HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Macedonia to change its name after deal reached with Greece

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44401643

Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to become the Republic of North Macedonia

27-year naming dispute with Greece comes to an end after both sides agree name change

Protests over the naming dispute have been held over the years in both Macedonia (left) and Greece (right).

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Greece has reached a deal on the name of its northern neighbour, which called itself the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia at the break-up of the former Yugoslavia.

After 27 years of talks - and many protests - they have settled on the name Republic of North Macedonia, or Severna Makedonija in Macedonian.

Greece had objected to the name Macedonia, fearing territorial claims on its eponymous northern region.

It had vetoed the neighbour's bid to join Nato and the European Union over the issue.

The new name will now need to be approved by the Macedonian people and Greek parliament.
    27 years to decide that... lego_party

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I always associated Macedonia (the country) with Alexander the Great so I'm glad that it has changed.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I always associated Macedonia (the country) with Alexander the Great so I'm glad that it has changed.
    He was actually born in Pella, which was the capital of Macedonia at the time but is in what's now Greece that's most of the reason for this taking so long to happen, the Greeks are (somewhat ironically) worried about their states being taken over by expanding neighbours cough cough

NO MORE FYRM AT EUROVISION
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    He was actually born in Pella, which was the capital of Macedonia at the time but is in what's now Greece that's most of the reason for this taking so long to happen, the Greeks are (somewhat ironically) worried about their states being taken over by expanding neighbours cough cough

NO MORE FYRM AT EUROVISION
    Yeah I knew he was born in Pella. When did Greece acquire the region that was once a part of the Kingdom of Macedon then? I somewhat naively thought that Pella was in the region of Macedon which was a part of Ancient Greece. I'm not even sure when the concept of "countries" as we know them today were conceived

Any insight would be fab!
    Last edited by Zak; 13-06-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Ancient Macedonia was farrrrrrrrrrrr larger than the modern country, so lots of northern Greece (including Pella) and pretty much all of Albania was part of it - then of course the entirety of Greece and Thrace when Phillip and Alexander decided to conquer the world kinda rude of them but that's what kings did I guess. The area as it is NOW is totally different in terms of borders because of the Ottoman Empire which pretty much claimed that everything they owned was just Turkey, and then after various wars of independence and losing WWI that all disbanded and shit got carved up. The country now known as Macedonia is just a blob in the middle really, half of it in old Macedonia and half in what used to be Thrace
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +
    Like Zak Liked