HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    thms

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    Disappointed by the amount of replies yet lack of any real constructive criticism.

A few issues I can see by looking at it:
    1. Shading and colours
    The shading is a bit... off. The box furni, for example, I don't get why the closest corner is not only the brightest part, but also a pure white - it shouldn't be. The colours used for yellow are bad too, but I've always had some difficulty shading yellow. You should look at some actual yellow furni and see how "professionals" do it as a means to understanding how to properly select yellow colours.
    The light source is also a bit off in some places so make sure you keep an eye on the shading you do and that it all is lit from the same direction(s).
    I also don't get the shading in the toad hat, is it meant to be indented in the blue bits? If it's meant to be smooth just shade it with the rest of the hat.

2. Transformations
    You can't simply rotate a sprite and expect it to look like it should - it won't. Rotating images will just mess with the perspective and make it look imperfect (it will also mess with shading!).
    I would also say, though this is a more personal preference, not to use the same tile size for small and large Habbos and not to mix them in the same section. They literally just look like tiny Habbos at the moment, rather than it simply being the camera "zoomed out" if that makes sense.

3. Outlines
    You seem to bounce between black outlines, coloured outlines and I think in at least one case, no outline? As far as Habbo is concerned, you should really stick with black outlines for the most part. The only time I would personally not use a black outline, and the times when it seems best not to use a black outline, is when it's the same object in a fairly small area in which case you would probably just use a darker colour of whatever the black line would be against.

4. Shadow Inconsistency
    You included shadows in some places, but not in others. Not much more to it than that.

I think that's about all I can see at the moment, definitely some potential but nobody is without room for improvement.
    disappointed? soz graphics god. well maybe it's because we'd rather admire it than criticize it, or we just don't see the need to criticize it cause we actually like it? i wouldn't even know where to begin with 'constructive criticism' anyway

Tokens
    Habbo
    Wennn.

Latest Awards:

Wow I am absolutely blown away! So original and creative. Love love love the colour palette! Reminds me of Monument Valley, which is one of my favourite games ever. I would totally use this as a wallpaper. Well done, mate

@habboxgraphics on Twitter

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Overall the look of the piece as a whole is excellent and I really love the bleeds and fades on the elevators and paint spills, but I do have to say I don't like the shading on those yellow boxes - it just doesn't quite work with that off-gold darkened tone you've got on the supposedly shadowed side. Also the use of things stuck on sideways on the bottom part could have been interesting for an Escher effect but doesn't sit right because of how isometrics work so they've ended up just looking a little out of place, not a fault of the furni itself but it doesn't work just plonking them at a right angle because they won't match their new surfaces that way. Generally though it's a really fun piece with lots of nice bits involved, I think the Toad hats would be a real hit throughout the hotel and the little "Hooba"s are ridiculously cute
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by thms View Post
    disappointed? soz graphics god. well maybe it's because we'd rather admire it than criticize it, or we just don't see the need to criticize it cause we actually like it? i wouldn't even know where to begin with 'constructive criticism' anyway
    I get you're meant to be insulting me, but surely if I thought of myself as a "graphics god" I would simply say your opinion was irrelevant? If anything, I'm basically frustrated nobody expands further on their opinions. Providing constructive criticism doesn't mean you can't "admire" something, it simply provides a means for the creator to improve upon what they've done. Going to refer to a point I made about the yellow block here. It's clear, as he stated, he was inspired by Mario:

Simply by comparison to the one in his alteration, you can see the colours he used for the block isn't quite right and it's quite possible he doesn't realise this. There's a reason at school etc. teachers tell you to get relatives and friends to read coursework, because you won't necessarily notice the mistakes yourself and if someone is genuinely trying to improve on something, saying "this is beautiful" provides very little benefit. I get people don't necessarily like to do posts like mine as it has, and probably still is, seen as "nasty" because it's mostly pointing out flaws and is very blunt so if you want to take a more "positive" approach to constructive criticism, take out the parts you like specifically and you think are done well (like in Drews post). At the end of the day, constructive criticism is *mostly* the opinion of the poster and he can ignore it if he really wants but it's better to have something to work off, than to not.

tl;dr learn the difference between constructive criticism and outright criticism, they are not the same thing

Tokens
    Habbo
    thms

Latest Awards:

I get you're meant to be insulting me, but surely if I thought of myself as a "graphics god" I would simply say your opinion was irrelevant? If anything, I'm basically frustrated nobody expands further on their opinions. Providing constructive criticism doesn't mean you can't "admire" something, it simply provides a means for the creator to improve upon what they've done. Going to refer to a point I made about the yellow block here. It's clear, as he stated, he was inspired by Mario:

Simply by comparison to the one in his alteration, you can see the colours he used for the block isn't quite right and it's quite possible he doesn't realise this. There's a reason at school etc. teachers tell you to get relatives and friends to read coursework, because you won't necessarily notice the mistakes yourself and if someone is genuinely trying to improve on something, saying "this is beautiful" provides very little benefit. I get people don't necessarily like to do posts like mine as it has, and probably still is, seen as "nasty" because it's mostly pointing out flaws and is very blunt so if you want to take a more "positive" approach to constructive criticism, take out the parts you like specifically and you think are done well (like in Drews post). At the end of the day, constructive criticism is *mostly* the opinion of the poster and he can ignore it if he really wants but it's better to have something to work off, than to not.

