HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Default Are self-driving vehicles a good idea?

Self-driving cars. Uber. Autonomous operations. Is it really a good idea? Quite the interesting stuff we've seen come out these past few years. Cars that are driving themselves with humans on the road - Uber Technologies being the biggest producer. Think of a world where all of the cars, taxis, etc drive themselves. Does that sound good to you?

We have two sides of the story:

Self-driving vehicles are our future and are shaping our ever evolving technological society. The ease of having self-driving cars would greatly improve the lives of our people. Self-driving cars will and are perfectly safe. Loads of time go into developing these vehicles to follow specific commands based on our human input. Accidents caused by the car will not happen.

OR:

Self-driving vehicles are a danger in a time where we have very stupid drivers. Regardless of whether or not the vehicles are safe and up to standard as created by highly strategic/problem-solving scientists, there's a multitude of confusion when it comes to lawsuits if someone is hurt. Is the car liable? Or is it the vehicle's occupants? We can't afford to suffer through the mess. Just as well, no robot can make a life-saving decision like a human can in a time of danger.

You might be able to tell where I stand on the issue based on what I have typed. Let me know what you think, and debate!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Habbic

Latest Awards:

It is the future, AI will be able to drive a lot better than humans and predict future actions a lot better than a human.

Their integration with normal drivers is where it's dangerous as humans actions cannot be calculated, so it would be hard to program human actions as they're mostly illogical.

If all cars on the road were self-driving it would be a hell of a lot less dangerous than currently.

My only issue is driving would be a lot more boring if I'm not actually driving.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Undoubtedly safer, but I'm always interested in how, in a situation where a crash is absolutely inevitable and someone will be injured, the car decides which person will be the one injured. Obviously it's going to be some kinda utilitarian approach, but I do wonder how people would feel about it.
    /
    Like Landon Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by scottish View Post
    If all cars on the road were self-driving it would be a hell of a lot less dangerous than currently.
    Then we'd have issues about some self-driving car companies being compatible on the road with other self-driving technology and many fights and wars about whose fault certain things were. It'd suck

Tokens
    Habbo
    Habbic

Latest Awards:

There wouldn't be anyone at fault as there wouldn't be accidents as every action is predictable and calculated.

Humans are unpredictable and their actions cannot be calculated = accidents occur.

Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

There wouldn't be anyone at fault as there wouldn't be accidents as every action is predictable and calculated.

Humans are unpredictable and their actions cannot be calculated = accidents occur.
    That is a good point. I guess we'll only be able to tell when that time comes if our programming and AI is good enough for it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Sadly i don't think it will be simple as that. One issue is technology is never 100 percent reliable.

I've heard of someone who's breaks stopped working going down a hill and it was either hit the back of another vehicle or hit children. The safest thing was to hit the vehicle and the person inside that vehicle was fine. The issue is how a computer would act in this situation.

Humans might bring risk but they also bring other things such as intuition.
    Like Landon Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    hungryfront

Latest Awards:

If all cars were on one "network" and could communicate with each other, it'd work. They'd communicate like "I'm changing lane now watch yourself", "yeah I'm braking", so they wouldn't crash

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    just here to be political considering there's been a pretty one-sided viewpoint on here for a couple of years x

Tokens
    Habbo
    landonxd

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by hungryfront View Post
    If all cars were on one "network" and could communicate with each other, it'd work. They'd communicate like "I'm changing lane now watch yourself", "yeah I'm braking", so they wouldn't crash

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    That would start a monopoly. Modern business doesn't work like that. Always gonna be competition.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Habbic

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    That would start a monopoly. Modern business doesn't work like that. Always gonna be competition.
    Just because they use one 'network' doesn't mean they can't talk to other cars by different competitors.

It could simply be a protocol in which they communicate and would standardised among all car manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast