HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Plain packaging: the Law of unintended consquences kicks in

Worth a watch (short video) at the idiocy of sweet sounding policies having negative effects.

Essentially the point is that EU legislation of plain packets for cigarettes will simply a) increase black market goods b) put companies out of business.

Thoughts?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

So black market goods will increase how? Because all packs will be easier to 'copy'? I suppose it would increase, but why would you buy black market goods in the first place, you should realise if it's cheap, there's probably something fishy about it...

Personally I think packaging of cigarettes would only appeal to younger kids who like shiny things, I think young teenagers are wise enough to see past that really, so I don't see how it will change much. I think hiding them from display is probably successful enough.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Ironically those who will be more likely to buy black market cigarettes will be younger people (children) as a) they'll be cheaper & b) easier to get hold of. This is what you get when you meddle in the market, even worse results than the thing your trying to stop.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say.

Tokens
    Habbo
    AlexJRiley

Latest Awards:

Itll increade black market goods as the video said because if its plain white, theres nothing to fault with it. Whenever watching the import programmes on TV they can generally always find a fault with the packaging that an expert would nothing. If its just plain white you cant make any packaging errors.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Let people kill themselves, I say. Just tax it to hell and back.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Mmmm tasty lead and cadmium

tbh if you're worried that it'll be young smokers who suffer more from this then it's a wasted effort on your part, since counterfeit cigarettes are already such a massive issue that a rise in black market availability will do little to nothing - anyone who cares enough to buy "healthier" (lol) cigs will always do it from shops anyway, and those who just want a cheap smoke are already able to get that regardless of what picture is printed on it. The far more pressing matter is the one of business shutting down and loss of revenue, and any argument against this move (which I quite agree is ridiculous and will do no good at all) should be based around that rather than speculations on illegal purchases
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Isn't that like saying if the vodka industry had to have plain packaging, people wouldn't buy the usual vodka such as Smirnoff because, for reasons unbeknownst to rational thought, Smirnoff Vodka would change flavour and desire, while the blackmarket would be rife with nicer tasting vodka? Same with the chocolate industry. Would you really buy unknown blackmarket chocolate because Cadbury's packaging had to become plain and white? It's still Cadbury's chocolate, just without the iconic purple wrapping.

The black market wouldn't see an increase in interest if Bensons and Hedsons had to have plain packaging. They've still got that smooth, fine flavour but without the gold or silver packing. Smoke up, kiddies!

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Margins on black market cigarettes are to the point where they don't care if you have to counterfeit complex or plain packaging. Really makes zero difference.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    :DnB

They've already put massive screens up in the shops so people cant see the baccy and ****, i dont see the point of this extra step...
    also YES it will make 'black market' ones easier to make, the little shops that sell **** and baccy under the counter will just be able to sell people any old ****... its bad enough with the screens up, i noticed prices went up at that exact time but you cant see the bloody prices any more, hmmmm very suspicious to be fair