HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

View Poll Results: Uk More Interested In Other Cultures ?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • No

17 56.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tokens
    Habbo
    nvrspk4

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by LewstherinII
    KK, all this is a touch mean. They're only having a conversation.
    I'm not being mean to them, simply stating my opinion

A) China is a COMPLETELY different society from Britain; and I'm not saying everyone can't celebrate what they want, I'm thinking along the same lines. Why should the UK Habbo celebrate the Chinese New Year?
    Not really. Chinese people live in the UK and are part of the .co.uk community. Plus, its perfectly alright to celebrate and respect other cultures. And how is China completely different? They are the same in many ways. They both have hardworking people who toil to make a living and celebrate their cultures with pride, among many other things that would take ages to list.

Personally when I read about it I rolled my eyes.
    You call us mean? Basically what you are saying by that is that the Chinese New Year is basically not "good enough" to be celebrated on the UK Hotel, that its not important and nobody cares about it.

B) Britain is one of the least Mulicultural societies in the world (In terms of Western lifestyle. I could be wrong, so don't get angry about it!)
    What? Britain contains the largest/densest Indian population (not including native Indian places, and I'm not sure how it stacks up against the US.) Anyway, what does that have to do with anything? The UK can still respect other cultures :s

A lot of celebrations in the world take place for New Year; that's why not every Hotel celebrates the "UK New Year" when they have their own. That's part of the reason I think it's ridiculous celebrating the CNY.
    Yes alot do celebrate the British Calendar New Year but its sort of ignorant to call it the "UK New Year" because its not like everyone is follwing you. Kinda stuck up to think that. Also, the reason that other places don't celebrate UK Holidays is that other Hotels are less populated, most of the visitors are native of whatever country hotel. In the UK, however, many Habbos come from different countries so its perfectly alright for them to celebrate other cultures.

Now, I am not being rude and ignortant by saying "All Chinese people don't celebrate it!" That would be extremly rude of me; however it is questionable why we are celebrating (mentioning and perhaps thinking about it would be okay) but CELEBRATING a non-English-speaking New Year in a non-English speaking country in a non-Multicultural society, when we've already had a New Year to start with?
    What does all Chinese people celebrating it have to do with anything? That doesn't matter at all. And by saying why are we celebrating a non English speaking New Year in a non English speaking country in a non Multicultural society, you're basically once again saying that the "non english speakers" aren't good enough for the English speakers! We can celebrate others if we want to! And where do you get this non Multicultural society from? I am a Hindu and I have a very large family, for every 1 that lives in Aussieland, India, Sri Lanka, or the US, there are 5-7 in the UK! Its definitely multicultural

It's just an excuse for Callie to promote another Rare!
    If she wants to release another rare then let her :s I don't see anyone else complaining about her releasing a rare :s

C) Some people could say "Okay...why not celebrate Australia Day (Jan 26) which is almost exactly the same time as the CNY. Australia is even part of the British Empire. Was there a whisper, a mention, a competition? No. Don't stand up for HM when they say "Let's have a brilliant new outlook: a foreign idea!" when they can't first recognize the countries in it's own Empire, INCLUDING Ireland, Scotland and Wales National days, and Australia. China, and it's New Year, might be a celebration, and a large one, too. But not in the UK. It's as ridiculous as your family suddenly coming over 'for the Chinese New Year' and having a big party...do you see my point? It's a bit stupid. Just a mention on the homepage would be enough.
    Aha but here is where you are a wrong. The Chinese New Year is known all over the world, it is recognized all over by many many people. However, Australia Day is a National Holiday, and not really very well known among others. For instance, I didn't know about it at all! I don't see any other Hotels (apart from .com) celebrating Martin Luther King Day or even the Fourth Of July which are US holidays. Its just because CNY is such an important international holiday, many recognize it. The UK has an empire still? What important internationally recognized Holidays from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales did the UK hotel not celebrate? And what is with you and dissing on foreign ideas? Why can't the UK just celebrate other cultures? They can if they want to for god's sake!

I am sorry if I have offended/made anyone angry, I truly am. I just wanted to express my opinion .
    That's alright, you're entitled to your own opinion as long as it isn't rude, and I hope you don't take offense to my post, I, like you, was simply stating my opinion.
    It costs nothing to be a good friend.

American and Proud

I also use the account nvrspk on other computers.

Tokens

Quote Originally Posted by nvrspk4
    I'm not being mean to them, simply stating my opinion

Not really. Chinese people live in the UK and are part of the .co.uk community. Plus, its perfectly alright to celebrate and respect other cultures. And how is China completely different? They are the same in many ways. They both have hardworking people who toil to make a living and celebrate their cultures with pride, among many other things that would take ages to list.

You call us mean? Basically what you are saying by that is that the Chinese New Year is basically not "good enough" to be celebrated on the UK Hotel, that its not important and nobody cares about it.

What? Britain contains the largest/densest Indian population (not including native Indian places, and I'm not sure how it stacks up against the US.) Anyway, what does that have to do with anything? The UK can still respect other cultures :s

Yes alot do celebrate the British Calendar New Year but its sort of ignorant to call it the "UK New Year" because its not like everyone is follwing you. Kinda stuck up to think that. Also, the reason that other places don't celebrate UK Holidays is that other Hotels are less populated, most of the visitors are native of whatever country hotel. In the UK, however, many Habbos come from different countries so its perfectly alright for them to celebrate other cultures.

