HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Monitor

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Yes there is but as I said before it is more expensive/hassle that just buying a new freeview+ box.

First you'd need something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Ad.../dp/B0035XB4Z4 (yellow connector is composite video)
    Edit: this connector might actually be the wrong direction. You'd want one that goes from SCART to composite or s-video)
    Then:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00083Y72...SIN=B00083Y72Q
    (Note you need Composite to VGA NOT VGA to Composite) First one I found with a quick search, might be able to find some cheaper ones but, remember, it must be composite to VGA not the other way around (vga to composite converters are super cheap but are useless for what you want to do)

Of cause you'd still need some way to listen to the sound which now would be in the form of a L+R audio on the white and red plugs on the RCA/SCART adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuth View Post
    Alright cheers, so there's no way I can make my freeview+ box show up on the monitor?
    ---------- Post added 23-05-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

The signals are exactly the same actually. Both VGA and SCART use component video signals. The only difference is the horizontal frequency output by the device. It is perfectly possible for a VGA monitor to display output from a SCART device if it accepts the horizontal frequency. However, in this case the monitor does not.

Also you'd be surprised at the amount of TVs that still do post-processing even if you tell it not to/configure it yourself. Although I'm not denying you can get better quality panels in TVs than some monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    Most TVs with a DVI input use the input just like a monitor would and don't add any more post-processing. They're not dumb about this stuff.

It's not the settings, I've set all that up, the quality of the screen itself is better.

Also you can't just whack a Scart into a VGA port, it's like putting diesel into a petrol car. It's just not designed for that. The signals aren't compatible.
    Last edited by Tomm; 23-05-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

Thanks for the help the both of you (+REP'd you both), turns out I had more that I thought, a lot more infact so I'll buy a TV and use it as a monitor too

RIP Grandad - Click here to see my Dads Subaru Impreza WRX STI in action!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    The signals are exactly the same actually. Both VGA and SCART use component video signals. The only difference is the horizontal frequency output by the device. It is perfectly possible for a VGA monitor to display output from a SCART device if it accepts the horizontal frequency. However, in this case the monitor does not.
    Reading into this far too much it seems that Scart to VGA might not be possible as the syncronisation signals can't be converted in that direction as SCART sends the sync data as a combined horizontal and vertical stream whereas VGA always uses separate sync signals. Whilst it's possible for VGA to send a combined signal SCART simply doesn't have the capability to send two sync signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    Also you'd be surprised at the amount of TVs that still do post-processing even if you tell it not to/configure it yourself. Although I'm not denying you can get better quality panels in TVs than some monitors.
    I tend not to game off that monitor very often, but I just tested minecraft across both the displays and I couldn't see any discernible lag. I don't think modern TVs (Particularly small monitor size ones) use too much post-processing on a monitor input.
    Last edited by Chippiewill; 23-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

I'm going to get a 32" LCD TV, wonder what it will look like

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I'm going to get a 32" LCD TV, wonder what it will look like
    I hope you don't plan to use it as a monitor, once you start getting above 30" they might stop caring about the use as a monitor quality. Also the resolution will still be a maximum 1080p so the pixel density will be terrible if you're within a metre or so of it.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

I hope you don't plan to use it as a monitor, once you start getting above 30" they might stop caring about the use as a monitor quality. Also the resolution will still be a maximum 1080p so the pixel density will be terrible if you're within a metre or so of it.
    Not mainly as a monitor but I might use it as one sometimes, who knows, its this one:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...har-lc32sh130k

Tokens

Latest Awards:

"1366 x 768" maxes out at 720p, you have no hope EVER of using that as a reasonable monitor, your eyes will develop painful sores first. Not that the resolution cap matters since it doesn't have a DVI input.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

"1366 x 768" maxes out at 720p, you have no hope EVER of using that as a reasonable monitor, your eyes will develop painful sores first. Not that the resolution cap matters since it doesn't have a DVI input.
    But why?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

But why?
    Low Resolution+Large Screen+Low Distance (For monitor use) = pixels the size of the moon.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zuth

Latest Awards:

Low Resolution+Large Screen+Low Distance (For monitor use) = pixels the size of the moon.
    I've just watched some vids on YouTube and they dont look too bad, ima see what it looks like on my dads TV now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12