HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Do you think online relationships can work? [Ends 17/01/2010]

Do you think online relationships can work?
    Ends 17/01/2010

As the internet becomes increasingly popular and people spend more and more time surfing the internet, particularly sites that offer large communities such as Habbo and Runescape, the relationships individuals share over the internet can become far more intense. With the change in web technology, individuals can almost be as close as they would be in real life - webcams, microphones and instant messaging programs an example of how communication technology has been revolutionised, allowing people to become closer than ever via the internet.

Some people take these relationships to the next level, going as far as what has become known as "edating". Edating has become increasingly common, with some of these relationships blossoming into long-term partnerships and on occasion marriage. There are even members of this forum who have dated for a period online, before taking it to the next step in real life.

The question is, do you think online relationships can work?

Before posting in this thread, please read the debates forum rules and the thread that explains how this forum works!

Thread closed by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Closed with permission.
    Last edited by iAdam; 17-01-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini

Tokens
    Habbo
    lxce

Latest Awards:

If you meet someone online and you find you really like talking to them and text and call them or something and this goes on for a while and you have seen what they look like etc then i say you should go for it BUT only if you know for a fact that you will be meeting in real life in the near future and when you have done this once you can do it frequently afterwards because otherwise there is no point because you can't sustain a relationship with someone who you never have physical contact with (and getting it out on cam isn't physical contact it's desperate).

There are different ways to e-date some people walk round habbo looking for a husband or wife and e-date that way and you will probably see each other once before removing them off you f.r but then say at habbox if you are both staff or just know each other on msn etc then you decided you like the person not the pixel image of them you can go to what i said above.

It is also so easy to fake who you are as a person and who you are as in looks over the internet that is why you have to trust and talk to them a lot. I know people who have really good online relationships and are together and meet all the time but I also know people who e-date loads of people one after another and will never meet and have never even been on cam or phone or aren't even sure that the photos they are seeing are even them.

You many and probably do disagree but i think this is the only way you can do it !
    Last edited by luce; 03-01-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

No mature relationship can work properly without some sort of physical contact. Sex is often not an issue for people but intimacy certainly is, and frankly having a long-distance relationship is only going to make you realise that void more, which will make a person miserable and likely to cheat just in order to actually feel something. I was with some girl from Wales (rank) for a bit and we met up a few times and did whatever but it just wasn't going to work so I had to tell her that it was done for us because I just wasn't getting anything good out of it other than getting told how wonderful I am which happens anyway.

I know there are cases where people in long-distance internet relationships do end up together etc., but unless it's a distance that's easy to get by and one that both are willing and able to travel I can't bring myself to have any faith in the idea, especially knowing first hand how it ends up.
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I think the thing here is the big difference between an online relationship and a relationship within which the couple first met online.

The internet is such a vast and wonderful thing nowadays and it has a huge impact on the world. You can do pretty much anything on the internet and it is quite a good place to meet people, I've met some great people online who I value just as much as I value my real life friends.

When it comes down to dating purely online, this is pathetic. If you're going to have a relationship with someone you met online, have a relationship. In my opinion talking to eachother only on msn, only undergoing sexual "contact" on webcam, or even just talking on the phone is not enough. There needs to be physical meetings, and this, in my opinion changes it from being an online relationship.

Only thing is most relationships where you meet the partner online is that they involve distance, so they'll only work if you are committed to this and can afford it.
    "You live more riding bikes like these for 5 minutes than most people do in their entire lives"

RIP Marco Simoncelli ~ 1987 - 2011
    Previous Habbox Roles: Shows Manager, Help Desk Manager, Forum Moderator, Forum Super Moderator, Assistant Forum Manager, Forum Manager, Assistant General Manager (Staff), General Manager.

Retired from Habbox May 2011

+1

Tokens
    Habbo
    Yet

Latest Awards:

Personally no, I used to think they did but they don't. Well I suppose It really depends how you define "online relationship". The only way I think it would sort of work is if both people in the relationship lived close enough to each other and met up as soon as they could. Leaving it months just fails. Internet relationships get taken out of hand in my opinion, people try to turn the internet into reality. When the majority of the time that won't happen. Yes maybe I am a hypocrite because I used to "date online" but ive seen sense now ha.

@Invincible
    +Rep I agree totally
    Last edited by Richie; 03-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
    ofwgktadgaf

Tokens
    Habbo
    lxce

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by invincible View Post
    I think the thing here is the big difference between an online relationship and a relationship within which the couple first met online.

The internet is such a vast and wonderful thing nowadays and it has a huge impact on the world. You can do pretty much anything on the internet and it is quite a good place to meet people, I've met some great people online who I value just as much as I value my real life friends.

When it comes down to dating purely online, this is pathetic. If you're going to have a relationship with someone you met online, have a relationship. In my opinion talking to eachother only on msn, only undergoing sexual "contact" on webcam, or even just talking on the phone is not enough. There needs to be physical meetings, and this, in my opinion changes it from being an online relationship.

Only thing is most relationships where you meet the partner online is that they involve distance, so they'll only work if you are committed to this and can afford it.
    In reaction to the first statement yeah because there are so many people who meet on places like Match.com so yeah i think the difference needs to be recognized before people start making judgement on what people can and can not do

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The original post has ended this debate before it begun. They do work as mentioned, if anyone says or think they do not work clearly are dead from the neck up. The question should be:

"Are Internet Relationships as reliable as one-to-one, face-to-face relationships where you initially meet in reality?"

So answering my own question: Yes, though you have to rely on only text rather than any real emotional or body language. This progresses over time to maybe going on cam together, sharing numbers and talking to each other hearing each others voices. Once you know what they sound like, you get an understanding of what they are like as a real person, rather than an e-person. You begin to understand them and see them as a real person, thus you may feel the need to meet up. Of course, meeting up has risks usually depending on age and naivity - should you, and if so, where? A safe option is somewhere public so if this e-person does decide to go ninja on you, they have to do so infront of hundreds of people. If they're suggesting to meet up somewhere dark like a back alley, then something is wrong. Meet up somewhere where both of you are comfortable, if, for example, you're meeting in London, go somewhere you know or if you're inviting them, go somewhere you know that isn't private or in secret, maybe even have them invite a friend or you invite a friend - afterall, if you're progressing a natural bond, there is no harm or embarassment because you have a sense of "knowing" this person.

Heck, before you do the whole meeting up activity, you can see what they're like on Facebook. Afterall, if you're friends with someone (internet or reality), adding each other Facebook if both have it is a must, and you get to see how this friend reacts around their own friends and vice versa.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Personally I see a difference between online relationships.

You have the relationships which are completely reliant on the internet for communication, picture sharing, and the only actual live communication is msn and skype and such.

I personally believe that this type of relationship is flawed and impossible. With no humanly contact you develop no bond, mentally or intimatly (If that's a word). Because of this regardless of things in common, looks or attraction that has developed, I believe that a relationship could not last without this contact that I mentioned.

Then there is the online relationships which begin with two people meeting online and evolve into 'real world' visits and physical contact.

On the other hand, I believe that this is a perfectly decent way to meet people, and an increasingly popular way to meet people, as well as being harmless fun in most cases. This type of relationship could easily be held with occasional or frequent contact aswell as keeping in touch when away and could easily lead to bigger and better things.

But Edating solely can't even constitute as a relationship in my opinion, No physical contact and just talking via voice or whatever isn't enough at all.
    VR|46

Tokens

Judging from replies, people believe in meeting on the internet but not using it for the only communication.

I am currently in a long distance relationship, we use technology solely to speak, unless meeting up. I live in England, she lives in Northern Ireland. I never believed in online relationships until now. I've been going out with her now for 7 months. (Exactly 7 months tomorrow) and I have actually fell in love over the internet. We plan on moving in together when she engages in non-optional education (comes to college) and I think it's definitely going to work.

Also, my friend Kirsty met someone online (on Runescape hah) and I didn't approve of it really. I used to tell her it's not going to work. He came to see her for a week, then after that moved in with her. It's been just over 2 years and they're great together.

Online relationships that want to stay online, are pointless yet not harmless. Online relationships where you're passionate about meeting and being together however, can work.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Pyroka

Latest Awards:

NO. FULLSTOP.

Livin proof 2k10

Edited by SuperNic. (Forum Moderator): Please only make posts that you are willing to expand on instead of just giving short answers. Debate forum rules ~ http://habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=617161
    Last edited by Nicola; 03-01-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    +1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast