HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

Default [+REP] Laptop Help Needed

Hey everyone. Basically, I'm studying computer science at university at the moment and I've been able to complete my work thus far, however it's now got to the point where the programs I'll be needed aren't on OSx, and neither are the alternatives any good, so I've got to the point where I'll need to get a Windows laptop.

Or would you recommend me using Windows Parallel but please keep in mind I have a Macbook Air (not this edition, the last one) so not the biggest of hard drives.

If you think a laptop would be good, I need it to basically be cheap enough for a student, I don't want to game on it or anything I just need to be able to program and to hold a decent amount of software. I really don't want to break the bank so anything up to £400 would be fab. Thanks!

Will give rep for all recommendations thank you!!!!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Wennn.

Latest Awards:

Which programs are you required to use? Just wondering as I've gone through 5 years of software engineering with my Mac fine!

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Which programs are you required to use? Just wondering as I've gone through 5 years of software engineering with my Mac fine!
    Oh god this is probably where I realise I'm being pedantic. Basically we're moving onto C++ programming and we'll be working on the Visual Studio environment, but the basic one that is for Mac doesn't feature the stuff I'll need (apparently). Also, xCode is recommended heavily but I'd rather use the same software so I get used to it. We'll also be working with Microsoft Project, CMaps, WinA&D and Oracle SQL.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Wennn.

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Oh god this is probably where I realise I'm being pedantic. Basically we're moving onto C++ programming and we'll be working on the Visual Studio environment, but the basic one that is for Mac doesn't feature the stuff I'll need (apparently). Also, xCode is recommended heavily but I'd rather use the same software so I get used to it. We'll also be working with Microsoft Project, CMaps, WinA&D and Oracle SQL.
    Ahh I see! Yeah I use Xcode a lot but most of the time it's just a simple code editor for me.

I've had to use Visual Studio for a 3D computer graphics subject before and I did it by using VirtualBox (kind of like Windows Parallel) and it was slow af!! I wouldn't recommend that at all especially as you have a MacBook Air (I had a Pro). A decent alternative to Microsoft Project is Omniplan but that's really expensive so that's a no go I think your best bet is to get a new Windows computer.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Prosiary

Latest Awards:

Not sure what reqiurements you want in a laptop (processor etc) but this seems good: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...37880-pdt.html

obviously check it'll run the stuff fine before buying it hahah

liam //

www.habbox.com/jobs

Tokens
    Habbo
    ha2thesad

Hiya!

For your criteria, I reccomend http://goo.gl/bdOUlz as it has 2 tb of storage, runs Windows 10 and has a HDMI port, which may be useful for presentations etc. The battery live is up to 7.5 hours, so it is good on the go without carrying the charger. It is a red laptop, and comes with Microsoft office trial. Hope you find this useful! Let me know if you need anything to do with this subject or computers in particular.