What does all Chinese people celebrating it have to do with anything? That doesn't matter at all. And by saying why are we celebrating a non English speaking New Year in a non English speaking country in a non Multicultural society, you're basically once again saying that the "non english speakers" aren't good enough for the English speakers! We can celebrate others if we want to! And where do you get this non Multicultural society from? I am a Hindu and I have a very large family, for every 1 that lives in Aussieland, India, Sri Lanka, or the US, there are 5-7 in the UK! Its definitely multicultural

If she wants to release another rare then let her :s I don't see anyone else complaining about her releasing a rare :s

Aha but here is where you are a wrong. The Chinese New Year is known all over the world, it is recognized all over by many many people. However, Australia Day is a National Holiday, and not really very well known among others. For instance, I didn't know about it at all! I don't see any other Hotels (apart from .com) celebrating Martin Luther King Day or even the Fourth Of July which are US holidays. Its just because CNY is such an important international holiday, many recognize it. The UK has an empire still? What important internationally recognized Holidays from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales did the UK hotel not celebrate? And what is with you and dissing on foreign ideas? Why can't the UK just celebrate other cultures? They can if they want to for god's sake!

That's alright, you're entitled to your own opinion as long as it isn't rude, and I hope you don't take offense to my post, I, like you, was simply stating my opinion.
    All of this is very well; but I'm not speaking in numbers. I'm talking in preportion. You say what's wrong with celebrating other cultures; but they have just celebrated ONE aspect. That was one of my points. Did they celebrate Hunnica, at Christmas? No; because that is not UK belief. However; if someone wanted to celebrate their own cultural thing, what's wrong with using the other Hotels who the vast majority are having a large celebration in? I am by no means saying no Chinese person, with English friends, can't celebrate it together, I'm just saying it's probably, for a vast majority 'Western' society not relevant to any part of their lives. To add to this; the Chinese people who are living in the UK are 'living in the UK.' They should celebrate what they want, but no one should be expected outside their cultural group, to celebrate with them, and again, I'm not trying to be ignorant and rude. For example, is it really nessesary for you, if you are living in China, (as a Chinese person) to celebrate UK New Year or Christmas? No one does, there.
    I could bring up issues and everything; but I'm not going to, as I refuse to believe I'm a racist person. I just think; a small celebration with Chinese friends is okay, a party in a room, something like that. But a week of competitions?
    It's nice to have a discussion sometimes, all you who aren't on the same side as myself, you do bring up valid points. But I believe I've justified myself enough. Can't we agree to disagree on this?

Tokens
    Habbo
    nvrspk4

Latest Awards:

All of this is very well; but I'm not speaking in numbers. I'm talking in preportion.
    So? There are still Chinese people in the UK and stuff.

You say what's wrong with celebrating other cultures; but they have just celebrated ONE aspect. That was one of my points. Did they celebrate Hunnica, at Christmas? No; because that is not UK belief.
    First off, its Hannukah or Channukah Secondly, that is a primarily Jew Holiday. Now I'm not saying this to be racist, but not many people celebrate Hannukah except Jews. Chinese New Year is a big deal everywhere.

However; if someone wanted to celebrate their own cultural thing, what's wrong with using the other Hotels who the vast majority are having a large celebration in? I am by no means saying no Chinese person, with English friends, can't celebrate it together, I'm just saying it's probably, for a vast majority 'Western' society not relevant to any part of their lives.
    The thing is, many people in the UK are interested about CNY. Also, its a good moneymaking scheme

To add to this; the Chinese people who are living in the UK are 'living in the UK.' They should celebrate what they want, but no one should be expected outside their cultural group, to celebrate with them, and again, I'm not trying to be ignorant and rude. For example, is it really nessesary for you, if you are living in China, (as a Chinese person) to celebrate UK New Year or Christmas? No one does, there.
    The Chinese people didn't force the office staff to do this, why are you talking about them forcing others to celebrate it? Also, nobody says that you must celebrate it, the option is just there for those who want it.

I could bring up issues and everything; but I'm not going to, as I refuse to believe I'm a racist person. I just think; a small celebration with Chinese friends is okay, a party in a room, something like that. But a week of competitions?
    You're not a racist person, and maybe not even necessarily wrong, I'm just stating my point as well. But I also refuse to acknowledge that the CNY is only "worthy" of a small celebration and is not "worthy" of a big week long event. That is just so condescending

It's nice to have a discussion sometimes, all you who aren't on the same side as myself, you do bring up valid points. But I believe I've justified myself enough. Can't we agree to disagree on this?
    It is nice to have a debate, and I think you brought up a few valid points and have justified yourself. As for the justifying yourself, there's nothing wrong with having the opinion you have, as I said before, its not even necessarily wrong. But the point of this thread was to have a discussion, that's all I'm trying to do, have a friendly debate, not trying to rip you apart. If you don't want to continue to argue your case then that is absolutely fine and nobody is stopping you from doing that
    It costs nothing to be a good friend.

American and Proud

I also use the account nvrspk on other computers.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I voted yes, because the UK is boring when it comes to celebrations "/

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Did they celebrate Hunnica, at Christmas? No; because that is not UK belief. However; if someone wanted to celebrate their own cultural thing, what's wrong with using the other Hotels who the vast majority are having a large celebration in?
    1. I think you may find that there is a furni called MENORAH (Jewish) and there are jewish ppl in the UK & US and how can you call it a non-uk belief!? I know of numerous UK CITIZENS who celebrate cny and hannukah.
    goodbye.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234