HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Eoin247

Latest Awards:

Default Should we worry about the future of robotics? [ENDS: 29/06/11]

Should we worry about the future of robotics?

Recently in Shanghai, scientists attending a high-level conference on robotics agreed that great progress has been made in the field. However they also said that strict rules for the safe usage of robots should be implemented.

These scientists said that in the future, it might not be possible for artificial intelligence to take the place of humans in some social roles. However, they also said that mankind should pay close attention to the possible dangers of advancements in robotics, as the industry is currently undergoing dramatic changes.

We've all heard about the science fiction rules of robotics (Never harm a human etc.). Even now some countries like South Korea have alread introduced rules for robotics and scientists are encouraging more governments to do the same.

The main concern (Apart from AI) is of course jobs. What will humans do to earn money when robots do all of the middle-lower class jobs such as teaching, building, cleaning etc.

Here are some pros and cons of robotics:

Pros:

Robots can make industry faster and more efficient for products and services. They also don't make as many errors as humans.

You don't have to pay salaries to robots.

Can potentially improve our quality of life.

Cons:

For every robot employed, many human jobs are lost. Every day, robots are able to do more and more jobs that used to only be doable by humans.

Me may end up relying too much on robotics. What happends if something fundamental breaks down.

Could they potentially get too intelligent for our own good (AI)?

So what do you think? Do we have anything to worry about the future of robotics? Also what exactly is in store for us with regards to robotics in the future? Does robotics in the future

Debate!

This debate will end on the 22/06/11. After this the thread will be closed and a top contributer will be chosen and awarded with a month of VIP in a colour of their choice.
    Last edited by Eoin247; 08-06-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Bonjour, la noirceur, mon vieil ami
    Je suis venu te reparler
    Car une vision piétinante doucement
    A laissé ses graines lorsque je dormais
    Et la vision
    Qui était plantée dans mon cerveau
    Demeure toujours
    Parmi le son du silence

Tokens
    Habbo
    Andii

Latest Awards:

i think we really should be. Robots are taking away the simple jobs. yea they may be faster but still it means there is less n less jobs available if robots get any more complex then i think that the end of the job industry will be hit big time as many of the big companies may expand with using them.

NEXT THING YE NO MCDONALDS WILL HAVE THEM food poision here we come

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Of course we shouldn't. Nothing will ever beat the human mind because nothing will ever be able to think for itself. The human mind is unique with a intricate, special system. I think we should be encouraging robotics to make our lives easier, but there will never be a point where they take over. If they take over our world, then humans can quite easily destroy them..

Tokens
    Habbo
    Mr-Trainor

Latest Awards:

Worrying about the future of robotics is certainly an interesting topic. There are reasons why many people may worry about them in terms of taking away human jobs and it is true to an extent but there are many jobs which I doubt robots will ever take over any time soon. For example, I don't think you'd begin to be served by robots in mcdonalds, as Andy suggested .

As Matt mentioned, robots can not think for themselves and can not beat the human mind; they do not have a human brain. Robots may be able to take over jobs, but I don't think they'll ever take over humans! Particularly if the government introduces rules for robots.

Not online very often

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Robots cannot work in a capitalist world, they take the space of people and those people need something to do to keep themselves occupied. If money wasn't as important as it is, robots could take over quite happily. Also, don't robots need to be programmed to harm humans if that ever happened? Having robots that have the ability to kill is a bad idea.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Warbringer

I understand where people come from when they state that 'It could take human jobs'. As mentioned in above posts, they do not have the human mind, they can not make decisions and think for theirselves. We are much more clever than robots as we can make decisions and think things through before taking action.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

From what I see, we should be worried about the future of robotics. This is an era of globalization which people in this world competes and wants to improve themselves. However, I think they are taking it to a very over-the-top level by judging on the future of robotics. First, if robots begin to take over human jobs, we might lose our jobs and this will make us harder to find jobs as job opportunities are less. Second, they cannot think for they don't have a brain like ours. However, humans programmed them to do things or whatever they want. Robots might not be like those in Terminator series but humans can program them to do things that they want. The next thing you might see is some politicians or leaders killed by robots. It's not impossible, right? Third, we must worry about the future of robotics because for your information, Japan has already planned medical robots performing low-invasive surgery. From that, you can imagine how developed robots can be although Japan doesn't have any medical robots YET. If it's in their plans, then it's not impossible for Japan to achieve it. At some point, even doctors or surgeons cannot find jobs since we have medical robots. Can you imagine how hard can life be at that time? However smart or hardworking we are, we still can't deny the fact that robots can do things beyond our imagination because it's humans who programmed them.

Tokens
    Habbo
    -Danube-

Latest Awards:

Working in retail myself, i can say that we SHOULD worry about robotics in the future. I mean it's already happening, computers are basically robots. The biggest threat to people working in retail is self service tills, it'll get to a point where there will only be self service tills in a super market. Which will be a huge loss of jobs as there is a large percentage of the country working in supermarkets, food outlets or retail. I feel so strongly about it, that i do not use self service tills for that reason. I'd rather go to a manned till and allow someone to keep their job.

Robots on the other hand, maybe good for artificial limbs and maybe even in the future, artificial organs. The only plus side i can see with robots is simply medical. Maybe they could develop nano robots that surgeons could control within the body, the patient could swallow these 'Nanobots' in a pill and then the surgeon can navigate around the body to the site where they need to operate. They would greatly decrease the amount of infection when undergoing surgery. I mean yes they have key hole surgery now, but thats still making an cut in your body, which means it can be infected.
    I've left. I'm back.
    ~Dan

Tokens
    Habbo
    Andii

Latest Awards:

Tbh people who say robots don't have a human mind. With the way modern technology is working you never know what they might have. They could be much smarter than the human mind and also gain intelligence from us its something we really should think about. Since we may be alive (if 2012 dnt happen lol) when it all takes place.

Robots also can be used to cause wars since they are now being used in them. Only if they get much smarter then who knows what they will be capable off. Bt after saying all this theres no point living in the future since we should live in the present =]

Tokens

Latest Awards:

it might not be possible for artificial intelligence to take the place of humans in some social roles.
    That line right there is so indecisive that i'm going to leave it at that, they don't know where they are at, its dreams.

We already know that robotics have been controlled by animal brains and such, but its not that what needs advancing, it needs better materials. Although balance will probably and most likely always defeat robotics into slow movement.

About them taking up our job roles is clearly happening now, but on the factory floors you tend to still have floor managers who tend to the robotics, and a lot of factory lines still require some human involvement.

Also the fact that in the long run, and at the beginning, robots might not even be very cost efficient and the price could probably out weigh that of paying a Human if something were to go wrong with the machinery.
    Last edited by Accipiter; 09-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast