HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW VIRUS!!!

Tokens

Default NEW VIRUS!!!

PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!
    >
    > A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft
    > as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon
    > by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk,
    > where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in
    > the following manner:
    > It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:
    > "You've received a Post Card from a Family member".
    >
    > As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that
    > the user has to reboot. When the ctrl + alt + del keys or the reset
    > button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently
    > destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused
    > p anic in New York , according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was
    > received by an employee of Microsoft itself.
    >
    >
    > So don't open any mails with subject: "A Post Card from " As soon as you
    > get the mail, delete it !! Even if you know the sender !!!
    >
    > Please pass this mail to all of your friends.
    >
    > Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like
    > myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at all.

(This is on Discuss Anything Because This Is A Popular Subject)

Thanks,

MadFrankie2007
    PLACE DIGNITY HERE.

Wheres this artical by Microsoft saying its the most destructive virus ever?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

its impossible to destroy the hard disk without causing physical damage to it.
    Mario

Tokens

Latest Awards:

lol no.

Edited by Wizzdom (Forum Moderator) - Please do not post pointlessly
    Last edited by Wizzdom; 01-11-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

This is old and fake. Read:

Quote Originally Posted by http://virusbusters.itcs.umich.edu//hoaxes/virtual.html
    Last significant update: 24 February 2001

This information can be freely reproduced in any medium, as long as the information is unmodified.

Thanks to [email protected] for first bringing this hoax to our attention on 7 January, 2001.

Another stupid scare-type hoax. Note that there are plenty of appeals to supposed authority, but nothing solid: no exact URLs; no dates; no contact points. Typical boring hoax fare. Here is the text and commentary on it:

Subject: A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft ( www.microsoft.com)

As if Microsoft were qualified to make such classifications

and by McAfee (www.mcafee.com) as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.

Would any antivirus company warn about a threat if they didn't have a cure? Not too likely; the marketroids would never hear of it.

Also, note the indefinite time "yesterday": this is an attempt to keep the hoax alive. After all, if it said "1 January 2001" and you saw it today, you;d say "Hmmm; I never heard about that back then; this must be a hoax." And you'd be absolutely correct.

This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk,

Software cannot "destroy" anything -- though it can delete data, of course. Moreover, if "Sector Zero" were overwritten, a good data recovery expert could get back all the data, in most cases.

where vital information for its functioning are stored.

The one crumb of truth to try to sell the hoax... it is true that the DOS Boot Record, which lives in logical sector 0, does have important information.

This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Virtual Card for You". As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk.

The only way to "permanently destroy the hard disk" is to do physical damage to it. Melt it, zap it with a magnet or too much electricity, thwack it with a hammer....

All this is moot, of course, since no such malware exists.

Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN (www.cnn.com).

Ho hum. I love it when hoaxters debunk their own work by pointing to web sites that do not confirm their claims.... See for yourself by searching for "Virtual card" on CNN's web site (leaving our site).

I'll wait.

So, find anything?

No? Astonishing!

I could rest my case now, but let's soldier on:

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.

... and everyone else in the world, it seems. ;-) [We've seen copies of this that have been forwarded many many times.]

So don't open any mails with subject "A Virtual Card for You". As soon as you get the mail, delete it.

Instead, it would be a lot more helpful to say:

NEVER ACCEPT UNSOLICITED ATTACHMENTS -- not even from those you know and trust.

2. Get top quality antivirus software, install it, and USE it.

3. Keep said software updated, preferably at least once a week.

4. Avoid crappy emailers that allow active content, like the Microsoft Outlook variants. Otherwise, you WILL get bitten by junk like this.

But since when did we expect hoaxters to be helpful? Feh!

Please pass on this mail to all your friends.

The killing blow: EVERY time it says this, it is unworthy of the request. Period.

Please do not forward this -- or any other hoax -- to all your friends.

Instead, you should reply to the sender -- and as far back up the email chain as you have energy -- informing the originators that this is a hoax. For this particular hoax, I suggest that you provide a pointer to this URL (http://www.umich.edu/~virus-busters/hoaxes/virtual.html)

If you'd like an alternate opinion, see e.g., Martin Overton's Hoax FAQ (leaving our site) on this particular piece of silliness.

For virus or hoax info, please see our main page (http://www.umich.edu/~virus-busters/) or go to another reputable site, like The Urban Legends Reference Pages (leaving our site).

-BPB

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It's a hoax; http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...&virus_k=98893 and yeh pretty old, December 2003 .

Matt lurvs Jay

Tokens

To quote Sophos.com :

"Many virus hoaxes:

* falsely claim to describe an extremely dangerous virus
    * use pseudo-technical language to make impressive-sounding (but impossible) claims
    * falsely claim that the report was issued or confirmed by a well-known company
    * ask you to forward it to all your friends and colleagues

As usual, you are urged not to pass on warnings of this kind, as the continued re-forwarding of these hoaxes simply wastes time and email bandwidth."

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Phew. I was getting worried then, lol.

WarezKid Guest

I dont care about viruses lol, always backing my pc every week :S

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jamesy...

Latest Awards:

Pfft if I wanted to send chain mail I would be a stupid idiot.
    Ex-janitor. Might pop in from time to time, otherwise you can grab all my information from http://jamesy.me.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast