HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Default comics/graphic novels/manga

from the wellknown comic books for children (aged 3 to 300) to the adult's hentais* with the deepest emotional bias that we could be able to find on a newspaper's paper, you've probably spent part of your childhood reading texts between talking balloons and, sometimes, a fair amount of POW, BOOM and VOOOOSH. since each country must've an hyped comic book of its own, what are/were your favorite ones?

my first experience with comics (and, probably, reading itself) happened with Monica's Gang (Turma da Mônica), which is basically the most popular CB from Brazil, since, hummm, 1959?

As an adolescent, I "refined" my taste on comics through the reading of a local comprehensive collection of Carl Bark's stories for Disney characters, mainly the ones from Duckburg, Donald Duck's city! They'd be one more of Donald's comics available on the crowd except by the fact that Barks were so interested in Geography and History (among other subjects) that he would instinctively put the ducks on real places on Earth, such as the Andes and Egypt, and all the elements from the stories (including the characters) are SO real and "human", man -- no comments, he was a sort of genius

Speaking of graphic novels, I don't know them very much but, definitely, my favourite one is Persepolis, an autobiography by the Iranian Marjane Satrapi, with its simple but cool artstyle, and captivating way of tell about her interesting life

* To manga's purists: manga could be considered a comic book (considered the format and the way the story is told) and, offtopic, animes are a sort of cartoon!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Sloths

Latest Awards:

Oooh I really want to read Persepolis!

My current favourites are Maus I and II. It's about a guy interviewing his polish Jew dad about how he survived the holocaust. Told through animals, Jews are mice, and Germans/nazis are cats. Playing on the old school cat and mice games.

I also really loved Nimona - hilarious

Tbh I am rather new to comics, never read as a kid

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Arguably, manga is closer to graphic novels than comic books (a tankōbon is especially comparable to the format of a graphic novel), but essentially manga is it's own thing, and is far more similar to manhwa and manhua than comics or graphic novels.

I never really got into comics or graphic novels, but I read a lot of manga. I generally love anything from Inio Asano, Naoki Urasawa, Abe Youichi and especially Taiyo Matsumoto, who is my absolute favourite artist. My favourite series include 20th Century Boys, Genshiken, Ping Pong, Nana, Battle Angel Alita, Solanin, A Distant Neighbourhood, I Am a Hero, Eden: It's an Endless World, and Blood Diver Ringo and the Fishbowl Man, the latter of which is possibly one of the most quirky, original and well-illustrated narratives I have read in recent times.

I really adore the work of Taiyo Matsumoto because his artwork is incredibly unique, especially for a mangaka. He takes inspiration from Japanese illustrators, but also from bandes dessinées and American comics. He doesn't use any of the sketchy techniques usually associated with manga, and instead utilises a lot of inking and bold, sometimes unfocused lines, along with a beautiful use of watercolours in Takemitsu Zamurai and Sunny.

I love his manga Ping Pong, because his artwork illustrates the sport with all the tenacity and beauty it deserves. Though manga is all drawings and still images, you can absolutely imagine the action as movement through his precise illustrations and inventive panel placement. The man is a pioneer and has yet to produce anything I haven't enjoyed. I also adore his surrealist themes and pensive, adolescent characters.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Sloths View Post
    Oooh I really want to read Persepolis!
    DO IT - PERSEPOLIS is, basically, one of the graphic novels inside the "graphic novel's starter pack", not only because it's a blockbuster, but also because it is one of those "adult" comic books which motivates (among even the laziest readers) the pleasure by reading and the interest for comics with a more-elaborated narrative, let's say[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sloths View Post
    My current favourites are Maus I and II. It's about a guy interviewing his polish Jew dad about how he survived the holocaust. Told through animals, Jews are mice, and Germans/nazis are cats. Playing on the old school cat and mice games.

I also really loved Nimona - hilarious

Tbh I am rather new to comics, never read as a kid
    I spend half of my life thinking that MAUS were a title translated to the Brazilian Portuguese, because MAUS could refer to the Portuguese adjective "BAD GUYS" but... NO,! it's a Deutsch word for MICE - it was funny to find this out

Quote Originally Posted by Neversoft View Post
    Arguably, manga is closer to graphic novels than comic books (a tankōbon is especially comparable to the format of a graphic novel), but essentially manga is it's own thing, and is far more similar to manhwa and manhua than comics or graphic novels.

