HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

Default Stay-at-home parents vs jobs

This came up in conversation with my family today and I wanted to see what you thought?

Is being a fulll time, stay-at-home mum/dad as hard a job as going to work 9-5?

Personally I feel like being a stay at home parent is easier because, well, you get to stay at home? I know you obviously have to do housework and look after kids (especially when they're younger and not at school) - and also its a 7-day-a-week job.

But going to work 9-5 plus the commute I think is really stressful as well, and if you aren't married to a stay-at-home person you STILL have to do all the chores and cooking yourself?

So my conclusion is: yes it's easier to be stay at home than work AND do everything by yourself, and it's less stressful being stay at home than working.

But apparently that's offensive to my family so go figure

Tokens
    Habbo
    :Cerys

Latest Awards:

Ye I'd say it's easier cos if you have a full time job, say 9-5, you're then coming home to the kids and looking after them. So basically doing exactly the same as a full time parent but also having to work lol. Cos with a stay at home parent they typically get a break during 8-3 cos of school hours anyway ! It gets me annoyed those people who are like omg I'm a full time mummy so stressful x it's like no shush
    Last edited by Cerys; 15-01-2017 at 09:27 PM.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

It depends. A lot of middle class women like to convince themselves that they're just as hard put out as say working class mothers who have to stay at home despite the fact they're paying out for nannies to look after the children, cleaners and gardeners. Yes, poor old Imogen on £110,000 a year living in Kensington and Chelsea really has a hard time bringing up little Henry with an entire team surrounding her.

I believe in the old fashioned idea, and how I was brought up, of a married family with preferably one parent (ideally the mother) staying at home with the father working and providing: especially with more than one child. I have this bizzare and evil conservative concept in my head that if you have children you should actually commit to and raise them yourself rather than paying for somebody else to do it.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

I don't think there's a straight forward answer to this. Some people have easier jobs than others and some people have fewer kids than others. Not everybody has a particularly long commute to work either. I would also say a parent who stays home doesn't have that inherent social activity most people will have with their jobs, and will have to seek it out or I believe they would probably suffer.

I think in general terms I would say staying at home is easier than going to work, but it does depend on those other factors.
    Last edited by dbgtz; 15-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Work is much harder.

Modern appliances make housework a doddle, when your children start school that's a 9-3 break. Lol.

Modern society I would expect both men and women to work but ideally the woman to work part time.. Maybe 25 hours a week to have that little extra for childcare/odd jobs. Obviously I would expect the man to help with childcare and work - after work as well lol

Tokens
    Habbo
    xxMATTGxx

Latest Awards:

There isn't a straight answer for this. Some stay at home parents will have a harder time than other stay at home parents. Same with people who go to jobs - It can piss easy or hard.

For example, if your kids have learning difficulties, autism or a disability of some sort then they will most likely have a harder time than me or anyone going to work each day.

It really does depend on their circumstances.

Previous Habbox Roles
    Co-Owner of Habbox | General Manager | Assistant General Manager (Staff) | Forum Manager | Super Moderator | Forum Moderator
    Like Absently, Gina Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    JennyJukes

Latest Awards:

it's probably one of those things you can just judge easily without having experienced it and it's not really fair to dismiss those who HAVE

i think it entirely depends on your job, a 9-5 job then coming home to a kid is probably less stressful than having a job where your hours are all over the place because it'd be so much harder to juggle childcare. but it also depends on the type of person you are and the situation you're in. so say you want to stay at home but you can't afford to, it'll be hard for you to work. or if you want to work but have to stay at home, you could go crazy with the lack of challenge/stimulation you get at work. think it's good to have a balance: have a job that's opposite to the hours of your partner eg one does night shift or go on relief where you can pick up shifts as and when suits you.

pigged 25/08/2019

Tokens
    Habbo
    Yuxin

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by xxMATTGxx View Post
    There isn't a straight answer for this. Some stay at home parents will have a harder time than other stay at home parents. Same with people who go to jobs - It can piss easy or hard.

For example, if your kids have learning difficulties, autism or a disability of some sort then they will most likely have a harder time than me or anyone going to work each day.

It really does depend on their circumstances.
    completely agree with matt here 10/10
    Like xxMATTGxx Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

I don't know but I do wonder if staying at home might be tougher sometimes. I think both "jobs" so to speak come with their pros and cons but the problem with staying at home I'd assume is that it never stops. Everyone saying you get a break between 9 to 3 seems to be forgetting about all those families who have three under 3 (which is a common occurrence).

I would assume that would be pretty tough having three (or four sometimes) under school age. Someone wakes up crying every 40 minutes? That's your job to sort them out because your partner has to get up for work in the morning. But you still get up at 5 because they're all awake and obviously you can't sleep during the day with 3 young kids running round.

Also as has been mentioned above that would make a social life extremely tough and I'd go mad from lack of social stimulation. Must be damn lonely to be surrounded by just kids.

So idk I'm not particularly arguing that staying at home is tougher than going out to work but this thread just seems to be full of one argument so far so thought I'd put something else out there xx
    Like Absently, Expling Liked

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Lol have some of you people answering ever been around a young child? It is really hard and quite tiring

i know I would prefer to stay at home with my children over work, and I believe work would be draining aswell as the idea of missing a full day with my kids but it's no walk in the park to be a stay at home mum

anyway me and my bf already decided if we have kids he'll be the one staying at home!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast