HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD + HDD

Tokens
    Habbo
    triston220

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by N!ck View Post
    I'd do a secure erase (TRIMs the whole drive) on the SSD with gparted, aLinux live CD and then when you've reinstalled Windows disable hibernation (will free up about 5GB on the SSD) and if you have lots of RAM (8 GB+) than disable the pagefile which will free up several more GB.

You can set your Steam folder to the relevant folder on the HDD and it will be able to use the games again (I've done it before). Just make sure you back up your game saves before wiping the SSD. Videos will be fine.
    A secure wipe is not needed and will waste some of the drives write cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaaack! View Post
    See, however much I want this, my girlfriend uses my PC too much, and I would be killed.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by triston220 View Post
    A secure wipe is not needed and will waste some of the drives write cycles.
    Why not get the drive nice and freshly TRIM'd? The performance benefit is going to be worth the one cycle over each block considering the number they have in them before wearing out.

Tokens
    Habbo
    triston220

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by N!ck View Post
    Why not get the drive nice and freshly TRIM'd? The performance benefit is going to be worth the one cycle over each block considering the number they have in them before wearing out.
    Erasing the free space is fine but by does it need to be done securely? One pass should be enough.

See, however much I want this, my girlfriend uses my PC too much, and I would be killed.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

A secure wipe puts it back 100% to factory default. All the cells are completely empty and performance will be 100% restored. A normal format will not do this.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by triston220 View Post
    Erasing the free space is fine but by does it need to be done securely? One pass should be enough.
    See what Stephen said. The secure erase does does not do multiple passes with random data or anything like that.

Tokens
    Habbo
    triston220

Latest Awards:

Right, okay. I thought you meant formatting with several passes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12