HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Any artists out there? Need some advice about a painting!

Hey guys- in the middle of a painting and I'm rather stuck!

Its meant to be an aboriginal man. I haven't finished the beard yet which is why its just a big blob of white! So is there anything above the lips I can improve?

But, most importantly, I'm stuck with what to do with the background.. I thought about black... But it would take emphasis away from the face. Maybe a sky blue?

Lemme know please would really appreciate it!

Also post all yr latest drawings/paintings/photography or whatever!

x
    BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

A lovely, pleasant video of my neck piercing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5pDsJAyYE

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Ahhhh no! You are clearly extremely talented as an observational painter if that's your work, but you made a critical error - you should always do the background first. It's far more difficult to paint up to the lines and then have to retouch it where it doesn't quite fit or takes away from the edges than it is to do a background and paint the main subject over it.

With this in mind, if I were you I'd actually leave it without a background rather than risk ruining the piece. Haven't actually FINISHED anything myself in a while because I get bored or stuck half way lol but will post some older stuff in a bit when I find it
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    Ahhhh no! You are clearly extremely talented as an observational painter if that's your work, but you made a critical error - you should always do the background first. It's far more difficult to paint up to the lines and then have to retouch it where it doesn't quite fit or takes away from the edges than it is to do a background and paint the main subject over it.

With this in mind, if I were you I'd actually leave it without a background rather than risk ruining the piece. Haven't actually FINISHED anything myself in a while because I get bored or stuck half way lol but will post some older stuff in a bit when I find it
    You know, I've always had trouble with doing the backgrounds and never even thought to do it first with acrylics! Do with oils though cause it's all in layers... But don't you reckon it'll look a bit empty with plain white canvas? I see what you mean about ruining the painting though.. Took me long enough as it is to do that. Cheers for the advice! +rep of course
    BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Xarea

Latest Awards:

Wow, you are extremely talented. I think the piece looks brilliant as it is; I think a background would only spoil it.
    eek.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Nah I think if it is purely just white and blank then it'll work well as a negative space, especially if it's put up against a white backdrop, it'll definitely make the figure stand out brilliantly. I use acrylics myself (not at all in the style you do though haha my paintings aren't at all figurative) and yeah they're pretty good for layering as long as you don't lay it on too heavy to start, and they dry really quick so it can be quite useful.

Don't suppose you've ever done a painting partially in oil and part in acrylic? Never tried it myself but might work nicely to have an oil background (for the layering) and then acrylic over to get something more solid... not sure if they'd mix well though.
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

thanks Xarea

I know oils are such a pain, they just take sososo long to dry... Always have to get the hair drier out. I used to hate them but I've started experimenting recently. I read up on it a bit and found this technique where you draw what're you're going to paint heavily in charcoal - really makes a difference! I've never tried using oils and acrylics, no... Sounds interesting though! Although the acrylics quite so thin in comparison I dunno if it'd work? We'll have to try it.

Had a little sketch and came up with this-

so might use that to try the technique!
    BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Tokens

what you could do is darken more of the left side of the face asif he is looking away from something or you could even brighten it up a bit and the background could be sunset/sunrise or simply sun and he is looking away from this

i see you are a extremeley great artist so i think you should keep to your skills and create something you thing will look good

wish i was that good of an artist great picture keep it up

keegan
    merry xmas

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I am crap at art and my skills go as far as drawing stick men, so unfortunately I cannot help. But I must say you are amazing at art, keep doing it through GCSE, A level etc you will get very far! +rep
    Image removed by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not have images in your signature which exceed the maximum file size.

"There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America."
    - Barack Obama

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."
    - Thomas Dewar

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Tones of light brown and grey in the beard would help I think.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Wow, that is a great painting, and the drawing is awesome too. +rep.
    1. Jeremy 1129 up, 295 downA named based on the biblical name Jeremiah. Used as a name for children who are blessed with a large brain and/or penis. Also used as a replacement for "perfect".
    We had a child and it had a very large penis so we named it Jeremy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast