HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Default Should we be testing welfare recipients for drugs

Simple question.

I think we should. I don't think it's fair to make taxpayers contribute towards the select ones that do drugs. I know that welfare is around to help people. So since I pay taxes, I want to be sure that my small amount goes towards good causes and actually helps people out. Not to help them buy drugs.

Lemme know. Definitely don't like the abuse of the system that some people think is okay.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zitrone

Latest Awards:

Nope because the % of welfare recipients actually on drugs is probably very small and innocent people in need of financial aid for basic living standards shouldnt have to go through that humiliating process! And then what if they are found to be spending it on drugs... they get nothing?

Should we drug test students receiving financial aid? Lots of my friends and students at uni waste their student grants and loans on getting drunk every other day and buying weed

Perhaps better systems in place so that those found to be wasting money away on drugs have their benefits reduced!
    Last edited by lemons; 20-04-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    Like RuthOnToast Liked

Country
    England
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Ruth-On-Toast

Latest Awards:

wait are you just accusing us of all being druggies? and image the cost of doing all these tests?
    Like lemons Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

The cost of doing that would be far more than the benefit payments themselves especially considering admin of it all and working out how it would apply to people on very short term benefits (for example you could be written off work for just a couple of days, would you make people in that situation do a drug test?) and really wouldn't do much to help. If someone's cheating the system for drug money then they're already a criminal, so stopping their payments will just drive them into harder crime
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    And then what if they are found to be spending it on drugs... they get nothing?
    Yeah, either follow the rules or don't get the people's help is what I think tbh.

Should we drug test students receiving financial aid?

Perhaps better systems in place so that those found to be wasting money away on drugs have their benefits reduced!
    Not sure about the first sentence but it is a very good point. But yeah, I'd be willing to have a compromise with the second sentence instead of completely cutting someone off. But yes, severe reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthOnToast View Post
    wait are you just accusing us of all being druggies? and image the cost of doing all these tests?
    Testing someone for something isn't the same as accusing. Just like court.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    for example you could be written off work for just a couple of days, would you make people in that situation do a drug test?
    No, if you have good reasoning and tell the gov. that you promise to be off, then you don't. But if you are using welfare as a career then you need a test.

The cost of doing that would be far more than the benefit payments themselves
    Perhaps it could be a state issue? So for instance if the state wants to do it then they could use their own budgets. (Only applies to US regarding states but you get the point)

Country
    England
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Ruth-On-Toast

Latest Awards:

If your not accusing people then why test them? or what about instead of punishing them maybe give them help?
    Like lemons Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zitrone

Latest Awards:

Ultimately even if you severely reduce instead of completely cutting off benefits it will just cause poverty to increase = crime, homelessness, inequality, etc. which nobody likes to see. More should be spent on drug addiction programmes!

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

No, it's a waste of money and everyone enjoys a bit of ganja here and there.

Don't know why (I guess illegal only?) drugs are really singled out anyway. Why not alcohol? Should we just ban luxuries in general?

EDIT: Also would like to add, even if someone is buying heroin because they're an addict, they will find the money with or without state aid.
    Last edited by dbgtz; 20-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by RuthOnToast View Post
    If your not accusing people then why test them? or what about instead of punishing them maybe give them help?
    That's not how that would work. It's like stopping at a DUI checkpoint. You are not being stopped because you are under the influence. You're being stopped lawfully by the cops under a law. You're not assumed to have drank any beer. Rather, they are checking to be sure. You chose to be on the road. You are subject to moderation. Just like welfare - if you choose to receive taxpayer assistance then you best be spending the money correctly.

Yes, I think you should be either offered to go to rehab or don't at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    No, it's a waste of money and everyone enjoys a bit of ganja here and there.
    Haha I don't deny that but taxpayers don't like to spend money on other people's drugs, yes?

Don't know why (I guess illegal only?) drugs are really singled out anyway. Why not alcohol? Should we just ban luxuries in general?

EDIT: Also would like to add, even if someone is buying heroin because they're an addict, they will find the money with or without state aid.
    It's because the companies are too powerful. Too much money for the government. I know where you're coming from.

And yes, I do agree with your edit completely.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

For someone supposedly conservative you're asking for a lottttttt of state intervention here
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast