HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A2 Choices

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default A2 Choices

Hey,
    Okay, so the time has come where I need to drop one of my AS Level subjects in preperation for A2.

This year, I've taken: English Language, Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Critical Thinking. Obviously I'll be dropping Critical Thinking, but it's a toss up of whether to drop Literature or Sociology.

I asked my Careers advisor and she suggested I drop Literature. I'm probably going to want to do something relating to English at University and she said that I'll only need either one English subject (Lit or Lang) in order to get a space. She thinks if I do Psychology and Sociology, along with Language, then I'll be keeping my options open for the future; but then it feels like I'm restricting myself to Social Sciences when I'm wanting to do English? :S

I'm pretty much achieving A/B in all the subjects (weakest on Lit and Lang).
    So yeah, what do you think? I know Sociology is considered to be a weaker subject by Universities but my Careers advisor is suggesting I drop Literature!

Matt

Tokens

Latest Awards:

If you know you can keep an A/B grade in lit I would stick with that and get rid of Sociology.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by redtom View Post
    If you know you can keep an A/B grade in lit I would stick with that and get rid of Sociology.
    That's the thing. I wasn't doing too well when I first started, got like C/D in the essays... but as we've gone through the year I got an A/B in the latest exam essay and a B in the coursework. I've still got the poems to revise (got a C in the last essay for that, months ago) and another piece of coursework.

It's a bit rubbish that we're having to decide so early but it's so they can sort the timetables and stuff out.

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

YESS GO ENGLISH AT UNI WOOO and btw my bff did the exact same subjects as you how weird. anyway

O/T: It's true - universities do only need either Lit or Lang to do a general English course at uni, but there are options to do a language-based course at some unis, where they prefer lang over lit, and vice versa, but all the ones I visited all said either, not both or one. You could check online uni prospectuses or contact the unis directly if you have any idea of unis or courses to see if they would be more likely to make you an offer with either one or the other.

If you are getting better grades in the Social Sciences, and you enjoy them just as much, then I'd suggest sticking to them, because at the end of the day, it's the final grades which will count, not particularly the subjects, seeing as (will be) doing 4, including some academic subjects. I chose mine by thinking of university courses and which A2 topics would fit into or benefit there (which is how I chose classical civilisation instead of philosophy), so try looking at the A2 modules!

PS LIT FTW

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I think that keeping English literature may help you in the future as if you suddenly decide you want to do English at university you may need both, and as you are good at journalism then maybe you should follow that.

Tokens
    Habbo
    T@R

Latest Awards:

You have to drop one?
    At my school we have to continue with all 4 and an enrichment unless we get a fail grade in it D:
    How much I'd love to drop english lit... ;3
    I'd drop sociology if it were me because I don't even class it as a subject...
    ~ lol

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

I'd HATE to do English lol.

However, drop the one that:

You don't like as much
    You don't have such good grades in
    and that you don't think will help you for what you want to do.

DJ Robbie
    Former Jobs: Events Organiser, News Reporter, HxHD

Tokens
    Habbo
    Samantha.

Latest Awards:

At my college, if you get A's in all 4 of your subjects, you're allowed to keep all four on for A2.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

the decision for me was pretty easy, i did horrendous in physics (its all maths, i can't do maths) so it was a no-brainer.

you should have some idea about what you want to do at university. there are subjects which may complement the course you want to take (i.e, doing history at A2 will enhance my chances at doing economics at university (infact i have all my offers, may have something to do with what subjects i take), as they are both essay-styled subjects). also if yiou take subjects that universities look down upon, i.e. business studies, ict (but not computing). also think about how much revision it will take, like you said literature, i can imagine it'll take a lot to revise something like that. make sure it won't affect revision of other subjects either by being too hard for you or by requiring mass amounts of time and effort.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I know for a fact that Unis consider Literature higher than Language, so just food for thought.

If I were you I'd drop Language and Sociology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast