Euro 2024 sweepstakes!
Prizes to be won this summer! Click here to take part, and find yourself a team to cheer on!
Show your pride!
Rainbows galore in our forum shop, including snazzy colours for your username and even a rainbow-coloured... football?
Join Habbox!
Be part of the Habbox family - there are so many roles to pick from! Click here to get your application rolling

Thread: iMac advice.

Tokens
    Habbo
    iBlueBox

Latest Awards:

Default iMac advice.

Right,

I've been after a new iMac for a while and have settled on getting the 4K one, (getting a decent discount through work)

My issue is the baseline model comes with a 1TB 7200 RPM Hard-drive at £1,449 but the next model at £1599 an extra £150 comes with a 1TB 7200 RPM Hard-drive but with a 24GB SSD. The SSD is literally just for frequently used apps and the OS but I'm thinking.

Is it worth the extra £149 for a 24GB SSD?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

A 24GB SSD for OS and Apps? You'll be running out of room before you can download the information needed in order to reply to this thread lol.
    I don't know much about Macs, so forgive me.. But I have a 120GB SSD, which is home to my OS, and programs which I use all the time (not a lot of them) and I've only got 45GB free... I've often myself out of memory because of video editing or simply not clearing my temp files after many months etc... and that's with 45GB free, I can't imagine what it would be like with a 24GB SSD with OS held on it as well as apps.

Perhaps Macs work differently, or the OS isn't much room at all.. but SSDs have a lifespan (years, yes) but if you're wanting a computer to last forever without having to replace parts that are 100% going to die on you in the future, then my advice would be to steer clear from SSD's...

Of course it has it';s benefits though, SSDs will cause your Mac to boot up faster, you'll find that files will transfer faster and your Mac will overall be genuinely quicker. But in my opinion, unless you're a video editor, or you like to hardcore game (Not causally game) then just get the standard version...

I would vote no, not worth the extra money
    Last edited by Triz; 16-10-2015 at 05:04 PM.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Tokens
    Habbo
    xxMATTGxx

Latest Awards:

Is it worth the extra £149 for a 24GB SSD?
    Save the £149 and buy an external hard drive or even an external SSD and plug it into your iMac instead. For example, you can get a 500GB external SSD for like £158.

While SSDs are good and I have a few of them in my Desktop PC - The extra £149 just for 24GB is not worth it.
    Last edited by xxMATTGxx; 16-10-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Previous Habbox Roles
    Co-Owner of Habbox | General Manager | Assistant General Manager (Staff) | Forum Manager | Super Moderator | Forum Moderator

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by xxMATTGxx View Post
    Save the £149 and buy an external hard drive or even an external SSD and plug it into your iMac instead. For example, you can get a 500GB external SSD for like £158.
    Even better.. I concur with Matt's suggestion. More memory is always better and if it's only a couple of £ extra to get 20 times the amount of space!

I have 2 External hard-drives.. They do wonders for my various games that I never play but can't find the strength within me to delete.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Tokens
    Habbo
    iBlueBox

Latest Awards:

Yeah, good point.

I've got an SSD on my Macbook and use a 1TB standard hard-drive and I've became so use to its speed, I just don't want to feel like I'm going to a slower machine,