tl;dr learn the difference between constructive criticism and outright criticism, they are not the same thing
    i'm definitely not insulting you i'm just saying we all don't feel the need to critique everything, whether constructive or not, so your 'disappointment' is misplaced.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by thms View Post
    i'm definitely not insulting you i'm just saying we all don't feel the need to critique everything, whether constructive or not, so your 'disappointment' is misplaced.
    Probably, but I still hold on to a graphics forum from ~2008
    holy shit it's been 8+ years

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism or compliments! Everyone has different skills and ways of interacting, some will want to praise and some will want to use their expertise to help someone improve, and that's fine but there's no need to criticise the other replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_Plant View Post
    Omg this is epic! no way am i anywhere near this!
    It's not true! I saw one of your graphic works and they are good. That's why you're working here
    Thank you anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Wow I am absolutely blown away! So original and creative. Love love love the colour palette! Reminds me of Monument Valley, which is one of my favourite games ever. I would totally use this as a wallpaper. Well done, mate
    Thanks D!
    I do not know if you will believe me, but I did not know this game yet! And YES they are very similar. Actually too much. I think I'll create a different texture in the next time, like a lava floor. This similarity is kind of disturbing, now hah D:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    Overall the look of the piece as a whole is excellent and I really love the bleeds and fades on the elevators and paint spills, but I do have to say I don't like the shading on those yellow boxes - it just doesn't quite work with that off-gold darkened tone you've got on the supposedly shadowed side. Also the use of things stuck on sideways on the bottom part could have been interesting for an Escher effect but doesn't sit right because of how isometrics work so they've ended up just looking a little out of place, not a fault of the furni itself but it doesn't work just plonking them at a right angle because they won't match their new surfaces that way. Generally though it's a really fun piece with lots of nice bits involved, I think the Toad hats would be a real hit throughout the hotel and the little "Hooba"s are ridiculously cute
    Yeah! Yellow is a difficult color to work with, and perhaps its tone has not given that 'golden' idea as planned. thank you.

Funny that you mentioned about Escher because I thought a lot about his work when I started to put the tiles on the vertical angle. And well, it was an ambitious attempt and it was little planned also, I know. The chances of failure were high, because there's an essential alignment, that obviously did not work using the horizontal tile model! It wouldn't work at the actual game

Hobbas huh? They are cute but unfortunately, sooner or later, someone will have to step on them! Aww..
    Again, thanks for you att, Jesus! It helped a lot

Hey Dragon ball!
    I usually consider the ppl's opinion in general as abstract as art itself! People comment our art according to their personal experiences and tastes, and some of them are heart-warming or even "harder", like they say. Usually these are people who types the "bad", precise criticisms, but it's just a way to make the artist does not stop his progress!
    It is known that the compliments are important forms of recognition and reward but on the other hand, it can also be dangerous since it induces the artist to fall into the stability and conformity. We both understand that, so thanks God there are critics. They are always welcome, a necessary support, as well as the compliments. Some people don't understand it. That's why they give up I guess

1- It is true about the central edge of the box. I forgot this detail D:: I know many cases which the pure white color caused some problems, especially in the badges. I have a badge at the BR hotel with 2 giraffes with transparent eyes. Man.. it's too ugly. If I'm not mistaken, it is the color they use to substitute for transparency! I'll remember this.
    I know it right, the yellow in pixel art is such a challenge.
    I tried to do the whole job without using any reference to see how far I could get, and really, this yellow used on the boxes do not match the original yellow haha. This sounds like a deader, greener color without looking like real gold. The dark shade of yellow has a strange contrast. It's tough to make it right, but I'll study it. I noticed that I can adjust the yellow into something next to the gold only by changing its hue
    And yess, the spotlight is very confusing. I needed a week to notice this hahahah.
    Now I'll always follow a definitive reference to make it all right

2- I have already said this with Jesus
    The "Escher" perspective was risky, the failure possibilities were big. And it seems like is not aligned with the right vertical perspective. Anyway, I will study an effective perspective for this "Escher" effect and try the classic Public room's zoomed out 8x8 tile size!

3- This was experimental! At first, everything was covered with black lines but I started to try different colors to see if I could make a different pattern and maybe get a different experience, with different colors illustrating a certain place in the right way. good advice.

You're right, there's always room for improvement, even if you have a 10 days/months/years/centuries experience! It's a personal process, to find what you really like to do and develop our style, like, forever.

Thank you D
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrawrrr View Post
    There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism or compliments! Everyone has different skills and ways of interacting, some will want to praise and some will want to use their expertise to help someone improve, and that's fine but there's no need to criticise the other replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's ok L! Every kind of comment are ALWAYS welcome. Even the no-warmhearted ones XD
    This is the only way to improve. We both know that there's not an other way.
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 03-02-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    ThomasLaws

Latest Awards:

Well I think its stunning! I know very little of pixel art but its so pretty! You have some good talent
    Just a kid drowning in A levels.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasLaws View Post
    Well I think its stunning! I know very little of pixel art but its so pretty! You have some good talent
    Hey DJ! Thanks for you support
    I'll let you know that you make a great job as well. Don't let the music stop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast