HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    _HeyyItsHannah_

Latest Awards:

Default I Need A Classic!

So, this summer, I have been challenged to read ONE classic because I have never read one before. Like an actual classic. Like Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, etc. I really need a GOOD classic book that I can read! I've been looking but I really don't know!

So, do you recommend any? I have no idea what I am going to read! What's your favorite classic?

Also, I would rather not have one that is 1000 pages because I'm a good, but really SLOW reader. Took me 2 months to finish a Nicholas Sparks book. ;l

Thanks!
    moderator alert Thread moved by OddKrAtNo (Trialist Forum Moderator): from General (Discuss Anything) as I feel it is better suited here
    Last edited by Oddy; 12-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think
    -A.A Milne

Music is powerful.
    One song can change the mood, trigger a memory.
    One song can change your life.
    Listening to my heart

**|Live Life|Be Real|And Order Your Burger With Everything|12/28/14|**1/18/16**

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Any genres or particular types of plot/characters in mind? I can't personally stand any of the bronte classics or jane austen or virginia woolf or many female writers of the period cos their writing is so pretentious.

Perhaps looking at some of your favourite books so far might better inform a decision on what to read next but for me, the all time favourite classic would have to be lolita.

Tokens
    Habbo
    !:random!:!

Latest Awards:

The bible...

!:random!:! / Becky
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/bonkers_becky

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

I love Pride and Prejudice but I do find that they can be quite difficult to read if you're not used to it. That book is really really big too! You could try a smaller book (Persuasion is a shorter Austen book that's JUST as good as P&P) or Animal Farm, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

I've got a bunch more shorter classic novels (that's what I live off lately) if you want any more genre-specific recommendations

Tokens

There's a book called Little Women x it's good. Very good. Sad at some parts but it's very good book. You should try it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Go for the Gothics! Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde are good places to start (Frankenstein is probably the shortest/easiest of the three) but you could try something like The Bloody Chamber for a series of short stories published much more recently. I know the problem a lot of people have with the "stereotypical" classics (Jane Austen and whatnot) is that they just have no way to connect with them at all and nothing of modern day importance really seems to happen, but most of the Gothic genre is packed with action so give them a go!!

If you really want to go down the Jane Austen-style route I'd suggest Emma to start with. I loved that book but couldn't get through all of it until I was 16.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

WUTHERING HEIGHTS

Doing done it for A level - the first volume is great, the second not so much, but it's a lovely book, so you could always give it a try!

Tokens
    Habbo
    _HeyyItsHannah_

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by lawrawrrr View Post
    I love Pride and Prejudice but I do find that they can be quite difficult to read if you're not used to it. That book is really really big too! You could try a smaller book (Persuasion is a shorter Austen book that's JUST as good as P&P) or Animal Farm, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

I've got a bunch more shorter classic novels (that's what I live off lately) if you want any more genre-specific recommendations
    Is Animal Farm like really sad..? I feel like it would be about like animals getting slaughtered and gruesome stuff. Just by the title. aha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Empired View Post
    Go for the Gothics! Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde are good places to start (Frankenstein is probably the shortest/easiest of the three) but you could try something like The Bloody Chamber for a series of short stories published much more recently. I know the problem a lot of people have with the "stereotypical" classics (Jane Austen and whatnot) is that they just have no way to connect with them at all and nothing of modern day importance really seems to happen, but most of the Gothic genre is packed with action so give them a go!!

If you really want to go down the Jane Austen-style route I'd suggest Emma to start with. I loved that book but couldn't get through all of it until I was 16.
    What time period does Jane Austen write in? I heard some people talk about Emma. But I have heard off and on opinions.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think
    -A.A Milne

Music is powerful.
    One song can change the mood, trigger a memory.
    One song can change your life.
    Listening to my heart

**|Live Life|Be Real|And Order Your Burger With Everything|12/28/14|**1/18/16**

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by _HeyyitsHannah_ View Post
    Is Animal Farm like really sad..? I feel like it would be about like animals getting slaughtered and gruesome stuff. Just by the title. aha.

- - - Updated - - -

What time period does Jane Austen write in? I heard some people talk about Emma. But I have heard off and on opinions.
    Early 1800s, Emma was published in 1815

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by _HeyyitsHannah_ View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Not as far as I can remember! The animals are anthropomorphised (have human characteristics) and its a comment on the politics of the time, but it doesn't like, rely on that. But it's not about literally raising animals on a farm and going to the slaughterhouse, no haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk