HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default EMA - ridiculous

One thing that has really bugged me over the last year is EMA.

I don't understand why tax payers money is being given to thousands of students to encourage them to go to college. If people want to go to college they do it of their own accord, not because they've been bribed. I'd much rather that money be put back in t Universities so that tuition fees are lowered.

Now I know EMA is meant to help people lesser off with transport costs but 9 times out of 10 that money isn't spent on that. I know people who just spend it on pointless things and their parents still pay for travel costs.

A girl I've known since Primary school who is pretty well off, she lives in a large house and has always had nice things. Two holidays a year and nice cars, yet she is still allowed £20 a week and it just makes me so mad because her parents do have enough money to pay for transport.

Like I stated previously. I'd much rather that money be put in to Uni so that a 3 year course doesn't end up costing £9k. I mean most students come out with £20k of debt after their course.

What do you think?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

i'm sure people at my school get 30 per week
    It's based on your parents yearly wages if it is under 25000(i think) you are able to receive it so in theory it would help give the student some money because they are studying instead of working.
    (゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)

Roy: [singing] We don't need no education.
    Moss: Yes you do; you've just used a double negative

Tokens

Latest Awards:

but it does help a lot of people get to and from college. it helps them buy stuff for college. i use my EMA for stuff i need for college, then i use the spare money on what i want. i don't see the problem.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The student could get a part time job.

Also people whos parents earn higher than the set allowance to receive EMA don't necessarily get any more money that someone with parents that earn lower.

All I think is that it would make more sense to lower Uni costs by using the money from EMA.
    Last edited by Dave,; 19-09-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

about the transport issue at my school we are in a partnership of 6 local schools. meaning anyone from these schools can do subjects at the other schools so there is a wider ranger. all the schools use their mini buses to get your around and if you live quite a way from school we have free couches to take you to bus stops near your home.
    so I don't see the transport reason for my school or surrounding schools...
    (゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)

Roy: [singing] We don't need no education.
    Moss: Yes you do; you've just used a double negative

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    The student could get a part time job.

Also people whos parents earn higher than the set allowance to receive EMA don't necessarily get any more money that someone with parents that earn lower.

All I think is that it would make more sense to lower Uni costs.
    some people did crap in school, hard to find a job to fit round college etc. wants to concentrate on college.

Tokens
    Habbo
    smiddy1234

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Sam View Post
    i'm sure people at my school get 30 per week
    It's based on your parents yearly wages if it is under 25000(i think) you are able to receive it so in theory it would help give the student some money because they are studying instead of working.
    Under £30,000 income annually.
    You get either £10, £20 or £30.

I'm quite jealous of some pupils, because it doesn't give some other students the same motivation to work as much as those who do get it. I turned up to most, if not all of my lessons last year and I don't get any money for it, but for all the school knows I might have to pay my parents for rent (random example) and the money would come in handy.

Most of the pupils in my 6thform who get it don't need it for buses, since they have the same transport as lower school (same site) so it'll go on the weekend activities.
    You french fried when you should have pizza'd. If you french fry when you should pizza, you're gonna have a bad time....

GREAT BANTER

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Under £30,000 income annually.
    You get either £10, £20 or £30.

I'm quite jealous of some pupils, because it doesn't give some other students the same motivation to work as much as those who do get it. I turned up to most, if not all of my lessons last year and I don't get any money for it, but for all the school knows I might have to pay my parents for rent (random example) and the money would come in handy.

Most of the pupils in my 6thform who get it don't need it for buses, since they have the same transport as lower school (same site) so it'll go on the weekend activities.
    That is what I was like last year. I turn up for all my lessons and do my work and yet I don't get a penny.

For my transport it cost my mum £340 for the year.

Although my parents earn over the threshold it doesn't mean we have a disposable income. My parents have to pay their bills, the running of cars since my dad does drive a lot for his work. So really the extra income doesn't mean they're spending any more on me than a less fortunate family.

I do wish it was all or nothing. Then the money saved be put in to Uni.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

One thing that has really bugged me over the last year is EMA.
    Do you receive EMA? if not, this is why you are complaining perhaps?

I don't understand why tax payers money is being given to thousands of students to encourage them to go to college. If people want to go to college they do it of their own accord, not because they've been bribed. I'd much rather that money be put back in t Universities so that tuition fees are lowered.

Now I know EMA is meant to help people lesser off with transport costs but 9 times out of 10 that money isn't spent on that. I know people who just spend it on pointless things and their parents still pay for travel costs.

A girl I've known since Primary school who is pretty well off, she lives in a large house and has always had nice things. Two holidays a year and nice cars, yet she is still allowed £20 a week and it just makes me so mad because her parents do have enough money to pay for transport.

Like I stated previously. I'd much rather that money be put in to Uni so that a 3 year course doesn't end up costing £9k. I mean most students come out with £20k of debt after their course.

What do you think?
    I think you are being harsh.

10,000's of people use their money for travel. It isn't just for travel anyways. You can spend it on what you want. It's why it is there.

Carry on learning and get your hands on some extra cash

Education Maintenance Allowance (or EMA for short) could give you up to £30 a week to help out with the costs of staying in learning after 16.
    The money’s paid directly into your bank account. Once it’s there, you can use it to pay for whatever you like – for example, books, travel or equipment.
    Which helps you concentrate on learning without worrying so much about money.
    Hi

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Pycan View Post
    Do you receive EMA? if not, this is why you are complaining perhaps?

I think you are being harsh.

10,000's of people use their money for travel. It isn't just for travel anyways. You can spend it on what you want. It's why it is there.

Carry on learning and get your hands on some extra cash

Education Maintenance Allowance (or EMA for short) could give you up to £30 a week to help out with the costs of staying in learning after 16.
    The money’s paid directly into your bank account. Once it’s there, you can use it to pay for whatever you like – for example, books, travel or equipment.
    Which helps you concentrate on learning without worrying so much about money.
    I don't get it. I am a little jealous yes. Like I stated before my parents earn over the threshold but I don't get given anymore money than my 'less fortunate' friends.

Like I also stated it costs £340 a year for my bus card and with my course I do need the money to buy supplies. Like Photography I could spend a weeks EMA in an hour with film and developing costs. I have to pay for that out of my own money.

I do think it should either be: give everyone the money or put it in to University. Most people who I have spoken to would rather it be spent on Uni so they don't get in to debt after college.
    Last edited by Dave,; 19-09-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast