to teachers, simply because teachers aren't here to make friends! It would be a very flawed system if students are allowed to grade teachers because not every teacher appeals or works for every student, and for that may become "bad" in certain students' books when they are really not, & sometimes the "best" teachers aren't exactly the most popular.

Feedback is great but considering the many years of education I've been through (and the many "feedback" I've given!), generally it's done in quite a slipshod way and/or taken with a grain of salt as not many teachers really take that seriously as an avenue for improvement, at least from what I've seen/know of. It really is such a convoluted system and its effectiveness is ultimately up to the school to decide how much they want to enforce it

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Absolutely not. The classroom is not a democracy nor should it be.

The very fact CHILDREN are being asked to 'grade' their teacher goes to show how far respect for authority in schools has collapsed. The class results in examinations and marking in books will do the grading needed to assess teachers, not a popularity contest.
    Im late to this. To be honest dont really visit here anymore. I get the whole respect part and i can imagine most children would leave childish feedback. However in university definitely. I had some bad lecturers at uni one even got fired i believe. If your paying and not getting your moneys worth then really there should be a system allowing you to give feedback/complain.

Hell even in school we had bad teachers. Ours was a technology college yet that was a joke as all the other schools where more up to date. I was/am interested in it but school/six form put me off it as all we did was design. I spent a lot of time teaching my it teacher

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast