HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Music Monthly: January

At the start of the year I set myself a goal of listening to atleast 5 new albums released that month, so thought each month I might quickly review new albums and discuss new singles and acts I'm looking forward to. I also say though a lot.

REVIEWS

David Bowie - Blackstar // 7 out of 10
    Don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said about this, but can only be thankful that David's parting gift is actually good. Blackstar sometimes feels underwhelming, but when you compare anything to the sprawling jazz rock of it's title track, most things are.
    Highlights: Blackstar, I Can't Give Everything Away

Chairlift - Moth // 8 out of 10
    It's been almost 5 years since Chairlift's last album Something, a brilliant, classy pop album. In between albums Caroline released her own solo album and even wrote 'No Angel' on Beyonce's last album. So 5 years later, Chairlift are back with a boosted confidence, and it shows on the album's "bangers", like the poppy R&B of 'Ch-Ching' and 'Show U Off'. It's a sound that suits them, but they still retain an aura of class throughout and a groove that rivals Jessie Ware and Solange.
    Highlights: Crying In Public, Show U Off

Sia - This Is Acting // 7 out of 10
    Sia certainly has a trademark sound, plonky piano, big drums, bigger choruses, nothing wrong with that and when perfected it's brilliant (House On Fire is practically Chandelier minus the howling banshee chorus), but This Is Acting is quite one note with it's huge instrumentation. Still, the songs are good, sometimes great, especially when she switches it up with some island/reggae influence on tracks 'Cheap Thrills' and 'Reaper'.
    Highlights: House On Fire, Cheap Thrills

Daughter - Not To Disappear // 6 out of 10
    On their previous album 'If You Leave', it felt like Daughter had a bit of personality, sure they were hopping on the minimalist 'xx' train but there were some memorable melodies on tracks like 'Still' and 'Human'. But on their new album, they seem to go against it's title, determined to hide their personalities behind layers of reverb and guitars; and with all these layers it just doesn't grab my attention. There are some gems on here when Daughter pick up the pace though, on tracks like 'No Care' and the outro on 'Fossa' the band really shine.
    Highlights: Fossa, Alone/With You

MONEY - Suicide Songs // 6 out of 10
    Continuing from Daughter, here's another depressing Winter listen. Suicide Songs aims for the sky, each song beautifully orchestrated with strings, piano and guitars. It's the vocals here that really tug on the heart though with a heavy Twilight Sad-esque drawl. It's a good album, and certainly powerful when all the elements align like on the closing track 'A Cocaine Christmas and an Alcoholic's New Year', which could rival The Pogues when it comes to Anti-Christmas Christmas songs.
    Highlights: A Cocaine Christmas and an Alcoholic's New Year, I Am The Lord

Bloc Party - HYMNS // 4 out of 10
    Bloc Party are back, again. Kinda. After their second hiatus, they've lost two original members and sadly it shows. Honestly I was expecting the worst after hearing the opening track, thankfully that's the worst thing here (mainly due to it's awful, limp synth riff). HYMNS is Bloc Party returning to the electro sound that stuck with Intimacy and Kele's solo work (even if I'm probably in the minority who adore Intimacy). Anyway, with their old drummer leaving it's left a gaping hole on HYMNS, the drums are so tamed and flat it completely ruins the album. There is certainly potential, like the choral chants on 'Only He Can Heal Me' and the dark, smothering synths on 'Different Drugs', but really HYMNS is a boring listen and a huge disappointment.
    Highlights: Different Drugs, So Real

I've not listened to ANTi yet, because Tidal is awful.

also gave Panic! a miss as I'm not a 13 year old girl xx

Singles / News
    - AlunaGeorge return again with I'm In Control, it's a bop.
    - Pet Shop Boys have announced their new album SUPER for April, their last album was brilliant and their new song Inner Sanctum continues their rave reinvention.
    - Kill J just released another brilliant single Trickle Trickle, imagine FKA twigs / Grimes combined but with a bit of cheese.
    - The 1975 release The Sound for their album next month, and I hate that it's amazing.

Albums released in February
    - The 1975 release their new album next month with a really long name, so be warned of Prosiary for a while
    - Kanye West is apparently releasing his album, WAVES, next month. I prefer the name SWISH tbh.
    - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis releasing new album, I liked Downtown and White Priviledge II is... kind of endearing if problematic.
    - Hipster faves Animal Collective are back as well, be interesting to see how it reviews.
    - Foxes is releasing her second album this Friday, seems a very muted release and think she might be dropped after this. The songs have been great so far though.
    - Ra Ra Riot are back too, their last album was incredibly patchy, but pop producer of the moment Rostam from Vampire Weekend is playing a vital role in this, so fingers crossed.
    - BBC Sound of... poll winner Jack Garrett is dropping his album too, not investigated him though.

I'd like this to be a monthly thing anyway, so what have you been listening to in January and are you excited for anything coming this month?
    Last edited by Plebings; 04-02-2016 at 12:16 AM.
    magik*magik

Tokens
    Habbo
    Prosiary

Latest Awards:

- The 1975 release their new album next month with a really long name, so be warned of Prosiary for a while
    hahahahahaha

I really like this music monthly thing Really good idea!

I've obviously been listening to the 1975, but I've been listening to just random stuff on spotify playlists which are quite good at the moment.

Excited for the 1975 new album, but also foxes new album as she has had some good songs before, same with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.

liam //

www.habbox.com/jobs

Tokens
    Habbo
    Evanora

Latest Awards:

stop cashing in on the successes of the vinyl countdown plebings

@lemons;
    HxSS Blue Team

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zitrone

Latest Awards:

yes the downfall of foxes is anytime soon which is a shame because she has some good bops

Quote Originally Posted by Evanora View Post
    stop cashing in on the successes of the vinyl countdown plebings

@lemons;
    it's just healthy competition

Tokens

Latest Awards:

thanks for the inspiration @lemons; @Evanora; xx

i'm gonna submit them as articles next time and do a quick recap as a forum post similar to what undertaker did with rare values!
    Last edited by Plebings; 04-02-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    magik*magik

welshcake is offline Help Desk Assistant Manager
    HabboxLive Senior DJ (DJ welshcake)
    Rare Values Staff
    Events Organiser

Tokens
    Habbo
    welshcake

Latest Awards:

Great stuff
    just got sia's album so excited to listen to it
    also excited to see this as an article next month wink wink