I never really got into comics or graphic novels, but I read a lot of manga. I generally love anything from Inio Asano, Naoki Urasawa, Abe Youichi and especially Taiyo Matsumoto, who is my absolute favourite artist. My favourite series include 20th Century Boys, Genshiken, Ping Pong, Nana, Battle Angel Alita, Solanin, A Distant Neighbourhood, I Am a Hero, Eden: It's an Endless World, and Blood Diver Ringo and the Fishbowl Man, the latter of which is possibly one of the most quirky, original and well-illustrated narratives I have read in recent times.

I really adore the work of Taiyo Matsumoto because his artwork is incredibly unique, especially for a mangaka. He takes inspiration from Japanese illustrators, but also from bandes dessinées and American comics. He doesn't use any of the sketchy techniques usually associated with manga, and instead utilises a lot of inking and bold, sometimes unfocused lines, along with a beautiful use of watercolours in Takemitsu Zamurai and Sunny.

I love his manga Ping Pong, because his artwork illustrates the sport with all the tenacity and beauty it deserves. Though manga is all drawings and still images, you can absolutely imagine the action as movement through his precise illustrations and inventive panel placement. The man is a pioneer and has yet to produce anything I haven't enjoyed. I also adore his surrealist themes and pensive, adolescent characters.

As well as a really (and rare) talented novel writer who has the ability to make its readers feel like they are not reading, but exploring an actual world generated through their neurons, a convincing and touchable environment which brings to the reader the pleasure of reading and - as a bonus - make them at least 1% more intelligent, I think that all the finest mangakas have inside them the desire of making the reader feel what exactly is happening inside the plot - obviously 50% of the job is pre done, as the readers don't really need to "imagine" all the already-drawn details, but.. I don't know, maybe the traces and all the elements which represents "motion" and expressions, when well done, makes us feel like we are, for example, the ping pong players themselves, which is VERY nice.

I don't have a broad list of cool mangas since I don't know how to "filter" the interesting ones to the not-so ones - It's probably an exaggerated fact, but I've heard that there's mangas about every single subject we could imagine (PingPong, as you stated, Dishwashing, Waitressing, Trains) , and the Japaneses read them all as if they were, for example, the equivalent of our newspaper

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Here is it what I'd put, as a few examples to get people on the right track:

Manga: Dragon Ball, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bleach, One Piece, Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho, Toriko, Sword Art Online, the list goes on. Your best bet is to look for a Viz title in the category of your gender, and then find out what you enjoy. Be it action, sports, life - they have everything.

Comics: Anything superhero related, Scooby Doo also has a great comic series if you enjoy the cartoons.
    Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMagician View Post
    Here is it what I'd put, as a few examples to get people on the right track:

Manga: Dragon Ball, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bleach, One Piece, Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho, Toriko, Sword Art Online, the list goes on. Your best bet is to look for a Viz title in the category of your gender, and then find out what you enjoy. Be it action, sports, life - they have everything.

Comics: Anything superhero related, Scooby Doo also has a great comic series if you enjoy the cartoons.
    Didn't know Scooby-Doo had a comic... is it actually better than the TV series? :hmm:

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by LUCPIX View Post
    Didn't know Scooby-Doo had a comic... is it actually better than the TV series? :hmm:
    I used to have an issue of it when I was still in school, but time flies ad things get lost. I'm not sure what you'd consider to be better than the cartoons, but it's on-par with the classic series and What's New Scooby Doo era.
    Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    PrettyLoven

I use to read online manga but I have switch over to comics, comic strips, cartoons and graphic novels.
    I bought a 1-6 Vol Popeye The Sailor Man Comic Strip book which I love so much.
    It is the real Popeye when he first came out. It is so awesome.
    I also read the comic "The Crow." I get the art and what had happened but not all that dark poetic deep stuff. LMAO.
    {I'm not much of a mainstream Superhero comic reader like Spider Man, Super Man, Bat Man, etc.}

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLoven View Post
    I use to read online manga but I have switch over to comics, comic strips, cartoons and graphic novels.
    I bought a 1-6 Vol Popeye The Sailor Man Comic Strip book which I love so much.
    It is the real Popeye when he first came out. It is so awesome.
    I also read the comic "The Crow." I get the art and what had happened but not all that dark poetic deep stuff. LMAO.
    {I'm not much of a mainstream Superhero comic reader like Spider Man, Super Man, Bat Man, etc.}
    Superhero comics've never got too much of my attention either. I've only got 00000001 DC comicbook: Superboy, 1997. Although we must to admit how virtuoso their artstyle is