HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Default How much of an impact have Fansites actually had on Habbo?

It's no question that Fansites have helped develop and shape Habbo to what it is today, but how much of an impact have Fansites actually had on the platform?

Fansites create a different platform for Habbos outside of Habbo to engage with each other and become part of a community. During the first 6-7 years, Habbo didn't seem to do anything alongside fansites aside from open up applications for them to have the status of "Official Fansite"

However, in more recent years Habbo seems to have seen the benefits of Habbo fansites and have since started working closely with fansites from doing things such as creating badges, rooms, events, games and even having Habbo staff promoting said events. There is also even now a section in "Public Rooms" on the navigator dedicated to Official Fansites.

There are also a number of fansite members that no longer play Habbo but stick around in the Habbo community because of the fansites. Would the amount of Habbo users be the same right now if fansites didn't exist?

Do you think Habbo would have seen the growth and success it's had without Fansites?

THIS DEBATE ENDS ON THE 27th APRIL

For more information on the debate guidelines and how to win prizes see the guidelines thread here
    Last edited by Sloths; 13-04-2019 at 01:45 AM.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers
    Like Jarkie Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Sloths

Latest Awards:

This debate is now open!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I'm not really speaking from experience as this (and script-o-matic) were the only forums I ever signed up to.

I think it's important that fan sites:
    • Reach out to a new audience.
      • Is there any evidence that fan sites generate new players?

• Promote interaction with the platform (news, events etc.)
      • I think it's safe to say fan sites like Habbox promote interaction with the platform. But do these users spend money based on that interaction?

• Retain existing members.
      • Existing members will almost certainly be spending money on Habbo. But no revenue is generated on those that don't play.

I joined Habbo because of word of mouth from my friends that had likely seen the game through an advertisement. How many members on this site were introduced to a fan site first and then signed up to Habbo later on?

The question is redundant because of the lack of data, metrics and measurements but it's fun to debate.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    I'm not really speaking from experience as this (and script-o-matic) were the only forums I ever signed up to.

I think it's important that fan sites:
    • Reach out to a new audience.
      • Is there any evidence that fan sites generate new players?

• Promote interaction with the platform (news, events etc.)
      • I think it's safe to say fan sites like Habbox promote interaction with the platform. But do these users spend money based on that interaction?

• Retain existing members.
      • Existing members will almost certainly be spending money on Habbo. But no revenue is generated on those that don't play.

I joined Habbo because of word of mouth from my friends that had likely seen the game through an advertisement. How many members on this site were introduced to a fan site first and then signed up to Habbo later on?

The question is redundant because of the lack of data, metrics and measurements but it's fun to debate.
    I think it's not so much a question or debate based on their profits in relation to Fansites, but more-so a factor debate on the amount Fansites have had on Habbo itself. Myself for example, I left Habbo many years ago, and I only came on once or twice a year out of habit/boredom, until I started speaking to James on Habbo (despect) we got talking and I found myself logging back into HabboxForum and subsequently applied for HxHD and then soon after Forum Moderator - I log into HxF at least once every 2 days, if not everyday... However some may notice that I go 1-3 weeks without logging into Habbo, however the only reason I log into Habbo much more frequently these days is purely because of Habbox, and I recently purchased credits to buy myself another month of HC because I was too lazy to wait for HC Payday

Basically without Habbox I would probably have soon stopped logging into Habbo altogether. So it's a Fansite that brought me back and got me somewhat playing Habbo and even spending money again; not Habbos advertisements or promotions etc.. Purely the people and community within Habbox itself.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be a lot, if any Fansites that got people on Habbo without them knowing about it first, but I'm sure there are a few cases, statistically anyway right?

But think about the fact that there are probably a lot of old-timers, who only stick around because they're so engrossed in a fansite that they can't just pick up and leave, as they have developed friendships over many many years, which gives them reason to login to Habbo and potentially buy credits, but then you got the fact that it also adds activity numbers for Sulake.

Then think about ALL the events and competitions Fansites run on Habbo - Pretty much everyday, all day; Fansites helping new/existing users get free furni and credits, making the game much more enjoyable for everyone, especially new users, which could be potentially generating new income for them and word of mouth from them to their friends, creating more accounts etc...

But yes, it's impossible to know for sure, we can only speculate, but based on some assumptions I think we can safely assume that Fansites do and have had a rather large impact on Habbo...

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers
    Like Zak Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Sectional View Post
    I think it's not so much a question or debate based on their profits in relation to Fansites, but more-so a factor debate on the amount Fansites have had on Habbo itself.

Apologies, I was looking at the bottom line. No money, no game! Haha

There are many ways to evaluate impact, I can appreciate that.

I recently purchased credits to buy myself another month of HC because I was too lazy to wait for HC Payday

Basically without Habbox I would probably have soon stopped logging into Habbo altogether. So it's a Fansite that brought me back and got me somewhat playing Habbo and even spending money again; not Habbos advertisements or promotions etc.. Purely the people and community within Habbox itself.

In your situation this would be a win for Habbo wouldn't you agree? A fansite directly responsible for a financial transaction? Sadly, I feel these situations are few and far between. I may login to Habbo very rarely, but I haven't been an active member or purchased credits for years despite being an active member on the forum.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be a lot, if any Fansites that got people on Habbo without them knowing about it first, but I'm sure there are a few cases, statistically anyway right?

Almost certainly, unfortunately we don't have any quantifiable evidence of this. Habbo may have some? Don't they ask questions like 'where did you find out about us'? If fansites are an option, we could get a reasonable answer! Maybe we could setup a poll on the forum for our users?

But think about the fact that there are probably a lot of old-timers, who only stick around because they're so engrossed in a fansite that they can't just pick up and leave, as they have developed friendships over many many years, which gives them reason to login to Habbo and potentially buy credits, but then you got the fact that it also adds activity numbers for Sulake.

I still think Sulake would find it meaningless if those users weren't spending money.

Then think about ALL the events and competitions Fansites run on Habbo - Pretty much everyday, all day; Fansites helping new/existing users get free furni and credits, making the game much more enjoyable for everyone, especially new users, which could be potentially generating new income for them and word of mouth from them to their friends, creating more accounts etc...

But yes, it's impossible to know for sure, we can only speculate, but based on some assumptions I think we can safely assume that Fansites do and have had a rather large impact on Habbo...

This is where the real impact lies (imo). Fansites undoubtably make the game more enjoyable to play with their events, competitions, helpdesk, radio etc.
    Like Triz Liked