HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default The should the next doctor who lead be female debate (and forced equality in media)

For those who haven't heard, Peter Capaldi has announced this years series (series 10 - starting in about April I think) will be his last. Sadly it makes sense, as the next series will be a new showrunner so he will probably want to start afresh. This has caused debates on who could replace him and also debates on if the show is ready for a female incarnation. What do people think about this? Should the doctor stay male?

I think the doctor should stay male and the reason for this debate is the fact that it seems people who believe this are automatically deemed sexist. There's nothing sexist about wanting a male character to remain male. The doctor has always been male. I think it may have been different if we'd got a female regeneration early on, but to have basically a full regeneration cycle as a male, well surely probability would have stated if we where to have a female we already should have had one.

I think this isn't just a problem for doctor who though - I mean look at the 3rd Ghostbuster film. Admittingly I have not seen the reboot, but I know it seemed to flop. I think the problem is rather than trying to create new exciting original content, certain feminists and SJWs are trying to change already established characters.

What I also find interesting is the fact that these same people would probably kick off if we did the same thing. For example I never watched it but heard there's a remake of Xena: Princess Warrior. I don't see anyone complaining about how her character has always been a female and I bet if they decided to turn him male, these people would be outraged and call it sexist, so why can they do the same?

It seems that there's a lot of forced equality in media today. I have no problem with equality, but it should never be forced. For example taking doctor who, it's new spin off class felt very list ticking, like they were trying to include characters from every background. It shouldn't be like that. I only hope show's like doctor who don't bend to peer pressure. If the BBC do decide to have a female doctor, as much as I would prefer they didn't, I only hope they choose someone because they fit the part rather than a list ticking agenda.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Doctor Who is a man so no.

Tokens
    Habbo
    hungryfront

Latest Awards:

The world seems to have this idea that a lead character can never be a straight white male and targets anybody who has that. Yes, it's out of proportion and I totally think minorities should be marching for it, however people who do things shouldn't be targeted. There shouldn't be a 0% chance of a straight white male getting a role, it should be equal.

Yes, this was aimed at everything BuzzFeed says, trying to shoot men down.
    just here to be political considering there's been a pretty one-sided viewpoint on here for a couple of years x

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Truth is we have straight white males as lead roles because the main audiences are straight white males (or females) and that's what they want to see. And what the audience wants the audience ought to get. Straight guys don't want to see a gay spiderman kiss his boyfriend, its off putting to them. Straight white women on the other hand don't want to see an overweight Chinese lesbian in a lead role because they want to see someone they find attractive/drawn to. And frankly, as a gay guy myself I don't want to see PC garbage either.

If minorities want to get in on film etc then why don't they go and write their own scripts, produce them and see how they fare in the cinema or on television. Answer: they'll flop or at the very best be minor motion pictures like so many LGBTXYZ films/shows.

Loser liberal-left wing SJWs are trying to hijack well known brands to force their agenda. And look what we get, Ghostbusters RIP.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 06-02-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Wispur

Latest Awards:

I don't care either way really. I think it would be a bit strange at first, but maybe refreshing!
    Former General Manager
    Former Forum Manager
    Former Site Manager

I've left, but I still visit sometimes!

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

The biggest problem with switching to a female lead is that showrunners then tend to make the entire thing ABOUT them being female, rather than being a character. I personally don't care either way because I think Dr Who is a terrible show, but if they do change to a lady Doc I can see it being a series of "look what I can do huahhhhhh gurl powa" like with the abomination that was the new Ghostbusters, and especially with a show like Dr Who where the character changes bodies it should be about the character and not the body it's in
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +
    Like Sho, LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    hungryfront

Latest Awards:

People like people that are similar to themselves. White men want to see white men. White women want to see white women. Take a look at your real life friendship group - mine are mostly white. It's not intentional, it's subconscious.

Anyway, it's all about the target audience.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    just here to be political considering there's been a pretty one-sided viewpoint on here for a couple of years x

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJesus View Post
    The biggest problem with switching to a female lead is that showrunners then tend to make the entire thing ABOUT them being female, rather than being a character. I personally don't care either way because I think Dr Who is a terrible show, but if they do change to a lady Doc I can see it being a series of "look what I can do huahhhhhh gurl powa" like with the abomination that was the new Ghostbusters, and especially with a show like Dr Who where the character changes bodies it should be about the character and not the body it's in
    Yeah I can see this happening. The problem is that you can't just have a character who has been male for 50 years suddenly change to a female without any mention in the same way that someone wouldn't just change sex in the real worlr without saying anything. We should also remember the doctor has a wife, granddaughter etc. all things that would effect a sudden sex change.

The problem however is how they would address this. If the show turns it into a running gag like they did with the red nose day spoof from many years ago then the show will just become a joke.

I can also see complaints from the female if they make her too strong that she's just there for eye candy yet if they add weakness they will see it as men saying women are weak.

Like others have mentioned the best way is to leave the character male. There's nothing wrong with the show having strong females working alongside the doctor. Hell for a show that femenists often claim is sexist it's surprising how often the lead female gets more airtime and generally saves the doctor and the day.

If that's not enough for femenists then make your own show instead of hijacking something else

Tokens
    Habbo
    iBlueBox

Latest Awards:

The next Doctor will be a male, 100% guarantee. I don't care about race or skin colour. But I can guarantee it'll be a young handsome male.

The show at the moment is in a status of falling viewership and terrible writing arguably. With them changing show runner, and doctor it gives them a 100% chance to get the viewing figures back up.

They'll probably go young and male as they know that works.

I'ld hate the Doctor becoming a female character, I mean it may work, but its too much of a risk. Its like making James Bond female.

Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Doctor Who isn't real?? Why are we ok with a weirdo hopping round in a POLICE BOX that can take him through space and time but the moment a second X chromosome is mentioned everyone freaks out? Surely what with the Doctor being a fictional character he can be whatever the writers imagine him to be.

And no, I don't think it would be a good idea for the next Doctor to be female for the reasons iBlueBox mentioned above^.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast