HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Default The Welfare State - Good, Bad or don't really care?

Britain is "The Welfare State". For those of you who do not understand...it means we give certain liberties to people for free or very cheaply...examples being:

Health Care. Several countries such as America & Ireland have to pay for health care, this means just going to see the doctor can cost in excess of £50 - but in Britain it is free.

Universities - Again, in America Prices vary but are often in excess of £15k per year for tuition fees. Scotland currently offers free University whilst England, Wales & N.I. offer cheap (£3k soon to increase to £6k - or £9k with various grants ect. for poorer students) tuition.

Education - In some poorer countries even basic education is privatized and only the richest children are educated, but here in the UK every child gets it for free.

So is this "Welfare State" where everyone is equal - or so they say - really worth it?

Let's take a look...

Last year the UK spent £110bn. on Health.
    Over £12bn on Higher (University) education and nearly £80bn on education in total...but it has debts of roughly £1tn.

So really...is it worth that cost?

In my opinion things like rises in tuition fees will be a good thing. Privitization of health care would destroy the point of it so that's a big no-no, and primary education is a foundation which every child needs so we cannot privatize that, but we need to find a way to reduce the debt and I think reducing the Welfare State is one way.

Discuss.

DJ Robbie
    Former Jobs: Events Organiser, News Reporter, HxHD

Tokens
    Habbo
    Eoin247

Latest Awards:

I didn't realise your healthcare was totaly free. Does this mean anybody rich or poor in the uk can visit GPs as often as they like for free? Also are all perscrptions/non cosmetic operations free then?
    Bonjour, la noirceur, mon vieil ami
    Je suis venu te reparler
    Car une vision piétinante doucement
    A laissé ses graines lorsque je dormais
    Et la vision
    Qui était plantée dans mon cerveau
    Demeure toujours
    Parmi le son du silence

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by eoin247 View Post
    I didn't realise your healthcare was totaly free. Does this mean anybody rich or poor in the uk can visit GPs as often as they like for free? Also are all perscrptions/non cosmetic operations free then?
    Seeing a gp is free yes. Prescriptions vary I think but I also think they are largely free and most operations are free

I forgot to add. I personally believe people who want gastric bands ect for obesity should be made to pay for their treatment if it is their fault they are fat. Eg; they over eat and don't exercise. But if it's a genetic problem it should be free..but yeah people who are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise should be made to pay for treatment.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Eoin247

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by R0BB13G View Post
    Seeing a gp is free yes. Prescriptions vary I think but I also think they are largely free and most operations are free

I forgot to add. I personally believe people who want gastric bands ect for obesity should be made to pay for their treatment if it is their fault they are fat. Eg; they over eat and don't exercise. But if it's a genetic problem it should be free..but yeah people who are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise should be made to pay for treatment.
    Totaly agree, if people have a choice in whether they are fat then they shouldn't get these peaks.
    Bonjour, la noirceur, mon vieil ami
    Je suis venu te reparler
    Car une vision piétinante doucement
    A laissé ses graines lorsque je dormais
    Et la vision
    Qui était plantée dans mon cerveau
    Demeure toujours
    Parmi le son du silence

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It's right that the UK helps people in need, but too many people are dependent on welfare. There's plenty of people that believe they don't need to work, as the government will just hand them money and pay their bills, and that's the attitude the government has created. The government shouldn't be there to substitute people paying their own way. As for Uni, I think it should be free as long as it's a subject that will help the student to get a well paid job to pay back in tax the money that has been spent on them (I mean the Govt. shouldn't pay for courses like Film Studies and Golf Course Management). More should be spent on the NHS, as the UK currently spends the least percentage of GDP on healthcare and has the poorest health in Western Europe. Cosmetic treatment shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer, though. The welfare system should be changed, and there's plenty of areas that could be cut to provide better health.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Decalan

Latest Awards:

the welfare state is a great idea.
    our welfare state is unfortunately broken, and needs fixed.

however, i don't think the coalition cutting everything is the way to fix it.

---------- Post added 25-11-2010 at 04:32 AM ----------

the welfare state is a great idea.
    our welfare state is unfortunately broken, and needs fixed.

however, i don't think the coalition cutting everything is the way to fix it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by R0BB13G View Post

Not everyone who wants a gastric band gets one free on the NHS. They have to be assessed first.

As for the welfare state, can't believe people are asking these questions in the 21st Century. Of course it's good that we are helping the disadvantaged in society. The problem only occurs when people abuse that trust.

I also think it'll be career suicide for any politician who tries to get rid of it completely.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

It would be stupid to suggest the Welfare State is a bad idea; it is the foundations for our so-called freedom in this country and it is generally one of the icons of Britain (just look at the mess the USA got into with their private health care )

In theory, the welfare state is brilliant. As Mike said, it's the people who break the trust and take advantage of their "freedom" that may put such a bad tag on the phrase.

@Monopoly - taking into consideration that £110bn is spent on Health, £80bn on education and millions in debt.. you think cuts shouldn't be made? :S

Tokens
    Habbo
    Decalan

Latest Awards:

there is a difference between saving and ruthless cutting. the coalition is doing the latter.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

I agree it would be ridiculous to get rid of the welfare state, but it needs to be changed radically:

Anyone who has a problem that is self-inflicted (obesity through fatty foods, cancer through smoking ect.) should NOT get free health care - that will save millions a year.

People who CAN work but chose not to should not get any money from the Government except for a job seekers allowance for 1 year after being made redundant - then revoke it unless special circumstances.

That will save us a lot of money there...I should totally be Chancellor

DJ Robbie
    Former Jobs: Events Organiser, News Reporter, HxHD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast