HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Fake town CLOSED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual World News
    Correction: Faketown Closes Due to Bankruptcy; Technology Up for Auction

If you go to Faketown now, you'll be prompted for a user name and password. That's for the site itself, not the virtual world. The virtual world has been forced into bankruptcy due to a lack of funding, explained Bart Yeary, co-founder and chief creative officer of Identity Play, the company behind Faketown. According to a long-time user, the site first went down for maintenance for several weeks during June and returned an error message in July before finally going behind a password prompt now.

When the virtual world launched in 2006, though, Faketown was prompted Mashable to ask if it was the the next Habbo Hotel and was called "ambitious" by GigaOM.

Just over a year ago, we spoke to Yeary and CEO Michelle Ogata about a carbon reductions campaign in Faketown produced through a partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, though the partnership was done on a pro bono basis to help the WWF. . The partnership brought in revenue for Faketown, but ran "on a small budget." At the time, Yeary and Ogata said Faketown was drawing 35,000 unique users per month. That's already more robust than some new virtual worlds, but the two had plans to increase advertising for the virtual world to grow its population.

Regardless, the increasingly crowded youth market--the majority of Faketown's users were teens--and challenges of monetization--Faketown sold sold "fake coins" to users and advertising to brands--has led some to speculate that there's not as much room for non-brand-based virtual worlds. Yeary, though, believes there are still opportunities, even for Faketown.

"The site and underlying technology are currently on auction to the highest bidder," said Yeary via email. "We still believe in the product and we are optimistic that someone will see the value in re-establishing the community."

Interested parties can view a video walkthrough of Faketown or contact the trustee, Timothy J. Yoo of Robinson, Diamant & Wolkowitz, APC, for more information.

We'll be following up with Yeary tomorrow for more the full story and his take. Check back later for more information.

Corrected: I originally reported that the World Wildlife Fund partnership was revenue generating. It was done on a pro bono basis.
    Original Post: http://www.virtualworldsnews.com/200...wn-closes.html

sad - was a pretty good game!
    Last edited by Swinkid; 16-02-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    rnix

Latest Awards:

I swear it closed down long ago? :S
    forever the queen.

Tokens
    Habbo
    ReviewDude

Latest Awards:

Did anyone lose anything they'd paid for? What was the game like?
    The sunlight hurts my eyes...

~ Love, Patrick ~

Know your stuff about Habbo? I'm looking for high-quality article writers - PM for more!

I am Habbox's most trusted seller of VIP/Donator - over 100 months total sold without issue.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

July 28, 2008

yeah it's been closed for ages now and it's also been posted before i think.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I prefer'd the old version of it, sad to see it go, about a year ago, anyone know any retros of the old version?
    VR|46

Tokens
    Habbo
    rnix

Latest Awards:

I played it like in year 8 lol
    x
    forever the queen.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Redhotdevil65

Latest Awards:

I played it reeeally briefly way long back when it first opened. I literally only went on maybe twice though because I thought it was lame in comparison to habbo. That is a shame it closed though! I'm sure there were people that played it often that were highly disappointed..
    Ex-mod.
    Follow the rules, it makes the world a better place!

I've pretty much quit Habbo & Habbox, but I still stop by every once in a while. If you knew me, send me a message saying hi, and I promise I'll get back to you! Miss all you wonderful people who saved me from boredom all those years.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Was that that game where at the beginning they give you enough money to buy a house, and there was that thing where you click to get money?

Because that was crap.
    Get back imma let my gat go,
    got a itchy finger... imma leave a fat hole.
    - Giggs :: Ruthless Freestyle

I owe rep to - .:Jack120:. HabbDance

Tokens
    Habbo
    rnix

Latest Awards:

noo i havent ever played this game loool!
    wrong game
    forever the queen.

Tokens
    Habbo
    GoldenMerc

Latest Awards:

Is this the game you could do dirty dancing o.O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast