HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: Help?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Circadia

Latest Awards:

Default Help?

I got my laptop at Christmas and now its totally ****** up
    Basically, every time I load my laptop I have to skip disc check because if I don't it will freeze at the third part at 26% and I have no idea why
    My laptop is also incredibly slow now and its pissing me off
    Can anyone help?
    I have a Toshiba laptop if that helps

'On top of the world, on top of it all,
    trying to feel invincible.'

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Reinstall windows, if it doesn't fix it then your disk is failing, which is simply bad luck and it happens but you'll be under warranty so it'll be a free fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    e-rebel forum moderator
    :8

Tokens
    Habbo
    Circadia

Latest Awards:

Don't you need a Windows disk to reinstall it? Urgh idek

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Yes, or the recovery partition. Read the manual for your laptop to find out how.
    e-rebel forum moderator

Tokens
    Habbo
    Circadia

Latest Awards:

ok thank you

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Your hard drive might not be properly failing it's more likely that you have a bad sector which diskcheck is struggling to read. Normal error correction procedures in the hard drive failed as it can't read the sector.

If you run spinrite from http://grc.com (Or TPB if you get what I mean) on your hard drive it'll do some fun tricks to read the sector and get the hard drive to correct itself. Although you're in warranty so if you're willing to sit around for a replacement then that's probably easier.

I doubt a windows reinstall will fix the problem, it might mask it initially but as your hard drive fills up you may find that the bad sector comes back to haunt you. Although If you're lucky the hard drive might reallocate the sector when you reinstall.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Your hard drive might not be properly failing it's more likely that you have a bad sector which diskcheck is struggling to read. Normal error correction procedures in the hard drive failed as it can't read the sector.

If you run spinrite from http://grc.com (Or TPB if you get what I mean) on your hard drive it'll do some fun tricks to read the sector and get the hard drive to correct itself. Although you're in warranty so if you're willing to sit around for a replacement then that's probably easier.

I doubt a windows reinstall will fix the problem, it might mask it initially but as your hard drive fills up you may find that the bad sector comes back to haunt you. Although If you're lucky the hard drive might reallocate the sector when you reinstall.
    I'd have thought chkdsk is as good at sorting sectors out as any other software?
    e-rebel forum moderator

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
    I'd have thought chkdsk is as good at sorting sectors out as any other software?
    Checkdisk gives up eventually, SpinRite doesn't skip a sector until it fixes it, it also reads other sectors and then reads the faulty sector in an attempt to read it at a different velocity and angle and other shenanigans. Also I believe that checkdisk is a filesystem level checker, hard drives normally do a good job at sorting themselves out at the sector level.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Still worth giving it a go as you said, but the general consensus on the internet is that SpinRite isn't any better than fsck or chkdsk.
    e-rebel forum moderator

If it's slow on the internet like habbo, try clearing all your Cache from beginning of time. Hopefully that will help!